DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-13-2007, 03:48 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Vintage Premiers

Ok, so they're not Ludwigs, I traded my Ludwigs for these straight up. I may not keep them however, the guy at the drum shop failed to tell me about a crack on the inside of the kick where the leg is. I only saw it when I was swapping heads after I took them home, it still sounds great, actually better than the Ludwig kick. The toms wern't as warm as the Ludwigs, but pretty similiar tone. Anyway, they look pretty good for a kit made in the seventies. The kit has a 9x13, 16x16, and a 14x22.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:31 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Vintage Premiers

They look nice, I like the wrap, very classy. How big is the crack? Could it be fixed? If you like the drums it would be a shame to give them up just for a repairable issue. If not, would the store take them back? After all they didn't disclose a pretty major flaw.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 AM

They look great! I hate to hear about the crack-is it anything major? If not, it's a keeper in my opinion but you need to be happy . Don't settle for something you don't really want.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 AM
Jusstickinaround

The crack is actually on the inside and outside were the leg mount is. The drum must have been dropped or something smashed in to it pretty hard because it's pretty noticeable from the inside. A friend of mine told me it could eventually cave in and then it would be a real problem, he told me he could repair it for $45. I'm sure the drum shop I bought them from would take them back, I've been dealing with the owner for years, what pisses me off is that they didn't tell me about it in the first place. Whatever, I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if he will either make me a better deal or just get my Ludwigs back. I do like them, but I don't know if I want to fork over more doe to repair them.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

I think like those better than your other ludwigs, maybe the store can pay for the premiers to get repaired, since they didn't tell you about it.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Classic is always in.

That kit is no exception.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

I love the art deco style to the old Premier lugs, and the faucet handle shape to the T-rods. Bummer about the damage. If the drum shop could repair them or cover the cost, that would be sweet.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Damage or no damage - they are some very nice drums.

I had the pleasure of playing on a similar kit once, and was very suprised at the tones it produced, very warm and clear.

You lucky, lucky drummer......

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Jusstickinaround

I've noticed a few things about these vintage Premier drums that seem to make them a bit ahead of there time.

Notice the first picture how heavy duty the floor tom leg mount is. There is a nut inside the casing that takes the screw so if it strips you simply replace the nut which you can remove when you loosen the wing nut.
The second shows the curved bass drum leg, looks a bit like what Ayotte uses.
The third picture shows only one hole for each tension rod on the 13" tom.

Last edited by Jusstickinaround; 08-15-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:16 AM
fourstringdrums

So have you decided if you're keeping them?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The spurs look like they could be the originals. Those kind of spurs were in use around that time. The single-point contact lugs are also a common feature of kits from this era as well, Premier used quite small lugs so there was little need for double-drilling.

The floor tom bracket I'm not totally sure about, but having seen a 60's 'Olympic' (Premier's sub-brand back then) floor tom with a similar bracket, I wouldn't suspect you have any particular reason to believe that these parts aren't original.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The spurs look like they could be the originals. Those kind of spurs were in use around that time. The single-point contact lugs are also a common feature of kits from this era as well, Premier used quite small lugs so there was little need for double-drilling.

The floor tom bracket I'm not totally sure about, but having seen a 60's 'Olympic' (Premier's sub-brand back then) floor tom with a similar bracket, I wouldn't suspect you have any particular reason to believe that these parts aren't original.
Quite the contrary, I know the hardware is all original. I went on a Premier site and saw a similiar kit with the same hardware. My point was that most big companies back in the sixties and seventies like Ludwig or Rogers used lighter duty hardware. I know Ludwig kits used bolts instead of wing nuts for the tom mounts and Rogers had the swivel-ma-tic on the tom mount. I had to use a wrench to tighten the Ludwigs and the swivel-ma-tic tom holder isn't the easiest thing to engage and disengage. I know the ball and socket made for easier positioning, but it was still somewhat lightweight. As far as the lugs on the Premier you're talking six holes compared to 24 holes for most other kits. I never really knew much about vintage Premier drums, but I'm finding out that not only do they sound great, the hardware is more like what you see on modern kits, and yes I'm keeping the kit, at least for awhile.
Check out this mount on the kick, two giant wing nuts.

Last edited by Jusstickinaround; 08-15-2007 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
KARL MEMBER

Nice kit!!
Do you know which wood it`s made from? And from what Premier line is this kit, how is that called?

