DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

Default Ludwigs

...Hola dot comrades.

Every now and again a deal falls in my lap, and I am powerless to resisit.

I picked up this used fab four reissue kit a few weeks ago. It is sized 20x14, 14x14, 12x8, 14x5. It was a killer deal, as it also came with two DW flush based cymbal stands, a flush based snare and hihat stand, plus an assortment of Gibralter odds and ends.

There are a few extra holes in the bass drum and rack tom from where the original owner made some changes to the mounting hardware, but other than that, these drums are in excellent condition.

I have not had much time to play around with them, but so far, they sound great.

Here they are set up with the Wil Calhoun ride, AA fusion hats, 17" AAX stage and 18" Legacy crashes.

Barry
Old 08-22-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Ludwigs

I love Ludwig!!!

You have a great addition to your collection. All your sets look great!! Any sound clips? I'd love to hear them.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Ahhhhhh i want one so bad. I saw a few clips of Tommy Igoe on one, it sounded amazing.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM

Awesome kit. I love that kind of setup.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Beatle fan and Ringo fan and love the set. I also like the term, " dot comrade"
Old 08-22-2007, 05:56 AM

So how much was this great deal?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

20 sweet characters..
Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

wow those look great! That is and always will be my favorite finish for drums. I guess now that you have such a nice set you can send my those DWs in the backround so they can have an owner who will play them. Those ludwigs are so pretty you wont even miss the DWs
Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

I absoloutly love this kit, what's the finish called?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:11 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomodrum1 View Post
I absoloutly love this kit, what's the finish called?
That is the famous Black Oyster Pearl .......made famous by Ringo ....

personally, I don't like it but.......that's what it is, ..and oh,...it's a modern version of it...the original 60's version is a little different in the swirl pattern......
Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

whaddayat, barry! that looks like a piece of history, there! awesome.. would love to hear how it sounds.. some sound clip would be a great idea. is it 'jazzy' sounding?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

...hello and thanks to all.

I bought this kit for $800.00 Canadian. I also got the afore mentioned hardware, plus a couple of spare bass drum reso heads, one of them being a Ringo Beatles replica.

As I said, every now and again, I end up with a Ludwig kit.

This was my first Ludwig kit. I bought it used for $450.00 Canadian back in 2000. That was for a 22x16, 13x11, 16x16. I loved this kit. I used to say that if I did not hit those drums hard enough, they laughed at me. I sold these just before we moved from Fort st John to Fort McMurray. These were the best sounding loud drums that I have ever played.

There is a story behind these drums, but I will not bore you with it. Needless to say, these butcher block beauties were my second full Ludwig kit. 22x14, 16x16, 13x9. The snare is my Premier supra-faux-nic. When we moved from Fort Mac to Sherwood Park, I left them up in Fort Mac as my jam kit where I was staying during my commute. After a time, I returned them to their rightfull owner in trade for a bunch of strays that proved far more usefull than this kit.

I have always had a soft spot for Ludwig drums, and always believed that I would own several kits. So far I have. I will probably sell these drums one day, as so many people out there have this same soft spot as I. I bought these drums knowing that I am just holding on to them untill someone who has envisioned these as their dream kit comes along to claim them. Untill then, I hope that I don't become too attached to them.

Barry

Last edited by baz; 08-22-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: was not long winded enough
Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Great drums.

What's the other black oyster pearl drum in the shelf behind this one? And the white kit above that? How many do you have?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

very nice tubs, mang. That kit is the exact kit that is burned into my brain when I think of Ludwig drums.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Love it.

The ringo kit will never fall out of favour among us.

I would love one....

Its my dream kit, lol

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Great drums.

What's the other black oyster pearl drum in the shelf behind this one? And the white kit above that? How many do you have?
...I don't have near as many kits as gmrakich, but I am slowly catching up.

