DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 AM

Default sprong tension and beater weight

So I made my choice and ditched with DW9000's for the pearl eliminators. I freaking love these pedals. my current settings are powershifter in light position, red cams, footboard at lowest setting, beaters about 4.5" away from head, spring tension is maxed out.

My question is as follows. When I first set up the pedals, i used the slug jazz pro beaters and found the response to be very lacking. almost too springy. i switched back to the standard weight slug beater and I got back alot of control and power. anyone else have this experience with beater changes on their pedals? The reason I ask is i'm thinking about getting the punch collar slug beaters that are either 1/2 oz. or 1oz. heavier depending on model.

The feeling on my dw9000's was almost opposite. So i'm thinking maybe it's the higher tension spring on the pearls. That thing is beefy.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: spring tension and beater weight

Quote:
The feeling on my dw9000's was almost opposite. So i'm thinking maybe it's the higher tension spring on the pearls. That thing is beefy
When it comes to beaters and springs you are dealing with two things Mass and Spring tension.
The fastest feet in the buisness Thomas Lang as well some great single bass players as lets say John Blackwell jr and Steve Smith run a VERY low spring tension and adjust the mass of the beater to suit them. A host of other "fast feet" also run this way.
You fight spring tension every stroke. Why ADD fatuige? You only need barely enough spring to keep the footboard in contact with your foot. (provided you have good solid technique and are not lifting your feet off the boards needlessly. after all you are playing drums not running)
Mass comes in two forms. One is the overall mass (weight of the beater) and the second would be "moment arm" (in physics){moment arm could be thought of the weight distribution of the beater. ie. weight near the beater end will resist your force to make it swing. weight nearer the fulcrum (away from the beater end) will resist your force less.} Think of it this way I am sure your single stroke roll would be slower with 2S sticks. But your singles would be much faster with a 5A held at the balance point (and using Moeller :)
Thinking in this form allows you to put more force to the drum head when needed and does not use excess energy to play dynamicaly.
I use a double peadal and use both heal up and heal down techniques (quite similar to Thomas Lang's Creative Control DVD) I use a double peadal nowadays use Iron Cobra beaters (a common conversion due to the adjustable mass/weight collars on them) Here is why: the left pedal on a double pedal has more mass overall. This is due to the connecting rod from left to right. To make up for this slightly heavier feeling on the left side I raise the adjusting mass toward the beater on the right side beater until the "feelling of weight" is the same on both sides. I then play lets say One by Meatallica heal down and feel if there and any "Taps" on the soles of my shoes. I then put the smallest amount of spring into each side needed to keep the footboard in control (not separating from my foot and tapping it when they reconnect)
As far as foot board height and beater distance lets talk about the beater distance first. It only needs to be far enough away from the head to play the next stroke during playing (spring tension alters this) and far enough from the head while resting that the peadal swing after you play a single stroke that you do not get extra impacts. Test this by one nice pop into the head and clear your foot of the board to let the beater swing. If you get extra beats then increase the resting distance. Footboard angle is preference. I happen to adjust mine to ease in the simultanious playing of the Hi Hat on the Left and Right sides of my kit. When the Bass Footboad angle and the Hi Hats are adjusted together like that you open a whole world of new techniques to yourself.
Remember these are your legs and you will need your own "Fiddling Around" period to learn how these concepts of ajustments in this method work with you. However one day "Snap" you will just feel it fiddle around just a little more and increase your speed dramaticaly as well as increase your endurance. You even lower your chance of injury. This is NOT FREE speed and endurance. You pay the price in mastering the adjustment of your pedals. This has a learning curve. So a little brain excercise and experimentation instead of foot excercise gives you big results AND may get you right on past your current or next "Plateau."
Mark (CajunRaceR)