DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

I need to see the match. I heard the result on the radio and just WISH I could've watched it. Sounds like an absolute stormer of a match.

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of dirty play; most referees will let some of it go, I know I let a little bit go here and there when I refereed kids' matches. Just to enhance the flow of the game. However, dirty play must NOT be allowed in the scrum, just no. It's dangerous.

I want Wendel Sailor to stay in Union. I always enjoy watching his performances.

I'm up for a discussion of scrummage tactics. Let's do it! Please?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I need to see the match. I heard the result on the radio and just WISH I could've watched it. Sounds like an absolute stormer of a match.

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of dirty play; most referees will let some of it go, I know I let a little bit go here and there .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux8qs...elated&search=

enjoy, this guy always puts the games up on you tube. i love him.....yup i little bit of dirty play is ok, just not too dirty and dont get caught.....
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I just watched the first four minutes of that match, it's too late to watch the rest and I just wanted a taster. Those four minutes, would be the first thing I play to somebody if I were introducing them to Rugby. That scrum is scarily huge. Really awesome those few minutes!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of dirty play; most referees will let some of it go, I know I let a little bit go here and there when I refereed kids' matches. Just to enhance the flow of the game. However, dirty play must NOT be allowed in the scrum, just no. It's dangerous.

I want Wendel Sailor to stay in Union. I always enjoy watching his performances.

I'm up for a discussion of scrummage tactics. Let's do it! Please?
I think Wendel would be playing for Australia A if he stays with union. Tuquiri, Mitchell, Ione, and Gerrard are all better players than Sailor in my book.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

How terribly disappointing was that.

Well done to the Kiwis - no doubt they're the best team on the planet right now. And they play 100% for the full 80+ minutes. Our guys seemed to run out of steam in the closing minutes and their concentration lapsed a few times.

Losing close matches to them is heartbreaking. But there is some honour in taking them to the wire. Next time...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Canada beat NZ in the Under 20 match eh. How funny is that!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I just watched the first four minutes of that match, it's too late to watch the rest and I just wanted a taster. Those four minutes, would be the first thing I play to somebody if I were introducing them to Rugby. That scrum is scarily huge. Really awesome those few minutes!
there is a 9 minute highlights package on youtube which is pretty good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
How terribly disappointing was that.

Well done to the Kiwis - no doubt they're the best team on the planet right now. And they play 100% for the full 80+ minutes. Our guys seemed to run out of steam in the closing minutes and their concentration lapsed a few times.

Losing close matches to them is heartbreaking. But there is some honour in taking them to the wire. Next time...
it was anybodies game SA where very, very tough. great game of rugby.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

And what about South Africa? Not naming their top 9 players to tour. There is talk of RSA being removed from the Tri-Nations; NZ and Aus have voiced their opinions about it being disrespectable and destroying the integrity of the world game. Will be interesting to see the outcome of it all. Hopefully they get smashed by the Kiwis and us... (hopefully!)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
And what about South Africa? Not naming their top 9 players to tour. There is talk of RSA being removed from the Tri-Nations; NZ and Aus have voiced their opinions about it being disrespectable and destroying the integrity of the world game. Will be interesting to see the outcome of it all. Hopefully they get smashed by the Kiwis and us... (hopefully!)
I agree it's a little disappointing. But it's World Cup year and our top Bok players are completely spent. You must remember that we have a very tough domestic competition in the Currie Cup (which Aus doesn't have) followed by the Super14 (in which our top two Bok-feeder teams, Bulls & Sharks, contested the semis and finals) followed immediately by three internationals in consecutive weeks followed by 4 Tri-Nations games followed by the WC. No break since the beginning of the year. No other country has it this bad in the build-up to the WC. There is no way we would ever be able to take close to a full-strength squad to France without some kind of rest and reconditioning break.

And this touring team only has 2 new caps (tighthead prop Jannie du Plessis and flyhalf Peter Grant). The rest are all existing Springboks. So I wouldn't write them off too quickly.

