DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Yamaha MUSASHI !.. probleme

I just got my 13" yamaha musashi snare from ebay. In the discription the guy says : "drum sounds great, in great condition, used, not abused, coated emperor on top, ambassador snare on bottom, shipping is $15 to US, bidders with zero or negative feedback should contact me first, thanks again good luck NOTE: online stores sell them new for $215.00"

So i receive the package, I open the box, first thing i see is the great finish, almost no scratches on it. So I bring it down stairs, tune the batter head (the lugs really didint turn good, but i figured this would be easy to fix), than I start to play on it, sound good but alot depper sounding than when i had tried it in a store, but i tought that it was because the heads were Emperor over Ambassador, instead of Ambassador over Diplomat. Anyways, I decided to tune up the reso to make it have a higher pitch... Thats when I saw it
THE CRACK!!!!!!!!! the bearing edge has a crack, a bout 1 in long, and half way trew it....... !!!!!!!!!

I bought this snare for 164$, 185$ with shipping. If I had known there was a crack i wouldnt even have bid 1$ on it, so i'm going to ask the guy if he can rembourse me.
Is he supposed to rembourse the shipping cost and the cost it will cost me to send the snare back to him ?

Or is this fixable ?

[...]

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Yamaha MUSASHI !.. probleme

Oh no man! Is that the seam in the picture as well? It almost looks like it might be a manufacturing flaw because the crack winds up going down it, unless it started to crack and that's the route it took. I would definitely try and get reimbursed because that is a major flaw that you were never told about. It is possible that he never knew about it either if he never changed heads or what not, but not very likely.

Actually the first thing I have to ask is, was the package insured? Was the box damaged in any way to look like maybe it was damaged in shipping? That's a possibility too...how well was it packed? If it looks like it was damaged in shipping and you didn't pay for insurance (it should have been in the s&h price..that's what I do) then you're screwed. But if it was this way before he shipped you the drum, then he should refund you although he probably will claim that the damage wasn't there before it was shipped.

I've had two situations where a damaged item was received by the buyer. One was recent, where my Renown bass drum got damaged on route to the buyer. UPS settled the claim and he got enough money to fix it. The other was when I played bass, I shipped an effects pedal to someone and he claims that when he got it, it powered up but didn't work, meaning it didn't alter the tone of his bass at all. I knew when I shipped it that it worked perfectly, and I wrapped it in some much bubble wrap and used so much packing material and tape that if the UPS truck had run over it it would have still functioned. I don't remember exactly but I think just to make him happy and avoid the negative rep, and because I knew he wouldn't accept anything else, I gave him a 50% refund. I probably screwed myself doing that, but that's how I took care of it.

I'm sure that it is fixable. Wood filler would probably have to be applied and then the area sanded smooth. Thankfully it's not on the bearing edge where the head makes contact so it shouldn't really affect tuning, but you want to make sure it doesn't get worse.

So just email the seller immediately and see what he says. If he doesn't go for a refund (which if I didn't know the drum had that flaw and if there wasn't concrete proof that it was damaged in shipping, I'd be afraid to do), he should at least knock off like $50 to pay for repairs and give you some sort of compensation for not having a drum that was as described.

I hope this gets resolved. Again, this sucks, I was really looking forward to you getting the snare :(

*edit* Forgot to add...If I was going to reimburse, I probably wouldn't reimburse shipping costs from the first time I shipped it, but I may reimburse any return shipping costs. I guess it depends on the situation. Usually the buyer is required to pay the shipping costs back and first time shipping isn't refunded because that money is in the shipping company's hands now.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator

That drum looks like it was dropped, split on the seam of shell and then continued along one of the plies into the bearing edge. I would definitely try and get my money back. He may have not known it was split if it happened and he never took the head off but I doubt it. If he gets testy just report him to the appropriate folks.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
That drum looks like it was dropped, split on the seam of shell and then continued along one of the plies into the bearing edge. I would definitely try and get my money back. He may have not known it was split if it happened and he never took the head off but I doubt it. If he gets testy just report him to the appropriate folks.
Is that possible though for it to get damaged like that and have no finish flaws as a result, and especially if the hoops were on?

Keep in mind that Ebay charges a $25 fee I believe for disputes, so you won't get EVERYTHING back, but it's still better than nothing.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Not only is it split, it looks like somebody tried to repair it with Superglue. Hard to tell for sure from a picture only, but that's what it looks like. That means SOMEBODY knew it was split...

I'd certainly working on getting my money back, including shipping at least one way, preferably both.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

The finish is flawless, no sratches, the hoops look fine, not dented, bearing edges are perfect ecept that single spot. Anyways I just sent him a message to ask him what he would like to do about it.

