DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-26-2007, 03:19 AM

Default 360* kit with lots of possibilities

Hello there,

I've been on this forum for awhile now, and I posted my kit awhile back. A lot has happened since then. My band and I are working hard on an instrumental project, and with the new semester approaching, i'm taking my kit in a new direction. I want to still have a great drumset for playing our music, and working on foot ostinatos. I also wanted a smaller, modified 4-piece for working on d-n-b, jazz, etc.

I go to school for Percussion Performance, and between instructors, Thomas Lang, Jojo Mayer, Neil Peart, etc. I'm always inspired and looking for fun things to do with drumming, and building chops.

So, in short, I decided to build two separate kits, but be able to put them together around one throne, a 360* kit. I've put up some pics of the entire kit and then I'll give the specs of each kit.

While playing around with this kit, I also realized by sitting facing the sides of the kits, I can use various parts on both kits together, with other pedals, and make a hybrid-kit of sorts.

Specs:

Kit 1: D-n-B style set up (insipred by Johhny Rabb, Jojo Mayer etc.)

Drums: Pearl Export 2005 Toms and Bass w/ Pearl Snares

-Kick: 18"x22" Pearl Export
-Snare: Pearl 3"x13" Black Steel Piccolo Snare
-Aux Snare: Pearl 5"x10" Black Firecracker
-Rack: 12"x10" Pearl Export
-Floor: 16"x16" Pearl Export

Cymbals: Various (Left to Right)
-Zildjian 18" Oriental China Trash
-Meinl 8" Classics Powerful Bell
-Zildjian 17" A Custom Medium Crash
-Meinl 8" Gen-X Filter China w/custom rivets
-Sabian 13" AAX Fusion Hi-Hats
-Meinl 10" closed Hats (10" Gen-X Filter China bottom w/custom rivets // 10" Classics Hihat bottom for top)
-Splash Hats 8" (Meinl 8" Classics splash bottom // Zildjian 8" A Custom splash top)
-Meinl 12"/14" trash Hats (14" Gen-X Filter China bottom // 12" Gen-X Johnny Rabb Jungle Hat bottom w/Jingles) ((similar to the Benny Greb Trash Hats))
-Zildjian 20" ZBT ride ((aged to perfection, nice and dirty now))
-Zildjian 18" A Custom EFX Crash
-Meinl 12" Gen-X Johnny Rabb Jungle Hat top ((as splash))

Aux Percussion: LP Cyclops Tambourine mounted, Pro-Mark rattler (attached to ride)

Hardware: Pearl Curved Rack, Clamps, Stands, Pedals, Cymbal Arms, Gibraltar Hi-hat attachments.

Kit 2: Modern Rock/Prog kit set for foot ostinatos (inspired by Thomas Lang, Marco Minnemann, Gavin Harrison, etc.)

Drums: Pearl Export 2005/Export 2000 with Pearl/Pork Pie Snares

-Main Kick: 18"x22" Pearl Export
-Aux. Kick: 16"x16" Pearl Export 2000 Floor Tom (with DW cradle)
-Snare: Pearl 5"x14" Pearl Export Snare ((soon to be Chad Smith snare))
-Aux Snare: Pearl 5"x12" Pork Pie Little Squealer Snare
-Rack 1: 8"x7" Pearl Export
-Rack 2: 10"x8" Pearl Export
-Floor : 11"x13" Pearl Export Rack Tom (mounted)
-Gong Drum: 16"x22" Pearl Export 2000 Bass Drum (mounted)

Cymbals: Various (Left to Right)

-Meinl 12" Gen-X Filter China
-Zildjian 14" ZBT Hi-Hats
-Zildjian 19" A Custom Crash
-Zildjian 6" A Zildjian Splash
-Zildjian 6" ZilBel
-Meinl 8" Gen-X Filter China w/custom rivets
-Zildjian 18" A Custom China
-Meinl 10" Gen-X Filter China w/custom rivets
-Meinl 8" Classics Medium Bell
-Meinl 12" Stax (12" Classics Splash bottom // 12" Gen-X Filter China top)
-Meinl 10" Hi-hats (10" Classics Hi-Hat top for bottom // 10" Classics splash top)
-Wuhan 18" China w/custom rivets
-Zildjian 20" A Custom Crash

Aux Percussion: LP Cyclops Tambourine mounted, LP Granite Blocks, Pearl 51/2" (mounted on foot bracket) and 8" Cowbells

Hardware: Pearl Curved Rack, Clamps, Stands, Pedals, Cymbal Arms, and Foot Bracket.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up on the forum. Also you can check out www.myspace.com/foniks_munky or www.myspace.com/regen1 Thanks again for reading. Feel free to leave lots of comments!
Attached Images

Last edited by TheAnalogKid; 08-27-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Bad Title.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: 360* kit with lots of responsibilities

dude im scared this kit is huge.. how old are those zbts man?.. nice mienl china.. generation x i assume?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 AM

Wow that is a large setup. The exports are ok, but you have many great cymbals!

