DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-17-2007, 08:03 PM

Default snare rattle

my high tom makes my snare rattle when i hit the tom. what should i do to change this.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: snare rattle

I had this same problem when i was younger, but i learned to fix it. All you have to do is tighten up the knob next to the switch that turns on and off your snare.

3000th Post!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Those are called sympathetic vibrations. Basically what you need to do is adjust the tuning of either your snare or high tom.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Silver Member

[quote=Class A Drummer;349259]I had this same problem when i was younger, but i learned to fix it. All you have to do is tighten up the knob next to the switch that turns on and off your snare.

3000th Post![/QUOTE

ALL of my drums cause snare buzz. Decided to just live with it because they all sound great. Is it something that really needs to be fixed? I suppose for recording, but for just playing the kit? Joey
Old 08-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Pioneer Member

[quote=joeybeats;349392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I had this same problem when i was younger, but i learned to fix it. All you have to do is tighten up the knob next to the switch that turns on and off your snare.

3000th Post![/QUOTE

ALL of my drums cause snare buzz. Decided to just live with it because they all sound great. Is it something that really needs to be fixed? I suppose for recording, but for just playing the kit? Joey
Yeah if its not such a big overtone or ring, then i wouldnt worry about it. Sometimes its good to have a little tiny snare rattle, cuz its makes it sound less "jungly". But if its really noticeable, it can be reaaaaaaaaaaally annoying. So you can also mess with the snare tuning, and possibly make it tighter. Thats another thing. You can Tighten your alot too, and keep the knob loose. Mine is actually like that at the moment. Sorry forgot to mention it.

Its up to you, so i would mess around with it and see what works.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Class A ... how about another one for you. Will changing the snarewires do anything to the rattle? I use the originals that came on a 2006 Black Beauty. Would Purewire or whatever that high end brand is called, change the buzz? Would I go more or less wires? Maybe a certain style they offer? OK, since I have your attention, will changing the snares make my drum sound better in general, forgetting about the buzz issue, because I really don't care bout the buzz. Thanks!
By the way, no bad ring or overtunes ... just a snarebuzz. Joey
Old 08-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Thanks Class A ... how about another one for you. Will changing the snarewires do anything to the rattle? I use the originals that came on a 2006 Black Beauty. Would Purewire or whatever that high end brand is called, change the buzz? Would I go more or less wires? Maybe a certain style they offer? OK, since I have your attention, will changing the snares make my drum sound better in general, forgetting about the buzz issue, because I really don't care bout the buzz. Thanks!
Actualy, i have absolutley no idea. I have never tried to change my snare wires at all. I figure that thinner or less wires will give less of a ring but dont hold me to that. I would suggest asking around the forum a little bit, or just head over to a local music store and ask one of the guys in the drum department and see what they think.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Puresound Equalizer snare wires are designed such that they are missing the middle 6 wires or so. They are supposed to cut down on sympathetic vibration. I've tried them but I didn't notice that big of a difference.

Sympathetic buzz is pretty much going to occur no matter what you do unless you put the tension on the snare wires so tight that you're choking the drum, and that's never good. The best thing you can do is just live with it and try and adjust the amount the best you can. Tune your snare properly and then adjust the offending drum (usually the first rock tom) but tuning it a bit higher or lower than where it currently is. Some drummers like Billy Ward use it as part of their sound, and that can be a good thing.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Pioneer Member

A lot can have to do with the type of snares you have. The material type and arrangement are the factors. A lot of people overlook snares and use cheaply made ones. I've noticed that these tend to rattle more than better made ones. Puresound Percussion makes great snares but they aren't the only ones. Actually some of those cable type of snares are probably the best not to rattle excessively. That's why they are used so often in orchestral settings instead of wire ones.