Also, no one threatened IRB action when England sent a third team to SA a few weeks ago, for exactly the same (World Cup) reasons. Or when France sent their second stringers to NZ. Even the Welsh team that toured Australia now weren't full-strength. Ditto for the Irish in Argentina. And Graham Henry's "squad rotation" policy for the All Blacks the past 2 seasons is well known (and widely praised). Seems the rules are a little different when you're the All Blacks.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree it's a little disappointing. But it's World Cup year and our top Bok players are completely spent. You must remember that we have a very tough domestic competition in the Currie Cup (which Aus doesn't have) followed by the Super14 (in which our top two Bok-feeder teams, Bulls & Sharks, contested the semis and finals) followed immediately by three internationals in consecutive weeks followed by 4 Tri-Nations games followed by the WC. No break since the beginning of the year. No other country has it this bad in the build-up to the WC. There is no way we would ever be able to take close to a full-strength squad to France without some kind of rest and reconditioning break.

And this touring team only has 2 new caps (tighthead prop Jannie du Plessis and flyhalf Peter Grant). The rest are all existing Springboks. So I wouldn't write them off too quickly.

Also, no one threatened IRB action when England sent a third team to SA a few weeks ago, for exactly the same (World Cup) reasons. Or when France sent their second stringers to NZ. Even the Welsh team that toured Australia now weren't full-strength. Ditto for the Irish in Argentina. And Graham Henry's "squad rotation" policy for the All Blacks the past 2 seasons is well known (and widely praised). Seems the rules are a little different when you're the All Blacks.
I think it's a little different with the all-blacks, as they have probably 45+ world class players that could play in their team. I was speaking about this earlier at home to my dad (another rugby fanatic) about the difference in reaction between the South African under strength team in comparison with the Irish and Welsh 2nds and the French 3rds that played recent games. The big reason I think there has been the uproar is that the Tri-Nations have always been regarded as probably the most elite of competitions with the exception of the world cup, and now it's importance has been questioned by the decision to play a sub-par South African team (by their standards). If the Tri-Nations are something that can be disregarded by a team to increase their chances of playing well for another competition, this obviously raises some eyebrows about the integrity of the comp. At the same time, I realise the schedule for the Bok's players has left a bit to be desired and this is something that management must address if they are serious about their world cup chances. I'm not particularly shocked or disgusted by this decision; especially as it'll increase our chances of having a win against the Boks!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Ha ha - don't count them chickens just yet.

I also realise the AB's have the depth to be able to rotate and rest and still get the results. But if the Aus and Kiwi rugby unions are arguing principles here -and the principle is to always field your strongest match22 (against first tier countries) - then it should apply to everyone. Just my take on it.

Plus, SA currently has the best depth in their squad for as far as I can remember. Some of these guys on tour are playing for their World Cup tickets and I think you might just be surprised by some of the lesser known names. The guy replacing John Smit in the squad is called Bismark du Plessis. He'll probably feature off the bench and his brother, Jannie, might get a start at tighthead prop. Both of them have a bright future in SA rugby. Also, openside flanker Wikus van Heerden has a real chance of going to France as Schalk Burger's back-up, if he puts in some big performances in the next two games. Much to prove, so neither game will be a walk-over by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

What a smoking performance by the Aussies on Saturday!

This Tri-Nations is shaping up to be the closest and most tense comppetition in a long time. And thanks to Oz for keeping us very much in the game.

Now we must just find a way to contain Giteau, Mortlock and Tiquiri on Saturday and Bob's your uncle.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World Cup (and the lead up tests) Thread

Can't let this thread die.... we still have a good couple of months worth of posts I reckon.

Anyways, not too much is happening in the way of top-class rugby at the moment.
Tuquiri and Dunning were in a bit of trouble after partying at 5:30am with some NRL players and a random guy off the street who assaulted a taxi driver that night.