How do you setup at gigs?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Are you effing serious? that's awesome. You will never run out of sounds.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 AM

Okay so do you just jump in or do you have a small crane setup next to it to lower you in :P

Seriously though, AWESOME KIT MAN. I love it. I (and Im sure ANY drummer...and any non-drummer too lol) would love to sit behind a kit like that!

PS. How does that huge tom (*cough* bass drum *cough*) stay up there? It looks kinda tedious!
Old 08-26-2007, 03:58 AM
Pioneer Member

Looks good. You should look into this new drummer guy, his name is Neil Peart, and people say he isnt too bad at drums either.

heh
Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
Wow that is a large setup. The exports are ok, but you have many great cymbals!

How do you setup at gigs?
Thanks again. I love gigging with my exports. Get some Emps on 'em and a quick tune with the DrumDial and they sound great. When I graduate school, I'll drop 2-3Gs in a nice Masters or Reference kit. For gigs, I use single kick/double pedal, 10, 12, and 13 toms, piccolo, and a few cymbals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
dude im scared this kit is huge.. how old are those zbts man?.. nice mienl china.. generation x i assume?
Thanks. I got the ZBTs in 2000 when I got my first kit. I still use the hats and ride. They've been very beat up, but are in great condition, and the ride cymbal sounds great on recordings; light and pingy. all of the meinl chinas on my kit are the Gen-X Filter chinas, but I do love the Byzance and Mb10 chinas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Looks good. You should look into this new drummer guy, his name is Neil Peart, and people say he isnt too bad at drums either.

heh
You mean the Neil Peart from the Aqua Teen movie? He's awesome!!! No, but seriously I'm a huge Rush fan. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Okay so do you just jump in or do you have a small crane setup next to it to lower you in :P

Seriously though, AWESOME KIT MAN. I love it. I (and Im sure ANY drummer...and any non-drummer too lol) would love to sit behind a kit like that!

PS. How does that huge tom (*cough* bass drum *cough*) stay up there? It looks kinda tedious!
If you look at the second pic, there's an opening in the rack by the 16" floot tom/bass drum, and I go in there. As for the bass drum, I actually drilled FT bolts into it and use it as a floor tom. For this kit, I mount it using the BB-3 bracket and 2 tom arms into one of the rack's leg joint. Pearl racks are ridiculously strong. I can stand on my kit as is, with all that weight on it!

Last edited by TheAnalogKid; 08-26-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Answer quotes.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

That looks like a lot of fun. If I had that much room for my kit I'd try a 360 myself.. I would have to get rid of everything else in this room but the drums. heheh
Old 08-26-2007, 06:05 AM

man you are either endorsed, rich, or have been collecting for quite a long time. Love the set up.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Dude....

thats crazy.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Silver Member

Looks like more fun than a guy could handle. One question ... I recognize the moongel, but what are those two red things on your FT? Polishing rags? Or some cool and groovy item I need to check out at GC? Joey
Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 AM

Hey, how are those chinas with rivets? Even trashier?

And yea, nice kit blah blah haha, I hate you.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 AM

that's one of the neatest looking things i've ever seen in my life.. looks so good.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Pretty cool.

Heck, who am I kidding - THATS AWESOME!!!!!

Its like Grant Collins versus Neil Peart Versus the Rabb-meister!!!!!

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Its like a gymnasium for drums! different workout stations for different part of the music! I love the fact that you've talked about the sides as well, and using the 2 kits together sideways to discover some interesting combinations.. I think thats being real inventive. You should do a drumsolo on this monster and post it up!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Glad you have to move that monster and not me!
Nice kit.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
That looks like a lot of fun. If I had that much room for my kit I'd try a 360 myself.. I would have to get rid of everything else in this room but the drums. heheh
Thanks. I wish that the back wall and wall stage right was pushed back a little further so I had some room for mics and to actually walk around the kit, but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
man you are either endorsed, rich, or have been collecting for quite a long time. Love the set up.
I am neither, endorsed, rich, or have been collecting for awhile. I have relatively "Cheap" drums and cymbals. Most of my cymbals are less than $150. I'm starting to upgrade my older gear, and spend a little more money, but what I do is wait for GCs "12 month financing" and stuff like that, and then just put away the money and pay it off before interest. I've been collecting since 2000, and the only thing I have from my original kit is my FT and Gong Bass, and the 2 ZBTs. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Looks like more fun than a guy could handle. One question ... I recognize the moongel, but what are those two red things on your FT? Polishing rags? Or some cool and groovy item I need to check out at GC? Joey
Ironically enough, they're just wristbands. I tend to use a lot of full-wrist stroke and stuff like that, so I wear wristbands so I don't stress my wrist and such. Nothing special at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple Groove View Post
Hey, how are those chinas with rivets? Even trashier?

