DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Kendrick Scott

Has anyone heard of this drummer Kendrick Scotto??? I just saw him perform at the Telluride Jazz Fest with the Terrance Blanchard Sextet. He is an incredibly powerful and dynamic jazz drummer. Awesome chops and lots of sensetivity to the rest of the group. These guys were all truly world-class players and if anyone gets the chance I would highly suggest checking them out!

Also, if anyone really has heard of this guy, let me know where else I might find some recordings..... Thanks.....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Kendrick Scotto @ Telluride Jazz Fest

Scott...not "Scotto" :)

buy the new Patrick Cornelius CD. He sounds great on it. I think you can find it on cdbaby.com
Old 08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Scott??? They have him listed as Scotto (which I thought sounded odd) in the program... I'm thankful for the reccomendation. Maybe I should change the title of my thread then too.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM

hahaha

I think it's kind of funny the way it is. But, yeah, get Patrick's CD. Those guys have a lot of chemistry together.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Kendrick Scott

I LOVE Kendrick Scott. All the stuff he does with terence blanchard is killer. I highly suggest terrence blanchard;s new CD A Tale of God;s Will (Requiem For Katrina). He grooves soooo hard.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 AM

they might have made that mistake beacause his own stuff is labeled Kendrick Scott Oracle, which i haven't heard a lot of, but what i have heard is pretty killin.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Pioneer Member

A thread ressurected!!! I was actually checking out clip of him on youtube this week. He is awesome. I haven't had a chance to check out any of his Oracle album yet though.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 AM

He's a beast.
And a very nice guy too.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 AM
Erik Lund

I went to a summer drum class at Berklee back in '98 and found myself in the top jazz class, with 5 other drummers. A couple older cats from Italy and Spain, a 15 year old kid from Matt Wilson's hometown (studied with Matt), someone I totally don't remember much of at all, and Kendrick Scott. At the time, I'd say it was either the Spanish or Italian guy, and then Kendrick, in terms of playing. He was 18 and on his way to Berklee in the fall (full scholarship, I believe).

We had the priviledge to be studying with a great teacher/player Robert Kaufman, who was the one who really shoved Elvin Jones down my throat (it was almost an "Elvin" styles class, which was fine with me, since I didn't really know him much at the time). Kendrick was from Houston, and you could tell he was a badass but still a little underdeveloped. I was surprised when I was able to play some of the things Kaufman was showing us but Kendrick couldn't quite grasp it. I would see him in the practice rooms, working on those things, VERY slowly and I remember thinking "This guy is so much better than me, why can't he get it?"

Two days later, in class, Kaufman asks him how it's coming, and he plays the exercise but not just playing it - he was owning it. Learned it forwards and backwards and using it in a musical way. And here I was just playing it on the surface, *just* getting it and not letting it fall apart.

I got to hang with him in the dorms here and there, and just being around Kendrick - seeing what made him excited - made me realize there was more to other aspects of music that I used to shrug off. We were in the basement of the dorms one night eating pizza and watching Late Night - And Kendrick was excited about seeing the drummer. It was a hip hop group playing as the guest band that night (don't remember who it was) And I never once thought about really checking out a drummer playing hip hop - and the drummer - this big fat guy who dwarfed the kit whips off this amazing fill around the kit in this super-slick way and Kendrick yells "WWWOOOOOOOO!!!!" and starts laughing and falling off his chair. "That guy is KILLIN' IT!" and I started looking at those drummers in this whole new light - 'cuz that guy WAS killin' it. I just never bothered to notice before.

Kendrick also knew his jazz. I was still a newb in a lot of ways - *thinking* I knew jazz, with my Sonny Rollins Cd's, Jazz Messengers, some Basie, and a few other things - Kendrick is talkin' with our teacher about guys like Horace Parlan, and Billy Higgins, and all these other guys I was like "...who?"

I knew I loved jazz, and really wanted to "get it" and play it - and Kendrick was the guy who really kicked my ass to set about accomplishing that. I immediately started buying a ton of records, practicing 12 hours a day and not just my snare studies, and feeling like I could hang with anyone. I saw him a few years later in NYC at an IAJE convention and he remembered me and we talked a bit, I think he said he was at the New School then. Now he's starting to blow up - AND he's a pretty accomplished composer too (they don't just teach drums when you go to Berklee/New School as a drummer!)

So, I guess I'll say it here: Thanks Kendrick.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Damn, I lived in Boston around that time. I worked at that Tower Records on Newbury St. I used to go eat lunch at Berklee just to hang around and see what was up. I wanted to go there, but couldn't afford it at the time. I was going to UMASS.

Great story Erik! I knew he was a young guy when I saw him.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Erik Lund

We went to that Tower all the time, buying discs we were just told about. I probably spent at least $500 at Tower that week. I remember all the jazz guys talking about Clarence Penn so I got "Penn's Landing" - which still sounds great.

If you worked the jazz section at all, I probably ran into you. I love that pizza place down the street by Berklee. The one with Soul Calibur in there. Also spent a lot of time at Jack's Drum shop - that's where I got my kit the next year (Yamaha Maple Custom's - 18x14, 10.5x7 14x14, with a Yamaha Signature Elvin Jones snare 14x7 - all with wood hoops on them)

I used to go down there from Vermont, and later Portland, ME all the time for their clinics that were open to the public. I met the *great* Skip Hadden at one of those clinics. I got to play with his quartet, and he agreed to take me as a student. He thought I was enrolled at the school, then I told him I was still in high school. Those open clinics they have (do they still have them?) are great.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah I worked in the Jazz department and occasionally over in the World section.

Last edited by Garvin; 08-30-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 AM

Great story Erik. I always love hearing about the developmental stages of really great players at a young age.

Have any of you guys heard the new Terrence Blanchard disc? It's not really a jazz record. It's Blanchard's regular group with a string orchestra. Pretty great stuff. It's called 'A Tale of God's Will.' I guess Blanchard grew up in New Orleans so the music can be pretty heartwrenching sometimes. The whole record plays a suite and sets a pretty strong narative. It's a really great record and Kendrick Scott's playing is outstanding. His ability to support such broad compositions is incredible.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Erik Lund

Haven't heard that disc. Curious - did Kendrick write any of the tunes? He's been contributing stuff to Terrance's band lately.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gayge View Post
Great story Erik. I always love hearing about the developmental stages of really great players at a young age.

Have any of you guys heard the new Terrence Blanchard disc? It's not really a jazz record. It's Blanchard's regular group with a string orchestra. Pretty great stuff. It's called 'A Tale of God's Will.' I guess Blanchard grew up in New Orleans so the music can be pretty heartwrenching sometimes. The whole record plays a suite and sets a pretty strong narative. It's a really great record and Kendrick Scott's playing is outstanding. His ability to support such broad compositions is incredible.
I have it too. A beautiful album through and through. Great emotional playing from EVERYONE in the band, and as always Kendrick absolutely kills. Hes such a musical player.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 AM

In response to Erik's post, yes. Kendrick's tune Mantra, which he wrote for and performed on his CD (Kendrick Scott Oracle), was re-arranged to accommodate fourty-piece orchestra, and now has an extensive intro. Every song on that album is pure gold, and I strongly suggest you pick up a copy.

As someone may have already said, the songs form a suite, which plays out beautifully from beginning to end. It's really powerful, and definitely one purchase I don't regret making.