DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Yamaha Double Pedal 8210-Deal or No Deal?

I found a sale on Yamaha Double 8210 pedals. It's just a single chain drive pedal and it's going for $199. I've never had or used really a double pedal but this seems like a good deal for someone who's not trying to break any speed records here. Yamaha pedals always seem to be decent. I just don't want to spend that much on something that might just fall apart, so if anyone has played on these can you give some feedback please.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yamaha Double Pedal 8210-Deal or No Deal?

Basically a single chain version of the Flying Dragon and now discontinued. http://www.giardinelli.com/product/Y...77&src=AWFRWXX Felt very similar to the DW5000 to me, I bought a used DW5000 double for $150. Used it for several years, then sold it for $150 on eBay. Certainly the Yamaha will be a quality pedal. I have two Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive single pedals and for me, they are the pedal. I can't imagine any "falling apart" issues with Yamaha. I'm hooked on their hardware for the opposite reason. Some of the best built stuff out there.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Yamaha makes a quality product but I would check to see how much they are going for on e-bay or craigs list. For some reason $199 sounds a little high to me. If you can find a double chain version or a direct drive I'd look at those. I had the dW 5000 single chain pedal for years and tried some of the newer 5000 with the double chain and I thought it felt better, though I ended up with the 9000 in the end. The yamaha flying dragon direct drives have allot of people loving them, never had one in any store locally for me to try so I can't comment but doesn't sound like you could go wrong with one of them either.

In the end the pedal you are looking at I think would serve you well, just do some price checking.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Most double pedals I see are usually more than $200. I don't know very much about bass pedals really other than some work and some don't. I trust Yamaha and Tama and Ludwig Speedkings but that's about it. A plus is the big felt beaters which I like but you can always buy different beaters so that isn't a real concern. I will not not buy anything from Pearl. I don't know enough about DW stuff with all those different numbers.

I did find for the same price a Yamaha 8110 which is the same thing but a strap drive. I guess this one is not discontinued. Now I have to decide single chain or strap drive. This is where I have no idea on what to pick.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Since you trust Ludwig Speed Kings, check this out http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ng+floor+plate a Speed King with a floor plate. You really need to drag your feet down to the drum shop and get them on as many pedals as you can. If you have to "buy blind" so to speak, off the internet, Vex has a double pedal for $99. http://www.vexdirect.com/ A few members on this forum have this pedal and seem very happy with it. Just so you know there are options to spending "over $200". And don't give up on the Pearls. Dennis Chambers seems to do alright with his. I played every pedal I could, and the Pearl Eliminator was in my top 5.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Any drum stores for me are over 1 hour away and only carry like 2-4 pedals in the store. These are usually DW Pacific something cheap, something Pearl, and Iron Cobras. I guess the trick is to get you to buy Iron Cobras. I've played on a few in my life and never cared for them. Most of it has to do with the beaters though. I always thought if I bought another pedal it would be a Ludwig Speed King. Mainly because they are so simple they can't not work (unless you leave it rust for 30 years or throw it around and hold it together with Duct tape--both of these are examples of Speed Kings I've seen over the years). People keep asking me if I play double bass and they seem do disappointed when I say no. Then again, half the world thinks that loud fast noises=better drummer. Then again I think it would be fun to start playing double pedal sometime. Perhaps do some Louie Bellson fills or something. With that Yamaha pedal I've played on the single version and this one just a double version so it should work the same. Now I've no idea whether to pick strap or chain drive though. Can't say I've ever played on a strap pedal. I've played on pedals with chains, broken chains, and hinges (speed kings and such) though. I don't know what dual chains do for you either. Then again I don't like the idea of more parts that could develop problems so maybe the strap is better. I know for my college pep band playing, I'm really thinking I would like a double pedal to take around. I just don't want anything Pearl, for every piece of equipment, hardware or drum, new or old has had something wrong with it that I've ever seen. My senior year of high school our drumline got all new drums and carriers...all Pearl (the old ones were Yamaha). These drums had problems from when they came out the boxes. One snare, the black wrap bubbled up. The harness would come undone themselves because they couldn't support the drums for some reason, etc. etc. My college has two sets of drums lying around. One is a 70s Rogers that is missing a bottom head,rim on the 13" tom and a few other parts but is still holding up well and sounding well. The other is a 80s/90s Pearl Export which cannot even be assembled into a functional drumset. Even individually the drums sound awful. There was a piece in concert band in which I used two floor toms. One was the rogers and the other the Pearl Export with the stripped leg so it leans to one side and has to be propped up. The Pearl has a Pinstripe on it which still doesn't control the nasty sounds that come from it. The Rogers, old as it is with a worn out Emperor/Diplomat combo still sounds big and full. In fact every drumset I've ever played on was either a broken Pearl or a overmuffled Yamaha Stage Custom. Even comparing Pearl Masters concert snares with Grover or Black Swamp is out of the question. Anyway, back to pedals...should I go for chain drive or strap drive?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Pioneer Member

I've owned 3 speedkings in my life when I first started playing and they were good pedals though all 3 developed the infamous "squeak" to them. I had problems the the bottom plate under the footboard breaking. If you have a somewhat heavy foot or play allot of heal up I wouldn't recommend them, I just don't think they are that durable. The yamaha flying dragon direct drive uses the same principle and looks to be designed much sturdier.

The strap from my understanding gives you more of a floating feel to your pedal. The double chain I don't think is extra parts to break, those things are very durable. I just feel the double adds more feel to the pedal and takes out some of the side to side play that I've experienced with a single chain. It just makes the pedal feel more solid and smooth to me.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Well, it sounds like you're a happy single kick player that wants to "explore" the dark side. That Yamaha chain drive you have your sights on now is as good a place to start as any. If only for educational purposes, check out eBay. Just type in "double bass pedal" and about 122 pedal auctions will come up.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Pioneer Member

I think I'll hold off on one for a while at put the money towards heads which are the primary concern anyway. I'll probably end up spending that much in heads. Have four tom batters and 2 bass heads to replace along with two snare batters. Thanks for the help though, and I'm keeping that Yamaha pedal in mind should I decide to buy it later.