DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Thomas lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Freddy you're great all day I was thinking- which tune of Lang I did like... And I couldn't.
But you found it first. I like this tune I think it's called ''Jump Seat'' thought it's based on Michael Jackson's ''Jam''

If he would play all the time like that he would be in my agressive-groove-influence top 20

Thought I don't like when he overdo techniqual things
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLarkin20 View Post
No feel or musicality? His playing in his latest DVD is mindblowing. He turned BLAST BEATS into something musical for crying out loud.
I am a fan of Thomas and have met him several times but to say that he turned blast beats into something musical is totally off base. NOBODY plays blast beats with double strokes on the feet on Roland trigger pads. A real blast beat done by the likes of Flo Mournier is many times harder to do than what Thomas did on his video.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 AM

Maybe I should of ended the musicality statement with an "in my opinion." Flo has his way of doing blasts, Thomas has his. Neither one is right or wrong because there is no defintion that is chisled in stone anywhere that says THIS IS THE WAY YOU HAVE TO PERFORM A BLASTBEAT OR ITS WRONG, as in what type of kit its done on (which he does his blasts on both the Roland and his Sonor) or the sticking patterns you use or whatever else. I still believe the way he encorporates blasts into his playing is more musical and stimulating to the ears then every other drummer doing your standard 16th note singles on snare/bass/ride for 2 minutes straight.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 PM

There seems to be some kind of dislike of technical players on this forum. Thomas does solo a lot in his clinics but lets not forget that he is one of the most in demand sessions/touring guys in Europe, so he very obviously does something right.

Someone like me would love to see a Lang clinic; to see his technique and how he applies it with soloing/his own music. I would love to study that and better my own technique. That's why I got so much out of Langs DVD whereas I was bored to death with Blackwell's.

Just because some drummers, like Lang, Weckl and Donati, really study the technical aspects of drumming very thoroughly, and therefore tend to play things more technically applied, does not mean that they cannot groove, especially if they are touring with acts like Sinead o Connor, Bill Liesegang, 911, B*witched, Karen Ramirez, Robbie Williams, or Victoria Beckham like Thomas Lang is.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Pioneer Member

You've got to have pretty good technique if you can't find anything left to get out of Blackwell's DVD. That guy's got blistering chops.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Adam,
Good point, but Jonescrusher has made a case for himself. I find it hard to believe that Blackwell bores you. That guy is pure groove (and chops)!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Adam,
Good point, but Jonescrusher has made a case for himself. I find it hard to believe that Blackwell bores you. That guy is pure groove (and chops)!
A couple of cool ideas on a video, but sitting down behind a drum set for long enough will do that anyways. I'm just saying having him sit down and play drum beats wasn't exactly what I'd look for in an educational DVD. Listing and playing music is already a great way to develop groove and feel, and I manage enough of that to be satisfied. In terms of technique I found he didn't talk much about grip/concepts/his approaches to things, whereas Lang did, and therefore I found Lang's DVD much better as an educational tool.

That isn't to say that his DVD isn't helpful. I just didn't seem to get a lot out of it, but then again we drummers can and should learn from EVERYTHING we see/hear.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Erik Lund

Default This stuff needs to stop:

"As far as his drumming, I will say it again, they guy can do anything and everything"

No he cannot.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: This stuff needs to stop:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
"As far as his drumming, I will say it again, they guy can do anything and everything"

No he cannot.
I would beg to differ Erik; this is someones opinion and means something to them, in my humble opinion Thomas is a wonderfully talented drummer who has worked very hard to get to his standard and that should be respected and, although I may be a little unfashionable, I have enjoyed his dvds and the clinic performances I have seen of Thomas.
I appreciate that you and I have very different influences, tastes and 'heros', but neither of us are wrong to follow what we follow; you find BR boring and uninspiring [now] and have moved on to other inspirations, where I am stuck with 'west side story from the Talk of the Town' as my motivation.
On a personal note, thank you for the tips regarding various sounds and drummers, I have had a listen to some but sadly remain in BRs fanclub, peace jc
Old 09-07-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Adam,
Sure, but not all drummers with a lot of chops and groove are appealing to everyone. Even if you consider a drummer being well versed in groove and musicality in a certain genre it might not be my cup of tea because I'm not into that style.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Pioneer Member

I met TL in wisconsin.. he was super cool..
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM

I would love to meet Thomas Lang! I have heard he is a very down to earth guy though!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A couple of cool ideas on a video, but sitting down behind a drum set for long enough will do that anyways. I'm just saying having him sit down and play drum beats wasn't exactly what I'd look for in an educational DVD. Listing and playing music is already a great way to develop groove and feel, and I manage enough of that to be satisfied. In terms of technique I found he didn't talk much about grip/concepts/his approaches to things, whereas Lang did, and therefore I found Lang's DVD much better as an educational tool.

