DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Protection- cases or bags...

I'm in need of some cases or bags, and was curious if anyone has ideas. I'll be transporting and loading/unloading/setting up/breaking down my kit myself, so I would like to know if I should go with a fiber set, or just well-padded bags, or a combination of the two. I'm also trying not to spend anymore than $250 US, and I already have a good hardware case and cymbal case. I was browsing at musiciansfriend.com and saw a Nomad fusion set that looked nice and wasn't too pricey, but i don't believe there was much padding. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance-
Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Protection- cases or bags...

Firstly, what is the finish on your set. For that matter, what are the specs of your set in general. Is the finish lacquer or a wrap? Wraps can withstand more abuse without scratching, etc, so if it is a wrap and your budget is tight, you could go for bags. If it's a lacquer finish, I would reccomend cases. I use SKB cases for my Session Custom set, they have not failed me at all. For my vintage kits, I have a set of bags to use. I may end up getting some cases, but for now bags are providing more than enough protection.

I'd say overall though, that you want your drums to be protected. IF you have the budget for it, I'd say go with cases. Well padded ones. Check out those SKBs.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

If your just doing local gigs an handling gear yourself, go with bags. Move up to cases if your traveling in a bus/van and others handle your gear.

Bags are more convenient, take less space. I use bags that are one size over for greater ease and protection.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Protection Racket cases are the best.

You will be happy if you buy them.

Unless your touring in a truck, I think the hardcases might not be suitable, and they wear out the upholstery on you car.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 AM

cool i'll definitely check all those out thanks for the tips... My kit is wrapped, and I will be traveling around the country off and on for the next few months, in a bus, RV, or van, but we won't have a road crew so i'll be the doing most of the transporting myself, and i usually won't be using my own vehicle except for the local shows, but i honestly don't care about my upholestry (i do, but my kit always comes first hehe)- I've already busted the cheap fiberboard in my trunk, thanks to my hardware case. I would love cases, but i don't have the budget for nice ones with padding or anything that a wooden box couldn't handle, so I think my best bet for now is to get some plush bags that I could still use with some cases in the future. Grah-see-us
Old 08-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
If your just doing local gigs an handling gear yourself, go with bags. Move up to cases if your traveling in a bus/van and others handle your gear.

Bags are more convenient, take less space. I use bags that are one size over for greater ease and protection.
That's three agreeing nods from me over here.

I'm using an oversized set of Warwick 'Rock Bags' and they're excellent. I really cannot complain about anything, they're great quality, simple, well padded and well thought out. They came with extra shoulder straps if you wanted to carry them on your back even! Haven't used those yet... but I am taking my kit out once or twice a week at the moment and have never had ANY problems. They weren't took expensive either, around 120 I think.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Gold Member

i got luck and snagged a 6 piece hard case set for only $99. They don't offer steel plated kevlar shell protection, but they are firm enough to give more protection than softcases without being a heavy weight.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'd definitely stay away from fiber cases.

Bags are fine if you're handing the drums and you're just local. Protection Racket are very good and they are semi-rigid and affordable, but they are hard to get in the US and won't fit some unusual sizes. If you're on a budget, you can get some low-end Beatos or Kaces and those would do fine.

I have a complete set of Hardcases (www.hardcase.com). These are overkill, but they provide absolute protection. My drums could fall of a car at highway speeds and remain untouched. Also, they have a nice stacking feature and you can move them faster. But they do take up more room in the car. They nest inside each other for storage.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

[quote=Deathmetalconga;345813]I'd definitely stay away from fiber cases.

Bags are fine if you're handing the drums and you're just local. Protection Racket are very good and they are semi-rigid and affordable, but they are hard to get in the US and won't fit some unusual sizes. If you're on a budget, you can get some low-end Beatos or Kaces and those would do fine.

I have a complete set of Hardcases (www.hardcase.com). These are overkill, but they provide absolute protection. My drums could fall of a car at highway speeds and remain untouched. Also, they have a nice stacking feature and you can move them faster. But they do take up more room in the car. They nest inside each other for storage.

Actually, the Protection Racket bags are easily attainable in the U.S. I order mine, if they're not in stock, from West Coast Drums. There is a U.S. distributor now.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post

Actually, the Protection Racket bags are easily attainable in the U.S. I order mine, if they're not in stock, from West Coast Drums. There is a U.S. distributor now.
I tried getting some PRs in early 2006. Maybe my local music stores didn't have the right connections. Plus, my drums are odd sizes and PR wouldn't have been able to fit them and I hear they only make custom bags in the UK. The nice thing about Hardcases is that the bottom slides into the top, fitting deeper drums. I put the extra room to use, as I can slip a stick bag next to the bass drum and Velcro other odds and ends.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I'd definitely stay away from fiber cases.

i agree here i have a full set of these cases and they are great the staking system is killer and you can also but a little trolly to cart your drums on from these guys...... i have a 8 peice set and it cost just over a thousand australian dollers to case the whole kit.. i know thats out of what u want to spend but these cases are very reliable and they look cool to with the yellow on black its great........
Old 08-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Hey ddrummer, how is that cymbal case? Does it come with rolling wheels and a handle? I've got arthritis now in my shoulder and I'm trying to do as little lifting as possible!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

thats what i do, and i got some cheap bags, that do the trick.. not amazing, but they get the job done.

-Wes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:26 PM

anything to keep it from getting banged up or scratched.