I'm not sure if anyone here is following the new Mazda Australian Rugby Championships, but I think it's bloody brilliant. They've implemented some rule changes to make the game flow a little better. My god, is it fast now, and they are hitting bloody hard. The forwards are being worked like never before. If good for nothing else, it'll lift the overall fitness of our non-wallabie players (there are a few Wallabies playing at the moment; Wycliff Palu, Chris Latham, Alistair Campbell, Matt Cockbain, Mark Chism,....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby.com.au
Experimental Law Variations and Commentary
Touch Judges
1. TJ’s can indicate offside at the tackle by raising their flag horizontally in the direction of the offending team. This flag raising will be mirrored by the opposite TJ so as to provide visual assistance to the referee. The referee however is not obliged to act on the offence.

Posts and flags around the field
2. Corner post, and post at corner of touch in goal and dead ball line are moved back 2 metres. This ensures consistency of touch along the entire length of the touch line and touch in goal line.

Inside the 22 metre line
3. When a defending player receives the ball outside the 22 metre line and passes, puts or takes the ball back inside the 22, the following can occur:
a. If the ball is then kicked directly into touch, the lineout is in line with where the ball was kicked.
b. If a tackle, ruck or maul is subsequently formed or an opponent plays the ball and the ball is then kicked directly into touch, the lineout is where the ball crossed the touch line.
Lineout
4. On a quick throw in, the ball can be thrown straight or backwards towards the defenders goal line, but not forward towards the opposition goal line.
5. A player peeling off at the front of the lineout can do so as soon as the ball leaves the throwers hands.
6. The receiver in a lineout must stand 2 metres from the lineout.
7. The non throwing hooker does not have to stand between the 5 metre line and the touch line. They must conform to law wherever they stand.
8. There is no maximum number of players in the lineout but there is a minimum of 2.
9. Neither team determines numbers in the lineout.
10. Pre-gripping is allowed.
11. If a lineout throw is not straight, the option is a lineout or FK to non throwing team. (Added 1 Oct).

Breakdown (tackle/post tackle)
12. Players entering the breakdown area must do so through the gate. RIGIDLY APPLIED
13. Immediately the tackle occurs there are offside lines.
14. The offside lines run parallel to the goal lines through the hindmost part of the hindmost player at the tackle.
15. A tackled player must immediately play the ball and may not be prevented from playing the ball by any player who is off their feet. (Added 1 Oct).
16. Any other player playing the ball at the breakdown must be on their feet. (Added 1 Oct)
17. If the ball is unplayable at the breakdown, the side that did not take the ball into contact will receive a FK.
18. If the ball is received directly from a kick and a tackle occurs immediately, and the ball becomes unplayable, the FK is given to the team who received the kick.
19. There are only 3 penalty offences (not including dangerous play) at the breakdown:
a. Offside for not coming through the gate.
b. Offside where defenders are in front of the last man on their side of the breakdown. i.e. the offside line.
c. Players on the ground preventing playing of the ball.
20. Repeated infringements can be dealt with as per current law.
21. A scrum option is available for all FKs.
22. Dangerous play will not be tolerated. Eg. Diving over the breakdown.
23. The half back should not be touched unless he has his hands on the ball.

Maul
24. Defending players can pull down the maul.
25. Players joining the maul must do so through the gate. RIGIDLY APPLIED.
26. If a maul becomes unplayable, the team not in possession at the start of the maul receives a FK.
27. The ‘truck and trailer’ is no longer an offence.

Scrum
28. The offside line for players who are not in the scrum and who are not the teams scrum half, is 5 metres behind the hindmost foot of the scrum.