That isn't to say that his DVD isn't helpful. I just didn't seem to get a lot out of it, but then again we drummers can and should learn from EVERYTHING we see/hear.

Those are valid points, but I believe his reasons for doing his latest DVD were to just focus on the feet and foot coordination. It wasn't a generalized "This DVD will you an all-around better drummer" DVD, it's meant to just improve your feet and the coordination of your feet with your hands. I believe he did an excellent drop in doing so.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 AM

hey, dont know if this sounds lame but i receive alot of inspiration from many drummers.i mean like in the whole thomas lang, not groover debate and stuff.
im busy with both his dvd's and it's realy cool and a challenge, but on the other hand im also doing some steve smith stuff and gavin harrison.
im mostly into jazz playing and i try to lay down a descent groove and make it sound musical.
so its something from both worlds for me.every educational thing helps your drumming, if you do a thomas lang exercise for instance, it helps for something else you might come up with which you can use in a musical way.i dont think im exactly making sense:-0
but i find it to play jazz, to groove, to be able to do the thomas lang, virgil donati stuff, it realy helps you expanding your vision on drumming and what you can create for a song or whatever.
damn, i just typed this so fast.so sorry if it sounds like im talking nonsense.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernervonwaltsleben View Post
hey, dont know if this sounds lame but i receive alot of inspiration from many drummers.i mean like in the whole thomas lang, not groover debate and stuff.
im busy with both his dvd's and it's realy cool and a challenge, but on the other hand im also doing some steve smith stuff and gavin harrison.
im mostly into jazz playing and i try to lay down a descent groove and make it sound musical.
so its something from both worlds for me.every educational thing helps your drumming, if you do a thomas lang exercise for instance, it helps for something else you might come up with which you can use in a musical way.i dont think im exactly making sense:-0
but i find it to play jazz, to groove, to be able to do the thomas lang, virgil donati stuff, it realy helps you expanding your vision on drumming and what you can create for a song or whatever.

I think i get the gist, but I must say I can't see how guys like Lang and Donati ar going to help expand your jazz playing... You're certainly getting stuck in at the deep end with these guys. You could also try getting some material of the established groovers, Gadd, Hakim, Steve Jordan, to balance out the chops guys.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernervonwaltsleben View Post
im mostly into jazz playing and i try to lay down a descent groove and make it sound musical. so its something from both worlds for me.every educational thing helps your drumming, if you do a thomas lang exercise for instance, it helps for something else you might come up with which you can use in a musical way.i dont think im exactly making sense:-0
Although I don't really see how absorbing the musical vision of Lang or Donati helps your jazz playing, I do understand your cross training aspect. This is what I've been saying about Drumometer runs for the past 2 years. I don't get too excited watching a speed drumming run anymore than I do about incorporating aspects of Lang's musical direction into my playing, because /just IMO/ he leaves me cold. Still, I can certainly locate some aspect of his technical side, isolate it and say "OK, I can use that for what I want to do with my own music."

In my case for instance, working on that single stroke stuff sharpened up other things, which the detractors never seemed to understand. Instead they wanted to harp on the nonmusical aspects of what was really only a glorified practice exercise. And to me that was always a ridiculous thing to do. Now that I no longer participate so much in the actual competitions I find there are things I am now capable of musically that used to be beyond my grasp, and I think it's because I now have more colors to draw my picture.

So yeah, I can see how observing Lang from time to time can help someone reach a technical understanding that to them can lead to something more musical, without having to share that same opinion about Lang himself.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Gotta say I was pretty impressed with Lang's performance with Louis Conte on the MD 2006 Festival DVD....

To me that was the best I've heard from the human drum machne :D
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 AM

I really love Thomas┤ playing. Never seen him live yet but bought his dvd┤s, and when I watch those, or some clips on the net, sometimes it seems to me that he┤s playing a lot the same all the time.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Great Interview- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxcSlbOo6Ls
Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Thomas Lang

I do agree with Honketonk, but i have to say that the stuff he does play is very skillful.
One of the most amazing thing i have seen him, would have to be when he did that fast 16th notes with his feet and then had a slow hand 16ths, then start to speed up this hands and slow down his feet. just like a see saw.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Tom cops a lot of flack for not being musical, or for not having a groove, but let's not forget that before he became known as clinician and multi-interdependent cyborg he was a very successful session musician and has played with all sorts of big names from Robbie Willaims, to John Wetton, playing music from big band to prog rock and straight forward pop.