But i still dont know if i want to keep it or send it back, It still sounds good, but the crack really bothers me.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
The finish is flawless, no sratches, the hoops look fine, not dented, bearing edges are perfect ecept that single spot. Anyways I just sent him a message to ask him what he would like to do about it.

But i still dont know if i want to keep it or send it back, It still sounds good, but the crack really bothers me.
I would ultimately try and get your money back. It might sound good, but any Musashi is going to sound just as good. So first I'd concentrate on getting your money back, and then looking around for another deal on one, and then if that doesn't work, trying to get a substantial refund and getting it repaired. Now that I look again, it does look like it was poorly repaired with superglue, which isn't going to hold. Wood glue and wood filler is what should have been used, but ultimately this drum should never have been sold without the flaw being mentioned.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

thats just wrong. Best of luck to you i hope you get your money back. i can't image the feeling you had when you noticed it. that really sucks best of luck to you
Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 AM
Silver Member

Ok, so the seller offered me a full refund... But i'm really unsure if I want to give it back, It still sounds great, and I would fix it or get it fixed... It's a really hard decision.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:28 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Ok, so the seller offered me a full refund... But i'm really unsure if I want to give it back, It still sounds great, and I would fix it or get it fixed... It's a really hard decision.
Take the refund, don't even hesitate. You can find another Musashi for what you paid for this one, but a refund opportunity like this may not come around again. For the money you paid you shouldn't have to deal with a cracked shell even if it can be fixed.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

Ok, thats what ill do , but its really hard !!! agh!! I've wanted this snare for some time.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Ok, thats what ill do , but its really hard !!! agh!! I've wanted this snare for some time.

Thanks for the help.
I know, but you'll find another Musashi at the same or similar price, I'm sure of it. Just keep looking. I wish I still had mine. When I was going to sell it before I traded it I was going to ask $150.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Gold Member

Dude, send it back ASAP! You have the seller giving a full refund, don't even hesitate. You'll find another.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 AM

file a claim with paypal!
they usually get al your money back. if not just tell him you will contact the police or something.

scaring those scammers seems to work, it did for me.

-Wes
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

He was very comprehensive, and said he would refund everything, snare, shipping, and shipping back.
He said he had never noticed the crack, and was deeply sorry.

So I dont think I have to be mean or anything
Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

that sucks. last year my dad got me a tama artwood snare in black sparkle and they forgot to cut the snare bed! i was so mad,
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
that sucks. last year my dad got me a tama artwood snare in black sparkle and they forgot to cut the snare bed! i was so mad,
Really? Wow. I'm surprised that got through QC.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Youd be surprised what gets through....

But its really surprising from Tama....

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

not really fixable. should should get full re-imbuserment. That really sucks, man.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Yeah were ever you got that from i would send it back thats not cool

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24312
Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 PM

man, i would go get my money back
Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I was over at the Tama forum and a guy had bought a Bill Bruford signature snare. When he went to replace the batter head, he noticed they had cut snare beds on the top also. I'm not surprised anymore by what gets by QC.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I was over at the Tama forum and a guy had bought a Bill Bruford signature snare. When he went to replace the batter head, he noticed they had cut snare beds on the top also. I'm not surprised anymore by what gets by QC.
Wow, that one is even stranger. It makes me feel not so bad that my first 8x12 New Classic tom had a slightly flawed bearing edge.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

That's a bummer about the snare but I would definately send it back especially
since the seller is offering the refund for it. You can probably get it fixed or do it
yourself but why spend any more money than you already have. You can always get another one. Best of luck bro.

birch
Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
not really fixable. should should get full re-imbuserment. That really sucks, man.
Actually, proper application of carpenter's glue and a vice clamp will fix it... though I would NOT stand for that. I just had a Gretsch Catalina Maple 6 piece kit come in for stock at my store, and when I went to install the heads I noticed a spider web style crack starting at one of the lug's screw holes. That was put through QC (don't ask me how) and made it through the distributor's warehouse before I got it. Very disturbing... needless to say, Gretsch took it back free of charge and is sending me another one.

My biggest question now is whether they're ORDERING me a new one (to wait 4-6 months for) or if they're giving me one off another of the kits in the warehouse.

I better find that out :)

P.S. As far as whether it was dropped, that would probably have resulted in exterior damage rather than interior. Though anything is possible.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
He was very comprehensive, and said he would refund everything, snare, shipping, and shipping back.
He said he had never noticed the crack, and was deeply sorry.

So I dont think I have to be mean or anything
That's really good of him. Make sure he knows how appreciative you are, because a guy like that doesn't come around too often. I'm really impressed with his attitude. It's really sad, those Musashi snare drums are really great little drums (although I've had a strainer issue recently - the only weak part of the whole drum (I want to get it replaced)) and they really are very well made. You'll be ecstatic when you get one in great condition, they really do sound wonderful.