Sanctions
26. For all offences other than offside, not entering through the gate, and Law 10-Foul Play, the sanction is a FK.
*FK = Free Kick.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I really don't like the idea of defending players being allowed to collapse the maul. I really, really do not think that is a good idea in the slightest. Having been in a few collapsed mauls myself (and having collapsed a few on purpose, including a charge down on one occasion where I went a little mental) I just think it's a recipe for some serious neck injuries.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I really don't like the idea of defending players being allowed to collapse the maul. I really, really do not think that is a good idea in the slightest. Having been in a few collapsed mauls myself (and having collapsed a few on purpose, including a charge down on one occasion where I went a little mental) I just think it's a recipe for some serious neck injuries.
I thought that too, but it seems alright so far. A heap of notable players have given it the thumbs up, including long-time Wallabies like Morgan Turinui. There just seems to be so much more rugby played in the 80 mins. One of the games this weekend had 250 tackles and over 100 rucks and mauls. Also, the bench is a little larger with an extra two players which I think is due to the physical fatigue the players (especially the forwards) are subjected to. It's great to watch; fast, aggressive, flowing, balls-out rugby. Just the way it should be.

Also, Melbourne city have their first professional rugby side now, the Rebels, and we're f'n ripping sh!t up! I love it, I'm gona buy a team jersey next week.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

What a good idea to revive this thread. Time is running out for some teams to get it together before the WC kicks off. MFB - 2 losses to France can't sit too well with you?

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the most exciting and cosely-contested World Cups to date. And while I admit that NZ must still be firm favourites, there are at least 3 - perhaps 4 - other teams in with a real shout. The Ozzies seemed to have got things together in time and could be a real threat. The French are looking dangerous and must be a favourite at home. And my boys, the Springboks, are very pumped-up and well-drilled. England and Ireland might have fallen off the pace a bit in these warm-up games, but a couple of weeks from now will be a different matter.

The pool game between SA and England is going to be massively important because the loser will most likely face Australia in the semis and both teams would want to avoid that at all cost.

As far as the new laws are concerned - I'm all for collapsing the maul. If there are two current rules that just seem ridiculous to me it's the non-collapsing of mauls (how are you supposed to legally defend this?) and the 10m rule if a player decides to take a quick tap and go on a free kick or penalty. In my opinion, if you want to take it quickly, you sacrifice the luxury of having the opponent fall back 10m. Either that, or they should outlaw the quick penalty. But watching players run through opponents who have their hands thrust in the air in innocence until they think 10m has lapsed and then launch into a tackle, only to be re-penalised by the ref for not falling back 10m is daft, to say the least.

Just my 2c.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What a good idea to revive this thread. Time is running out for some teams to get it together before the WC kicks off. MFB - 2 losses to France can't sit too well with you?

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the most exciting and cosely-contested World Cups to date. And while I admit that NZ must still be firm favourites, there are at least 3 - perhaps 4 - other teams in with a real shout. The Ozzies seemed to have got things together in time and could be a real threat. The French are looking dangerous and must be a favourite at home. And my boys, the Springboks, are very pumped-up and well-drilled. England and Ireland might have fallen off the pace a bit in these warm-up games, but a couple of weeks from now will be a different matter.

The pool game between SA and England is going to be massively important because the loser will most likely face Australia in the semis and both teams would want to avoid that at all cost.

As far as the new laws are concerned - I'm all for collapsing the maul. If there are two current rules that just seem ridiculous to me it's the non-collapsing of mauls (how are you supposed to legally defend this?) and the 10m rule if a player decides to take a quick tap and go on a free kick or penalty. In my opinion, if you want to take it quickly, you sacrifice the luxury of having the opponent fall back 10m. Either that, or they should outlaw the quick penalty. But watching players run through opponents who have their hands thrust in the air in innocence until they think 10m has lapsed and then launch into a tackle, only to be re-penalised by the ref for not falling back 10m is daft, to say the least.

Just my 2c.

An even nastier sounding fact about the English is that of their last 16 home games, they've lost 15. Ouch. Also that el capitan Phil Vickery was carried off the field in the last game vs France.

It's funny you mention that RSA is worried about it's performance in the English game as it may result in playing the Aussies. Our papers are saying the same thing about our game against Wales as being the decider for if we play the South Africans or the English in the first elimination round. Haha, gotta love that; not so different after all!