Would that be the case if he wasn't a great musician? These guys pick their drummers not because they can play 4 different time signatures at once while spinning sticks.They're picked for their musicality and the qulaity and consistency of their sound.

Hats off to Tom- I think he's a legend.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Hi,

do you know where to get the jump seat playalong? i know that the song is by michael jackson, but's not exactly the same.
+thank you
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Just a thought...

If Thomas Lang had been bought in New York or LA instead of Austria, would he still get as much criticism?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM

I have nothing against Mr. Lang, he's got superhuman independence, superhuman foot-control and superhuman chops.

I've seen some of his stuff on his DVDs and I gotta admit, he can really stick to a click track. He's probably a very good recording drummer.

The only thing I have against him is that, in a recent interview for the new Meinl podcast, he forgot Virgil Donati's name!!!!

He goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Lang
I admire Ringo Starr, and Buddy Rich and...that Australian Guy...you know...that guy from Australia...
And that makes me very angry, lol. >: (
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 AM

Don't really like him, or his music. He puts too much effort into being a technically proficent musician rather than being a good songwriter, and having a good sense of groove/taste. I believe those are more important to drummers rather than chops,speed,and stick tricks.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Insane View Post
Don't really like him, or his music. He puts too much effort into being a technically proficent musician rather than being a good songwriter, and having a good sense of groove/taste. I believe those are more important to drummers rather than chops,speed,and stick tricks.
Very good point, but there is no denying he is a bad dude on the drums. I think if we heard TL play with a band and groove a bit more, we would be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Insane View Post
Im pretty sure if he wanted to he could do some pretty groovy things that have a really nice feel to it.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Im pretty sure if he wanted to he could do some pretty groovy things that have a really nice feel to it.
That maybe true, but I don't think we'll ever see Thomas doing something like that.He's more focused on pushing the limits of technical ability on the drums. And I think that's kind of a shame. I'd actually be more impressed to see Thomas playing a cool simple groove, than him playing a comlicated cluster of notes he calls a "solo".

Last edited by Citizen Insane; 04-09-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Although I don't really see how absorbing the musical vision of Lang or Donati helps your jazz playing.
Thomas Lang has a degree in jazz. And by the way, this one definitely has feel, and he shows his less-chops side, but more groovy side that works with the music. http://drummerworld.com/Videos/thomaslangrelax.html

I don't understand why everyone's bashing Thomas Lang because he's technical. Have you actually listened to any of his records that AREN'T his solos or instructional videos? It is impossible to not have feel after the amount of time he's been playing (maybe you mistake the industrial sound of his set, whether it be his acoustic or his electronic, for a lack of feel).

Might as well tell Neil Peart that he sucks too. He's technical.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Thomas Lang has a degree in jazz. And by the way, this one definitely has feel, and he shows his less-chops side, but more groovy side that works with the music. http://drummerworld.com/Videos/thomaslangrelax.html

I don't understand why everyone's bashing Thomas Lang because he's technical. Have you actually listened to any of his records that AREN'T his solos or instructional videos? It is impossible to not have feel after the amount of time he's been playing (maybe you mistake the industrial sound of his set, whether it be his acoustic or his electronic, for a lack of feel).

Might as well tell Neil Peart that he sucks too. He's technical.
Well first off, by isolating your accusation sentence away from the rest of my post you changed its context and meaning completely, so as to use me as an example to make your shallow point. There were actually far better people to pull this stunt with, including the many who actually don't like Lang's technical side. I encourage anyone interested in this topic to go back to page 1 and read what I actually said.

I further believe your opinions would be taken with more than a grain of salt if you had your facts together. Lang does not have a degree in jazz. He attended the Vienna Conservatory, which is a very impressive thing BTW, but he did not graduate. So he has no degree. He did take some jazz coursework, and even subbed in the school big band, but this new tale is the same thing as the Travis Barker drum corps career that was really a sophmore year in the high school marching band. Still, the fact that he was the youngest student at the Vienna Conservatory in his class is impressive. I mean I don't think anybody's denying the technical skills or his obvious training. That's all legendary right?

Now in the bigger picture, these fact holds little relevance except for the fact that you passed along this completely non factual urban legend alongside an out of context quote to make a point out of me. You also assume a great deal about the listening habits of your supposed detractors and/or why they do or don't like this guy.

Interestingly enough, although you went to the trouble to reshape my quote to suit your argument, you still didn't disprove it. How does the very accomplished playing in that video demonstrate jazz?