And yea, nice kit blah blah haha, I hate you.
For the 8 and 10 filter chinas, I put rivets in them similar to Thomas Lang to increase the sustain. because they're so thin, they sound like little splashes, but with the waved edge and the holes, it just decays to quickly. so the rivets help. As for the Wuhan, I put rivets in it to add sustain, because it has a relatively large crack, and I couldn't throw it away. It just sounds too good now. Occassionally I'll use it as a swish on a jazz gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Pretty cool.

Heck, who am I kidding - THATS AWESOME!!!!!

Its like Grant Collins versus Neil Peart Versus the Rabb-meister!!!!!
Thanks again for the great words everyone. I'm not quite at their level, but I wanted to have 2 kits set up in my basement, so I have the option of playing different styles of music without having to move across the room. I'm currently working with Thomas Lang's and Jojo Mayer's DVDs hence the "d-n-b" kit, and the "Foot-Ostinato" kit. I wish I was as good as those guys, but I'm practicing. As for Neil, I'll always love his drumming, and he will always be my #1 drummer. I wish I was endorsed by Pearl so I could have Grant Collins' kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Its like a gymnasium for drums! different workout stations for different part of the music! I love the fact that you've talked about the sides as well, and using the 2 kits together sideways to discover some interesting combinations.. I think thats being real inventive. You should do a drumsolo on this monster and post it up!
Ironically, this was what I was thinking about as I was building it. Being able to play both sides each time I practice (now all 4 sides). It's helping me develop my left foot lead technuique by using left foot on kick/right foot on hi-hat, despite the fact that I'm left-handed. It's an exercise for your mind, also, to look at this kit, sit a certain way, and see what kind of combinations you can come up with.

As for the solo, I'm still trying to figure out what I can do on each part of it, then I'll worry about the solo, but thanks for the offer.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 PM

i think i'm in love...if u upgrade to a masters or reference that kit is going to be ridiculusly awesome.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:14 PM

Sweet Idea man
looks good!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Nice setup, although I'm more of a fan of basic 4 or 5 piece sets
Old 08-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

How do you play that smal bass\tom, where you get in? I see no double pedal hooked to it, or this that coming?
Overall sweet set-up! Love the ging drum, and 360 thing!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 PM

Lots of great questions and comments guys. Thanks for the praise, and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl_floyd View Post
i think i'm in love...if u upgrade to a masters or reference that kit is going to be ridiculusly awesome.
First, thanks for falling in love with my drums. I would absolutely love a Masters/Masterworks/Reference kit, but I'm actually thinking about getting the BSX session customs. the Birch records so well, and I would keep a few of my EXs for small gigs.

I'd save the Masterworks/Reference for if I got an endorsement, or the first time I do a mainstream tour, which will probably be a few years off, if ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Nice setup, although I'm more of a fan of basic 4 or 5 piece sets
I do love playing a basic kit, but with d-n-b, you do want a couple unique sounds, which is why I put a 2nd crash, weird splash, filter china, and splash hats. The front kit is to please my d-n-b aspirations, and possibly to play jazz gigs with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofle View Post
How do you play that smal bass\tom, where you get in? I see no double pedal hooked to it, or this that coming?
Overall sweet set-up! Love the ging drum, and 360 thing!
Alright, to get in the kit, there's a break around where the small bass/tom is. If you look at the 2nd picture, you can see it.

The small bass/tom is a 16"x16" Pearl Export floor tom, and it's mounted on a DW 9000 series bass drum/tom riser. You can see a pic here I mounted the drum on the riser, and then I use an older Pearl Right-Footed double pedal to use it as a remote drum as part of the foot-ostinato kit. It sounds pretty cool. I also reach down and play it with a stick as part of playing the front kit.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 AM

What school do you go to?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:27 AM
Silver Member

congrats man. Love the kit. You should win Drummerworlds "coolest set-up" if there ever was a contest like that :P. Dude, i totaly agree with giggin with smaller kits. I do the same.