Again, I really like the way the new game is being played. Also that they broadcast a two games a weekend on free-to-air TV, as opposed to the FOXTEL exclusivity of Super-14. You can also watch it live on the internet and the highlights later on http://www.abc.net.au/sport/rugby_un...eo_archive.htm

Go the Rebels!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Almost that time. We have a warm-up game against an Irish club side tomorrow, followed by a game against Scotland on the weekend (which should be good - Scotland were looking in great shape against Ireland the other day).

And then it's off to France. Last time we'll see a few of these guys in action - the great Os du Randt and Percy Montgommery will be making their final Bok appearances at the WC.

I also like this pic of Schalk Burger on the charge.

And I had to include one of Eddie Jones in a Bok jacket, just for you Ozzy.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And I had to include one of Eddie Jones in a Bok jacket, just for you Ozzy.
It's funny, I used to really like the guy. He was the coach of the Wallabies and also the patron of the school rugby team I played for. Now I don't care whatsoever. Just a few months back he made a promise to never hold any sort of coaching role again.Obviously a man of his word.

I lost a little respect for him when he was told me at a training session of ours he coached that the technique I was using never worked; a technique I got straight from our other prop who is a prop in the national squad.

But really, good luck for you guys and I congratulate Eddie on getting himself a new job. Hopefully he can use his immense knowledge to do for the Boks exactly what he did for the Queensland Reds.

haha
Old 08-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

With regards to England losing the last two matches, it's been nearly made up for with that victory against Wales. It was beautifully humiliating for the Welsh (local rivalry) and I accept that it's not a meaningful victory in any way; but I liked watching. As for France, I wasn't expecting an English victory anyhow and I know that we don't stand a good chance of defending the World Cup. Give it another four years I say for our next real attempt. The new England coach seems to know what's what though; I'm giving him a chance.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Here's something interesting (for the Aussies at least).

19 year old aboriginal star Kurtley Beale has been named as flyhalf in the shadow world cup squad for the wallabies. That's gotta be rare, for both his age and that he has never played for the Wallabies before (to the best of my knowledge). I have to say though, he deserves it. The kid is amazing and has secured himself man-of-the-match for the last two West Sydney Rams games in the Australian Rugby Championship, including scoring three tries and setting up another 5 or so. He really has talent, reads the play and has tremendous vision. He's first year out of school, played flyhalf for the warratahs for a fair chunk of the season and kicks major arse.
Look forward to him dominating in years to come.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

I really like the look of this Beale guy. The bit that I saw of him in the Super14 was impressive. And only 19 years old. Mind you, Fancois Steyn is also only 19 and is going to play a big part in our World Cup campaign. Is Beale going along as Larkham's understudy? And how come Cameron Shepard didn't make the Wallaby squad?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I really like the look of this Beale guy. The bit that I saw of him in the Super14 was impressive. And only 19 years old. Mind you, Fancois Steyn is also only 19 and is going to play a big part in our World Cup campaign. Is Beale going along as Larkham's understudy? And how come Cameron Shepard didn't make the Wallaby squad?
If I remember correctly, Cam Shepard has some sort of niggling injury. I think he's in the shadow squad with Beale. Berrick Barnes is reserve flyhalf and Beale is the shadow.

I'm very happy with the Wallabies squad at the moment. Latham, Palu & Lyons are all back from injury. There are young guys like Beale and Berrick Barnes who are in trmendous form, and the old faithful line-up of Gregan, Larkham, Giteau, Mortlock, Latham, Tuquiri is still there and strong.
Sharpe won the John Eales medal for 2007, and Vickerman is playing well too. Chism is back in the squad, and even Cockbain has made it back (I think, he's at least in the shadow squad). The last Wallabies (not A) game he played was the '03 world cup final.
Even with all our old players back or still playing, our squad has an average age of 26 or 27. Not bad considering you've got guys like gregan who's 34/35 and no one under 21 in the main squad.