Thomas Lang is a great practitioner of percussion and no one one is going to catch me saying anything else. The fact that his style leaves me wanting something else doesn't mean it's not the best for what it is, and there are plenty of guys out there who do like it in the more spiritual way.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM
Senior Consultant

Matt is totally right. I've never heard a single note of jazz from Thomas. A double bass shuffle is not exactly a jazzers idea of swing. And Thomas does NOT have a jazz degree.
Out of all the "uber-technicians" out there, probably the only one who can claim to have played legit jazz is Mangini. He won all Massachusetts jazz drummer-first chair as a kid.

Yes, Thomas has feel in that he can lock into a click/sequence and choose to play ahead or behind it. His subdivisions are accurate and his dynamic levels are consistent and defined. Every pro drummer out there today has to have some of these traits or else they wouldn't be working. But to focus on Thomas' groove as a strong point is misguided. His feel pales in comparison to a Gadd or Purdie. Just as their double bass chops are nowhere near his.

Last edited by Jeff Almeyda; 04-10-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:26 AM

Alright, maybe I have been a bit too overzealous with Thomas. But the video I posted is definitely something to be learned from in the realm of jazz (maybe not straight-ahead jazz such as blues or big band, but probably more of a contemporary jazz or fusion style). Thomas Lang has immense groove, but it is hidden behind the electronic drums most of the time.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Alright, maybe I have been a bit too overzealous with Thomas. But the video I posted is definitely something to be learned from in the realm of jazz (maybe not straight-ahead jazz such as blues or big band, but probably more of a contemporary jazz or fusion style). Thomas Lang has immense groove, but it is hidden behind the electronic drums most of the time.
I highly doubt Thomas has any really impressive groove. I mean, if he had awesome groove, wouldn't he want to show off that aswell as his chops and technical ability?
And who said you can't groove on electronic drums?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Is that what he does? I thought he was supposed to be some kind of god or something.
The drumming on this clip is very mediocre. It's too "notey." It's devoid of groove. I don't get the impression that he's actually listening to anything. He's just doing his shtick. And what does a degree in jazz mean?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Is that what he does? I thought he was supposed to be some kind of god or something.
The drumming on this clip is very mediocre. It's too "notey." It's devoid of groove. I don't get the impression that he's actually listening to anything. He's just doing his shtick. And what does a degree in jazz mean?
I agree that clip did nothing for me. Cheesy background music with rather uninspired playing that seems to create an overall dull unsatisfying musical offering at least for me and certainly more closely related musically to some kind of contemporary watered down smooth jazz genre thing than anything else. Not my cup of tea but each to his own for what floats your boat.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Yup, A little too Windham Hill for my taste. Not knowing too much about Lang's music( and only having seen him on drum DVDs, youtube etc. ), his singular quest seems to be to explore the infinite mathematical possibilities of rhythm & drumset playing. Somewhere along the line, he seems to have lost the 'song'.

I think a lot of drummers feel this lack of 'something' in spite of his incredible skills.

Question -If any of you were his teacher, what would you suggest he do ?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Yup, A little too Windham Hill for my taste. Not knowing too much about Lang's music( and only having seen him on drum DVDs, youtube etc. ), his singular quest seems to be the explore the infinite mathematical possibilities of rhythm & drumset playing. Somewhere along the line, he seems to have lost the 'song'.

I think a lot of drummers feel this lack of 'something' in spite of his incredible skills.

Question -If any of you were his teacher, what would you suggest he do ?
I don't real know about that question aydee since i'm not aware of all he's involved with but based on that clip i'd say get involved and for sure being involved in presenting some much hipper music for starts than what I just heard. The drums is always only one part of the bigger picture which is the music as a whole for me. It has to be a complete package to keep me interested.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
I agree that clip did nothing for me. Cheesy background music with rather uninspired playing that seems to create an overall dull unsatisfying musical offering at least for me and certainly more closely related musically to some kind of contemporary watered down smooth jazz genre thing than anything else. Not my cup of tea but each to his own for what floats your boat.
Yeah, thats what I mean by saying he should focus more on songwriting and groove, or else he is going to be playing sterile grooves to cheesy background music for the rest of his drumming career. The only thing that he really has going for him is his clinics and his instructional dvds. Maybe I should look more into the artists Thomas plays with, but for right now, Im not impressed. He seems like a geniunely cool guy,but overall, I don't think he's a very good musician.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 PM

this guy has got it made. he has spead, creativity, and other things that a good drummer should have. At this day and age, i would say that he is one of the best there is and prolly ever will be. (please don't attack me, these are just my personal opinions)
Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 PM

¤ have no doubt in my mind that Thomas can groove like a mad man. Anybody who questions whether he's capable of it is just kidding theirselves...his dvds are not titled "Thomas Langs guide to immense grooving". His dvds teach interindependence and creative control of double bass which is exactly what they set out to do.