Crazy kit brother....

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 08-27-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE View Post
What school do you go to?
Oakland University in Michigan. You have my ride cymbal as your avatar. I want a 21" Byzance Dark Ride so bad.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
congrats man. Love the kit. You should win Drummerworlds "coolest set-up" if there ever was a contest like that :P. Dude, i totaly agree with giggin with smaller kits. I do the same.

Crazy kit brother....
I don't think I have the coolest set-up, but thanks for the vote. I think if they were high-quality Pearls, or Dbubs, and all my stuff was pro-style, then I might agree. But, I really like Joey's kit. He's got a bomb kit.

There's nothing like goin' out and rockin' the crowd with a small kit.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
I don't think I have the coolest set-up, but thanks for the vote. I think if they were high-quality Pearls, or Dbubs, and all my stuff was pro-style, then I might agree. But, I really like Joey's kit. He's got a bomb kit.

There's nothing like goin' out and rockin' the crowd with a small kit.
agreed. I also think a smaller "pro" level kit is better than a huge semi-pro kit.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 AM

hahah thats unreal man (thumbs way upp)
Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Oakland University in Michigan. You have my ride cymbal as your avatar. I want a 21" Byzance Dark Ride so bad.
I have 13" dark hats.. I did have the 21"ride.. but I just couldn't get enough volume out of it..After a certain point it was too much wash without definition. I had the 18crash also .. which I liked.. but I much prefer the HHX legacy which I replaced it with. My next purchace for a ride is gona be that 24" Meinl mb20 Pure metal ride.. its just unreal. I want to go to school for drumming (the kit) I feel I cant progress anymore than I have without proper instruction. I think when I get my new kit(Masterworks) home that will also open up Alot more opportunity for me to advance..
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE View Post
I have 13" dark hats.. I did have the 21"ride.. but I just couldn't get enough volume out of it..After a certain point it was too much wash without definition. I had the 18crash also .. which I liked.. but I much prefer the HHX legacy which I replaced it with. My next purchace for a ride is gona be that 24" Meinl mb20 Pure metal ride.. its just unreal. I want to go to school for drumming (the kit) I feel I cant progress anymore than I have without proper instruction. I think when I get my new kit(Masterworks) home that will also open up Alot more opportunity for me to advance..
I'm the same way with it. I love the way the 21" sounds for d-n-b and jazz. I also really love the Jojo Mayer fierce Ride and Crash. If I played Sabian exclusively, I would have those, and a 17 and 19 Saturation.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_159 View Post
hahah thats unreal man (thumbs way upp)
Thank you sir! Much appreciated!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Silver Member

Holy crap! That's a friggin' huge kit!

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
Holy crap! That's a friggin' huge kit!
Thank you very much. I appreciate all the great comments and questions. If you guys wanna ask me anything else, I check the forums a couple times a day.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM

Default Re: 360* kit with lots of possibilities

Wicked! I wouldnt even know where to start.

Quote:
I go to school for Percussion Performance, and between instructors, Thomas Lang, Jojo Mayer, Neil Peart, etc. I'm always inspired and looking for fun things to do with drumming, and building chops.
....do you mean to tell me those 3 teach at your school!?!?!?!?!!!?!!??!?!??!?!!?!??!
enroll me
Old 02-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Very cool and bold arrangement. Definitely should be included in a "Most unusual kit set up" thread.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

You like these pearl exports don't you!!!!?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 PM
lewisn27

that is just insane, but amazing
Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Re: 360* kit with lots of possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycurrie View Post
Wicked! I wouldnt even know where to start.

....do you mean to tell me those 3 teach at your school!?!?!?!?!!!?!!??!?!??!?!!?!??!
enroll me

Even better, they teach me in my house... As does Mike Portnoy, Elvin Jones, Dave Lombardo, etc.

DVDs, audio, etc. You know what I'm sayin'
Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Nice stuff.

The 360 looks cool, I like the black on black.

Oakland U eh?

Do you ever go to Huber & Breese in Fraser?

I get everything there.

Enjoying our Michigan winter?

56 yesterday, 30 today...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Beautiful kit, it's now third on my "wanna play" kits list after the albino mosnter and Bozzio's.

I wanted to ask you how do you play your granite blocks (style, technique, etc...) and if they are in the correct set-up because I think I installed them the wrong way.

Thanks,
Banzai

www.sensorama19-81.com