By the way, if anyone wants to get on a RWC Dream Team league go to:
http://rwc2.sportal.virtualsports.com.au/
Create a team and enter 697402 as the league code. I was going to name it, but forgot so its some "Public League 62432363..." or something. No biggie.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

Latest betting odds from Ladbrokes:

NZ - 4:9
SA - 5:1
FRA - 7:1
AUS - 12:1
IRE - 20:1
ENG - 33:1
ARG - 66:1
WAL - 100:1

Can't remember when last there was such a firm favourite as the All Blacks.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Latest betting odds from Ladbrokes:

NZ - 4:9
SA - 5:1
FRA - 7:1
AUS - 12:1
IRE - 20:1
ENG - 33:1
ARG - 66:1
WAL - 100:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB Sportsbet NSW
Sportsbet No Selection (default) Price
14981 NEW ZEALAND 1.60
14986 SOUTH AFRICA 5.50
14976 FRANCE 7.00
14972 AUSTRALIA 7.50
14978 IRELAND 26.00
14974 ENGLAND 34.00
14971 ARGENTINA 101.00
14990 WALES 101.00
14985 SCOTLAND 301.00
14979 ITALY 401.00
14975 FIJI 1001.00
14984 SAMOA 1001.00
14973 CANADA 2501.00
14980 JAPAN 2501.00
14983 ROMANIA 2501.00
14987 TONGA 2501 .00
14977 GEORGIA 5001.00
14991 NAMIBIA 5001.00
14982 PORTUGAL 5001.00
14989 USA 5001.00
NZ is a much better bet in South Africa, that's for sure.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

the last world cup?

hopefully this time, they wont crash under the pressure.......
Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
the last world cup?

hopefully this time, they wont crash under the pressure.......
The All Blacks are favourites (top 3 at least) from every world cup I can remember. They are also habbitual 'chokers', showing fine form too early and then falling short in one of the finals. Except of course in '87, when they won. I'd call that an outlier... ;)

Anyone getting on (or want to get on) the RWC Dream Team competition?...
Old 09-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
the last world cup?
They were favourites last time round, but nowhere near so overwhelmingly as this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Except of course in '87, when they won.
That's only because we weren't there :)
Old 09-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's only because we weren't there :)
That's debatable (haha)...
I blame it on the French knocking us out in the Semi's so we didn't get the chance to beat the All Blacks.

60 hours until the first match, France vs Argentina.
Pool D is I think the most hottly contested; France, Ireland and Argentina are in it. It's the only pool with 3 teams that could make it out into the finals, all the others have two.
Pool A - England & South Africa
Pool B - Australia & Wales
Pool C - New Zealand & Scotland (chance Italy may beat them, I'm not sure. I'm don't really know their current form)
Pool D - France, Ireland & Argentina. Any two, but I'm leaning towards France & Ireland.

Getting exciting...
Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Didn't Italy recently beat Wales? And they've come close against a few more big names. I wouldn't write them off completely, although Scotland also seem to be much improved from last year this time.

We start with a tough match against Samoa and we'll do well to come away injury free. Because next up is England - one of three huge games we'll have to win if we want the cup. Hope Brian "The Chiropractor" Lima doesn't do too much damage to our midfield in his 4th World Cup.

I also feel that Argentina could perhaps pull off a surprise victory in their group and maybe even pip Ireland to the quarters. Possible, but not very likely.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Samoa are just one of those teams you don't want to face. They might not win, but they will wear you down and tire you out and inflict losses on your players because of their style. The perfect example of a team that dig in and hit hard. I remember in the last World Cup when England played them. I went down to my old Rugby club to watch the match and it was brutality - absolute brutality.

On a side note - a young MFB after a particularly muddy match. Not in my team's strip, but anothers'. We'd made a composite team for a fun match whilst on tour. Ah to be that thin again.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Katman and MFB about Argentina and Samoa. I'm looking forward to seeing Hernandez play for Argentina; he's supposedly one of (if not) the best fullback in the world at the moment.

