DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Which Aquarian heads for my snare?

I am going to replace my well used Ambassador batter/Emporer Snare Side heads on my Pearl Session 14"x5.5" 6ply maple snare with some new Aquarian heads (I am gradually changing all my heads to Aquarian) but which ones should I choose?

I am thinking of maybe trying a coated Studio X batter with Classic Clear Snare Side but there is also the Texture Coated Batter. I am also undecided whether to go for a batter head with a power dot underneath?

I am looking for a nice rock sound with a decent amount of crack to it, I tune my snare heads quite high but have always had too much ringy overtones with the ambassadors so have had to use moongel to dampen them down, thats why I think the Studio-X could be the best choice for me?

Can any fellow Aquarian users give me some advice/guidance on which heads to choose?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Which Aquarian heads for my snare?

I've had Texture Coateds on my old Acrolite for a long time, and I love it. Just put one on my newer Pro M snare as well. There is a fair amount of ring, but I like that - it's part of the backbeat when I'm hitting rimshots. I also use Moongel as the situation or room requires. The other night I was playing an outdoog gig, and it was pretty humid - almost all the resonance was taken out of the drums. That's when I was glad I had an open head - all I had to do was remove the Moongels and I could get a less dead sound from the snare.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:24 PM

I have a texture coated on my starclassic performer snare and love it. Im getting ready to get another for my DW snare but with the power dot underneath. I would reccommend the texture coated for sure. Great head.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the responses,

Anyone have experience using the coated Studio-X, can it be tuned high for a nice crack or is it a bit too muffled?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Pioneer Member

The Focus X head is similar to a Genera Dry. It cuts down the overtones and ring quite a bit. The High Energy is another one to consider. It is a bit more open sounding than the Focus X. I like the studio X heads on toms, but they're not very durable.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

another vote for the hi-energy snare head, if you play rock youll love it , THIS HEAD IS LOUD..and youl never break it ... as for toms i have heard good stuff about super 2's and i like the clear focus -x on toms although they can be hard to find ... hope this helps..
Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

What's great with Aquarian is there's stuff for any taste.

Since you said you were using ambs with moongel, I think straight Aquarian texture coated with powerdot will answer your needs. I also think studio-x can be an option, it's little bit more muffled than texture coated but you can get a good crack out of your beast. I use Focus-x on a cheap snare and it make it sound extremely good but really dry and focused.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I think I will try out a texture coated with power dot and see how it goes.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Rickk

Another vote for Aquarian texture coated on the snare, great head. I also put studio X coated on my set recently and love them, I switched from Evans to Aquarian because I heard so many good things about them and in my opinion they are fantastic sounding heads.

Rick