I like this more heavy-duty hardware, especially for this time.

Glad you like it.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Ah right, I misunderstood the original post. I thought you were pointing out things that you didn't think were original. In that case, we were both right.

They're probably a combination of Poplar and Eucalyptus (Gum). Most Premier drums of that period tend to use Eucalyptus in at least one of the plies, so the question is really what do the other plies consist of? It's difficult to be sure.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Ah right, I misunderstood the original post. I thought you were pointing out things that you didn't think were original. In that case, we were both right.

They're probably a combination of Poplar and Eucalyptus (Gum). Most Premier drums of that period tend to use Eucalyptus in at least one of the plies, so the question is really what do the other plies consist of? It's difficult to be sure.
I found out that they are actually 3 ply birch shells with beechwood reinforcement hoops. That makes sense because this kit reminds me of a Ludwig sky blue pearl kit I had with the 3 ply maple/poplar/maple shells. The kick on this kit is simply amazing, I put an Evans EQ4 on it and holy cow, it's got more punch and depth than any kick I've owned. I had a bit of a problem with the 13, I put the new heads on hastily, but after removing them and putting them on correctly the tom sang like a bird, even more so when I added a rims system. The 16 sounds great as well. I can't believe how shiney the hardware is and the wrap looks like it was put on yesterday. I'm not saying I'm in love with this kit, (yet), but I don't feel so bad about trading my Ludwigs.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

That's interesting and it seems quite unusual. I was of the impression that most of the shells, particularly those from this era, were combinations of woods. Either way you've got yourself a lovely kit there, I can't say I'm not a tad envious. Now, I seem to recall one of my old schools having an old Premier somewhere... but I doubt I could swing a deal. Those old bass drums really know how to kick it. I honestly think 14" is the sweet length, I see little point in anything longer. 16" is pushing it.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
That's interesting and it seems quite unusual. I was of the impression that most of the shells, particularly those from this era, were combinations of woods. Either way you've got yourself a lovely kit there, I can't say I'm not a tad envious. Now, I seem to recall one of my old schools having an old Premier somewhere... but I doubt I could swing a deal. Those old bass drums really know how to kick it. I honestly think 14" is the sweet length, I see little point in anything longer. 16" is pushing it.
Yeah, I was told by a reliable source that these are birch shells. I also went on a Premier site and the guy there had a kit from around the same year as these and he said they were birch, and he was selling the kit for $1,200. I totally agree with you on the kick, 14" is a sweet length, these kits with 18" and even 20" lengths are overkill, and don't seem to add much punch, besides they're harder to transport, ha.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

very nice kit. I really like the finish. And i geuss the sound, you probaly can't beat, can you?? ;)

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 08-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
very nice kit. I really like the finish. And i geuss the sound, you probaly can't beat, can you?? ;)
Yeah, it's definitely a vintage tone, and I like them, but some may not like that sound. This is my first experience with vintage Premiers, I've owned the XPK line the original Cabrias and a Genista kit, but never one this old. I'm quite impressed with it so far, and the finish is so clean and unfaded I thought they might have been rewrapped, but I had them checked out and it seems all original. I always knew Premier had the shinest chome plating and I've always liked Premier drums, so this kit is working out. However, I have to be honest, my Ludwigs wern't selling on ebay because of some cosmetic issues so I thought I might have a better chance selling these, they are on ebay as we speak. This may sound a bit contradictive, but a friend of mine who owns a drum shop has a DW kit in wmp, 9x13,16x16, and 14x22, that he will sell me for $1,300. When I first got the Premier kit I thought it was a good idea, but now I'm having second thoughts and I'm thinking about stopping the auction, unless ofcourse someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Jusstickinaround

Here's a photo with the 13 on a rims system, I was able to turn the badge to the front. The rims made a big difference in the sound of this particular drum, unlike most other vintage drums I've tried them on.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member

Looking good. I personally like these a lot more than your old Ludwigs. Much classier.
And now the choice is vintage Premier birch or modern DW maple... Just have to let your ears decide there me thinks.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Looking good. I personally like these a lot more than your old Ludwigs. Much classier.
And now the choice is vintage Premier birch or modern DW maple... Just have to let your ears decide there me thinks.
Yeah, The Premiers are starting to grow on me.
As far as the DW go, that will only happen if I can sell these, which isn't looking to good right now. Actually, the more I play these, the more I realize I've got a great kit and I don't really need a DW like the other kids on the block.