Keeping with the nostalgia that MFB started, here's one from 2004. That's me in the blue, becoming verticle in a manner I didn't want to be. I land on my head, and that's all I remember
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

There are some priceless pictures that used to be on my Dad's computer consisting of one of our smallest players making a perfect hit on a guy who was much larger, and the other player literally being knocked back off his feet. It was the same match that my photo up there is from and I was standing on the touchline (substituted off I believe) and I felt and heard the crunch of the other player hitting our centre. It was absolutely numbing. That dump tackle looks rather spectacularly painful; I'm assuming you got quite concussed from that one! The worst injury I ever got was a broken collar bone - twice in the space of eight weeks.

I'm getting excited for the World Cup now. I love watching it on TV. I might have to start playing again if I can find the time and a team.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are some priceless pictures that used to be on my Dad's computer consisting of one of our smallest players making a perfect hit on a guy who was much larger, and the other player literally being knocked back off his feet. It was the same match that my photo up there is from and I was standing on the touchline (substituted off I believe) and I felt and heard the crunch of the other player hitting our centre. It was absolutely numbing. That dump tackle looks rather spectacularly painful; I'm assuming you got quite concussed from that one! The worst injury I ever got was a broken collar bone - twice in the space of eight weeks.

I'm getting excited for the World Cup now. I love watching it on TV. I might have to start playing again if I can find the time and a team.
Actually don't remember the next 5 or so minutes after that tackle. They were filming the game and I get straight back up, supporting the play until we score the try off the next phase. What I do remember is trying to run off the field because I'm all over the shop. I tried to run along the 22 to the side, but I was seeing multiple lines because my vision went funny for a while. Then my equillibrium decided it would have a rest for a while and I started throwing up not ling after that. I had severe concussion with every problem associated with it (minus the strokes and long term stuff).

I took a year off rugby this year because I had to basically rebuild all the muscles in my shoulders as the ligaments and tendons across the front and top are stretched and don't hold my shoulder in all that well anymore. But next season I'm playing again; Colts grade for the Melbourne Rugby Club. Looking forward to it more than christmas for an 8 year old.

Hanging out for the Australian demolition of Japan in Lyon on Friday (Sat for us)

Cam
Old 09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'll be trying to catch what I can of the RWC. I work on Wednesday evenings, Friday evenings and all of Saturday, so I'll probably catch most of it live; although Sunday's off as well because I've been asked to produce a band's EP. It's surprising how quick you can regain your shape. I've just finished a two week theatre course which involved a lot of choreography and I can already feel my old build starting to come back, that is, very muscly and broad. We ought to arrange a DWF Rugby Sevens tournament one year, that would be hilarious.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Yes, tic-toc-tic-toc.... it is almost upon us.

I see Wilko is out for the first game, and possibly the second (against SA) as well. Ankle ligament damage in training. That's a bit of a blow. Who will replace him? Olly Barkley?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I see Wilko is out for the first game, and possibly the second (against SA) as well. Ankle ligament damage in training. That's a bit of a blow. Who will replace him? Olly Barkley?
Hit the nail on the head there with Barkley. From what I remember O'Driscal is going to miss Ireland's first match too, as is Guy Shepardson for Australia.
Again, if anyone wants to do an online RWC dreamteam comp with me...
http://rwc2.sportal.virtualsports.com.au/
league no: 697402
It's a little easier than organising a DWF 7s comp.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Although I'm quite keen, I simply don't have enough time for a fantasy league. And if you don't keep up with the tournament and make changes regularly, you fall off the pace very quickly. Have fun, though.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:

Yep, Ollie is indeed replacing him. They showed on the news yesterday all of the injuries that Wilkinson's had since the last World Cup and I don't think there was a single part of his body that didn't have a little square around it to show where there had been one! Either way, Ollie is a very capable player and actually I prefer him in attack to Wilkinson, although Wilkinson in defence is something to be very weary of. The thing about Wilkinson is that he keeps the scoreboard ticking over; it's never static for more than a few minutes when he's on the pitch. He would score any penalty, drop-kick it etc and just keep the board moving, which is what England have lacked. He's a great player, just far too injury-prone.

We can do great without him though. We've got a good side of individuals, we just need to gel...
Old 09-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Pioneer Member

france where awful....what a shock..