DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Freddie Gruber - GURU

exactly...like football...the best coaches are not always going to be ex-top players but rather very good and experienced players who are adept at watching a game or player and seeing the monor flaws that can be worked on and the strengths that can be worked with.
when i consider my collection of drumming DVDs almost all of them are by pro, talented, amazing drummers but asides from being interesting and inspirational the amount of actual learning i can glean from any of the DVDs is small...why? because for the most part these guys are not teachers. like football, you can watch an international match and be wowed by the skills of the players but then go out in the yard and you can barely do anything that you saw...but if you were talked through the method of say making a ball curve after you kick it, step by step with smaller exercises to cover aspects within the skill...and best of all taught by a coach who is watching you and guiding you back on track then you will soon be able to put a ball in the goal mouth from the corner. freddy is like one of those coaches.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 AM

if anyone who actually studied with Freddie would like to help me out, I'd like to interview one of his students.

private message me if your down.

thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 07:55 PM

I've met Mr. Gruber at the Dw booth winter Namm 99 I think it was. This guy is a damn trip and reminds me of a hyper active teenager. Fiesty bastard ! I dont think he cares what anyone thinks about him in the least. It was a non smoking facility and he was chain smoking right in the DW booth ! I saw him tap around a bit but he didnt play much. He was being very playfulll behind the kit kinda of "dancing in the air" or mimicking playing without hiting the heads".The guy seemed a million miles away. I asked him about teaching Neil Peart and he said. "Poor guy. Such a great fella. He really didnt deserve what happened to him." or something like that and that was it. He lit a cig and took off mumbling to himself. Kinda weird guy with his manerisms, huge shades and funny walk but I think his heart is in the right place. Jim Chapin was there too. Didnt talk to him though. Just watched as he explained the moeller stuff to a group of people and proceded to do a single stroke roll at about a zillion bpm hardly moving his arms. I was told that I had just missed Mith Mitchell !!! Damnit !
Old 08-26-2006, 02:42 AM

its unbelievable how some people are slandering an already proven guy by calling him con, vague, tease etc........ guys do you really think Weckl, Smith, Peart are fools to go by simply washy abstract talks ..??? .......
He featured in Weckl's video and unlike what one poster said he completely made sense. Look at the way he analysed the technique v/s what Weckl did with drums a few mins ago ....... i found Gruber to be much more convincing and rational. Gruber tells the reasons while Weckl told an opinion. Even if both are truths there is a difference.

when you cannot understand or don't know the person atleast give him the benifit of doubt based on other's opinion.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Freddy Gruber

Freddy Gruber did not teach Buddy Rich. Just trying to clear a rumor to the contrary.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Freddy Gruber

Ermm..thank you for telling us this?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Founder Drummerworld

this is no news and so inappropriate that also the opposite is wrong....lol

see some threads...

B.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM
44Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebone View Post
Freddy Gruber did not teach Buddy Rich. Just trying to clear a rumor to the contrary.
Yes he did. Instruction = Teaching.

Rumour? No. It is a FACT. I love how everyone tries to make buddy superhuman.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 AM

Freddy taught Murray Spivak as well didn't he, Probably Louie Bellson too.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Administrator

is that sarcasm? anyhow it may be true. i' decided to merge threads so you can have a read.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 PM
44Ronin

I just want to say that Freddie is a complete legend. Anyone who tries to put him down misses the point completely.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 PM

I thought seeing people run down Neil Peart in other threads was the height of ignorance but now Gruber too?! Wow.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:57 PM

Well, I saw Weckl's video, and it was hard to understand what Mr. Gruber told BUT it was probably because of my english as second language.

My humble opinion is that Weckl is using now more relaxed and natural aproach to many things like doubles or fulcrum point for left hand. I'm not familiar with Pert case. Buddy was a genius but there is quiet many legends about him out there. He told that he never practiced but I've read (can't make quotation) he had even special pads in his touring bus! Buddy said that Gruber helped him so at least that's true.
If I would have a chance I would take one lesson with Mr. Gruber. I'm sure there is something about him if Buddy was so positive about him as well as Weckl and Pert.

I'm sure Grubers existence and friendship with Buddy doesn't have an impact on Morellos or Chapins popularity that much.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Today I noticed that Jojo credits Gruber in his new DVD...