Here is a link to the webshots page that has the most up to date state of my drum room.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/al...=entertainment

Barry
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 AM

Nice collection man. I just bought my second kit.. But my funds are telling me to sell my first one. Ahh I dont want to get rid of it but.. I dunno.. A Pearl Export.. For a Pearl Masterworks? haha I am probably gonna sell it.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:21 AM

Those Luddies look amazing!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

They look great, as do your other kits!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm a fan of vintage looking kits and you have a nice one here. I never cared personally for the Oyster colors (perhaps because it was the Ringo kit...) but I do like to see drums in good shape. These looks well taken care of and those flat base cymbal stands are a nice touch. Does the bass drum have a cymbal mount on it? If it does that would be worth looking into. Danmar, I believe is the company that makes stuff like that to buy. It would free up a cymbal stand or you could just put a splash on it. What does that other black oyster kit (looks dw) doing over there on the shelf. You could set them up together...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I'm a fan of vintage looking kits and you have a nice one here. I never cared personally for the Oyster colors (perhaps because it was the Ringo kit...) but I do like to see drums in good shape. These looks well taken care of and those flat base cymbal stands are a nice touch. Does the bass drum have a cymbal mount on it? If it does that would be worth looking into. Danmar, I believe is the company that makes stuff like that to buy. It would free up a cymbal stand or you could just put a splash on it. What does that other black oyster kit (looks dw) doing over there on the shelf. You could set them up together...
That kit (Black Oyster) is not vintage..........
Old 08-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

baz,

nice Ludwigs...definately a nice set that fell into your lap! enjoy them bro!

birch
Old 08-24-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Also if you have a Ludwig dealer near you can order a cymbal arm from Ludwig. The cymbal arms they are making today look like the old vintage ones but are a little more heavy duty.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:40 AM

love the vintage look of the kit, and the hi-hat pedal.. doesn't look that surdy, but it looks great.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM

I like the way the 12 x 8 sits on top of the 20" bass. I have a 12 x 10 on top of a 22" it's quite a hike from the snare to the tom. I'm seeing more and more of this Fab Four retro kit, I like the oyster finish. Nice looking outfit! Where's R2D2?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroneAmbition View Post
I like the way the 12 x 8 sits on top of the 20" bass. I have a 12 x 10 on top of a 22" it's quite a hike from the snare to the tom. I'm seeing more and more of this Fab Four retro kit, I like the oyster finish. Nice looking outfit! Where's R2D2?
...Is that you Chance?

The drums in your avatar look very familiar.

I have been tinkering with the kit a little lately, and I am very impressed with the punch and projection of these little monsters. I swapped heads on the toms, going with coated over clear ambassadors. I also am using an SKI/stock res on the bass with a coated ambo/stock res on the snare. I need to tweak the snare and bass a little more to get them in line with the toms. In the second picture on my first post, you can see a collarlock mounting bracket on the bass drum between the ride, snare, and toms. This bass drum did come with one of those new DW cymbal arms, but I swapped the bracket for the collar lock. I do not think that I will mount a ride on the bass drum, as i have to jut the arm out at an awkward angle in order to fit it where I need it.

I like the configuration of this kit. It is nice and tight with everything in easy reach. I am afraid that the more I play these, the more likely it will be that I end up selling a couple of my other kits. Once the newness wears off I will see how I feel about them.

My only complaint about these drums is how the wrap is starting to shrink a little at the seams. This seems (pun intended) to be a fairly common Ludwig problem from what other Ludwig pounders tell me.

One day soon I am going to set the Ludwigs up with the Dubs just to see what it is like to play a double bass seven piece kit. I will probably sound like a bunch of cardboard boxes falling down some stairs.

Barry
Old 09-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Is that you Chance?

The drums in your avatar look very familiar.

Barry

Sorry, I'm not Chance. My name is Hugh. My kit is a Ludwig Classic Birch which I ordered earlier this year. I'm playing Coated Emperors over Ambassadors all the way around.

I agree with your thought process on not mounting a cymbal to the bass, it would look weird angled out. I've not heard of the shrinking wrap problem until your post, but I've been out of the loop for many years. Sounds like a moisture/humidity issue causing the wood shells to swell.

Be sure to post some pics when you set up the double bass seven-piece configuration.

Hugh