DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 AM

Default My new set(s) up! (pics)

This is the spectator's view of my new set up. All DW except for BB snare (14x5), all new. Even the cymbals are fairly new except for the HH sabian Jazz ride. The kick is 18 x 22 and the toms are 10, 12, 14, and 16 inches (all fast tom sizes). Elminator pedals. All New DW hardware except for a few things.

This is the right side of my set up from the cockpit. The ride on the right is a 22" Hi Bell Medium Thin (low) Zildjian Constantinople. The ride on the left is my 20" Hand Hammered Sabian Jazz ride (great ride). the china is a 17" K Custom Dark China. The crash just left of the Sabian ride is a 16" thin K dark crash. The splash next to it is a 10" K custom Dark Splash. The 10" tom is tuned to C#. The 12" tom is tuned to F#. The 14" tom is tuned to C#. The 16" tom is tuned to G#. I'm new to the whole tuning the drums in particular intervals and all but it sounds great! Still have to get the snare and kick tuned to where they'll fit in. And you can just barely see the rock n soc throne here.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Re: My new set(s) up! (pics)

Christ those are beautiful! Wow man, nice!

Although, I wish that stand wasnt right in front of the bass drum...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:16 AM

The crash to the left of my splash is an 18" Medium Thin K Dark Crash. The hats are 14" K custom sessions. Also a woodblock, cowbell (just above the bass drum and under the two toms), and my tambourine (all latin percussion) which I mount on my hi hat stand fairly often.

And this is my Clavinova. My piano which allows me to do whatever I want. This is what i used to tune my DWs today. Piano is a member of the percussion family so i'm still just a percussionist.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:19 AM

Cool. But is that throne placed in the position in which you sit while you play?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 AM

My TD-20, before I moved it downstairs and put my DWs in its place.

This is one of the last 20 handmade Steinway and Sons upright pianos. It has been in our family since my father was a kid and my brother and I are still trying to figure out who gets it!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 AM

Here's proof it's a Steinway.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
Cool. But is that throne placed in the position in which you sit while you play?
I believe it is. Let me go check... Sure is.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 AM

Im portant notes. All toms are mounted on tom stands. NOTHING is mounted on the bass. The stand in front of the Kick is what is sneaking my cowbell in that narrow opening. Angleing the snare away from you is a great way to get a little closer to your kit. It creates room and doesn't really take any getting use to. I keep it that way whether i'm playing match, traditional, etc. Both kits are wonderful. Thanks to the wife for allowing me to fill our bedroom with drums :-). Feel free with the questions. I'd be happy to answer any and of course would appreciate feedback.

Last edited by thatoneguy; 09-02-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-02-2007, 07:35 AM

Cool man, i was just wondering. Seemed close to me, but if thats your style, rock it!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
Cool man, i was just wondering. Seemed close to me, but if thats your style, rock it!
Yah, it's definitely close. I don't know that it has much affect on my playing. I do feel it allows me to be slightly more dynamic (being up, close, and personal with kit). Dunno though. Could be placebo effect.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Gold Member

Your drumkit is really top notch, but I would be concerned with the angles. If you play traditional your snare might be good, but do the toms really play comfy for you?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Your drumkit is really top notch, but I would be concerned with the angles. If you play traditional your snare might be good, but do the toms really play comfy for you?
Traditional works great with the snare and floor toms but takes some definite getting used to with the two small toms the way they're angled. Really it is a mattet of elevating my left forearm nearly straight up and down to where the angle of the trad hand striking the toms is square with the angle of the toms. I may have made that sound complicated, it's not. It doesn't take anything away from my ability to play traditional around the kit. It makes more sense to me this way than any other. EDIT: I just did some experimenting. Scratch the straight up and down. It is more like a 45 degree angle. It feels like a natural transition to me. These angles are easier for me (traditional) than when I flattened one out a bit. When I flattened my small tom out, i was noticeably uncomfortable with my match hand. These angles suit any grip I use (match, trad, french or german, hybrid grip somewhere between french and german). See the logic? What do you do with your toms to suit traditional?

Last edited by thatoneguy; 09-02-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:36 AM
KARL MEMBER

Cool stuff. Though I don`t think that it`ll be tuned to the particular notes forever.
However, great kit and cymbals. How is that Hi-bell medium Ride?? How much is the weight?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome setup mate.

I totally agree with the snare angle too - mines the same, but I play Trad most of the time.

Im not sure I could cope with the small tom angles though, Buy I play a four piece anyway, so I dont have that issue.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 09-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Cool stuff. Though I don`t think that it`ll be tuned to the particular notes forever.
However, great kit and cymbals. How is that Hi-bell medium Ride?? How much is the weight?

Karl
It will be as long as I have a piano =)
Old 09-02-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Awesome setup mate.

I totally agree with the snare angle too - mines the same, but I play Trad most of the time.

Im not sure I could cope with the small tom angles though, Buy I play a four piece anyway, so I dont have that issue.
I can do a a few things with this set up that I don't think i could ever do with flatter toms.. Once i get my video camera back i'll show yall what i'm talking about.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:26 PM

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/r...mesgroove.html Here is a clip of Holmes busting a groove in traditional with angled toms.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/showdown.html -Here's three drum GODs all playing traditional, all with angled toms (to varying degress). Vinnie's are steep here. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to try it but just trying to show that you can angle your toms however you want as long as your playing isn't compromised.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/r...mesgroove.html Here is a clip of Holmes busting a groove in traditional with angled toms.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/showdown.html -Here's three drum GODs all playing traditional, all with angled toms (to varying degress). Vinnie's are steep here. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to try it but just trying to show that you can angle your toms however you want as long as your playing isn't compromised.

I don't think they meant completely flat. I know personally your toms are borderline extreme for my taste, but like you said, as long as your playing isn't compromised. Love those clips, and sweet drums.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppieNerd View Post
I don't think they meant completely flat. I know personally your toms are borderline extreme for my taste, but like you said, as long as your playing isn't compromised. Love those clips, and sweet drums.
Thanks buddy, appreciate it.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM

never really understood why pianos count as percussion (yeah, i guess you strike the keys) or is it the hammer action that counts as percussive? but the sound is generated by strings.. Do synths count? MIDI controllers? aggh!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtak View Post
never really understood why pianos count as percussion (yeah, i guess you strike the keys) or is it the hammer action that counts as percussive? but the sound is generated by strings.. Do synths count? MIDI controllers? aggh!
Yah, it is a bit unusual to most people I think. And I have no idea what the actual reasoning is behind it.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Silver Member

I love that sparkle! Wow! Nice kit. I just bought all the same size drums as you have there, but I have no hardware or cymbals yet. I'm leaning toward the Pearl pedals though. How do you like your Roland td-20? I may buy the td-12 in the near future. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the V-DRUMS. How do yo weigh in on that?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
I love that sparkle! Wow! Nice kit. I just bought all the same size drums as you have there, but I have no hardware or cymbals yet. I'm leaning toward the Pearl pedals though. How do you like your Roland td-20? I may buy the td-12 in the near future. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the V-DRUMS. How do yo weigh in on that?
The Roland is great. I have played it many many hours over these past months and encountered no problems. Really, the only downside to the Roland kits is the price. I also play with eliminator pedals and recommend them as well.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Silver Member

Ya - the Rolands are pricey, but good to hear that you encountered no problems so far. Do you have Powershifter pedals? If not, have you heard of any feedback from others that play them?