DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Trick Pro 1-V Detonator

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I couldn't find anything. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried this pedal? I've seen videos and read reviews, and it seems amazing. Pearl's making my second bass drum right now (which I'm extatically happy about), and because I play an Eliminator double pedal (can't be converted to two singles), I'm going to be in the market for new pedals soon! I like The Eliminators, but I want a different feel. I don't like DW pedals much, or Iron Cobras, or Yamahas, and I really don't like Axis. But these Trick pedals seem really interesting to me. My local Guitar Center doesn't have them though :( I like a pedal with a fairly light feel, but still a lot of power, smooth power distribution throughout entire stroke, and a little bit of kick back. The one thing I really didn't like about the Axis pedals is that they felt so weak and dead, like I was kicking my bass drum with my toe. And they made my bass drum sound... not so good... at all... and I love my bass drum more than any other i've ever heard. Anyway, thanks in advance for any personal experience and thoughts on the Trick pedals.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...dal?sku=445505

P.S. Price is really not a factor. With drumming, I'm always willing to save up and buy whatever I like best with no price consideration, because I'll never have to replace it unless it breaks and I'll never have to regret not saving up a little more. $650 for pedals that I will love is a better deal than $300 for pedals I will like, in my opinion.

Ok, I'm rambling.

peace.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Trick Pro 1-V Detonator

Check out the PDP B.O.A.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I fell in love with the Trick pedal when I started using it about 18 months ago. In fact, I left DW after almost 22 years endorsing their pedals (5000 and later the 9000.) The Trick is really agile an at the same time, punchy. The footboard really sticks to my foot, so it's easy to do whatever my foot is capable of. That is, I don't have to fight the pedal to get speed or a solid punch.

Granted they're expensive but, in my opinion, well worth the investment.

Bermuda
Old 07-28-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I fell in love with the Trick pedal when I started using it about 18 months ago. In fact, I left DW after almost 22 years endorsing their pedals (5000 and later the 9000.) The Trick is really agile an at the same time, punchy. The footboard really sticks to my foot, so it's easy to do whatever my foot is capable of. That is, I don't have to fight the pedal to get speed or a solid punch.

Granted they're expensive but, in my opinion, well worth the investment.

Bermuda
Thanks, I'll definitely try to find one to check out. I'll try Pacific's new pedal too.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 PM

Check out the Taye Metalworks (a best in show NAMM summer 2007). It's about $100 cheaper than the Trick. Also check out the BOA and of course the Trick if you can drop that kind of cash.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

I think a big part of the Trick's feel is the compression spring design. And it's direct drive. The Ludwig Speed King and the Tama King Beat (HP55) are the only other direct drive compression spring pedals I'm aware of. I know you mentioned you didn't like Yamaha, but if you only tried the chain drive (happens), you might want to check out the Direct Drive Flying Dragon.

Last edited by harryconway; 08-19-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't like Axis, theoretically you won't care for the feel of the Trick. Both pedal's have 'no side-to-side' movement and are very precise, the different springs (on pushing, one pulling) set the two apart.

Trick and Axis are the only two pedal on the market with a precision feel and its due to their design and build quality. I chose Axis in favor of its ability to hold a higher spring tension and still feel good. The Trick is a wonderfully feeling pedal and out-preforms everything not in its class, which is everything but Axis.

The only issue I see with the Trick is the rear heel plate section and its non-replaceable parts that are going to wear out over time and cause some slop.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Pioneer Member

I checked out a Trick double pedal at West Coast Drums a few days ago. That thing is built like a tank. I might pick up one of the single pedals one of these days.

I've been running a DW 9000. It's a nice pedal, but seems to have a very small sweet spot. If your foot isn't positioned just right it can get a little sluggish.

It's more of a left to right thing as opposed to fore and aft. If my foot slides to the right side of the foot board the response changes.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Consultant

I have a pair that I'm thinking of putting on ebay soon. I used them for 3 months, played maybe 15 shows and did a session with them. It is definitely the best built pedal out there in terms of machining work.

As my double pedal technique has evolved over the years, I have developed a taste for a more floating feeling and this baby is not that. This pedal is super-precise, you can breathe on the footboard and the beater will move. Great for some applications and not so great for some others.