DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Default dts one touch tuning system

i just read the review for this in the new modern drummer and it looks very cool. does anyone have one of these systems yet?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: dts one touch tuning system

here is a vid of this tuning system for those of you who have not seen it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qjndwg03XzQ
Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

sounds like one of those 'lose 30 pounds in a week' kind of deals........!?!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:00 PM

They are cool man. Personally, I really enjoy tuning my drums by hand. You also have to understand that you have to start off, before you can even use it, by making sure all of the tension rods are at equal tensions. They also are pretty expensive at $50 a pop. Thats something like $400 for an entire basic 5 piece kit. Thats not too cool...
Old 08-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Without regards to their merit or function my question would be, how often do you need to tune or re-tune your drums in a hurry? Most of us tune and then leave them alone.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:15 PM

too expensive, i don't think many of us would value Quick tuning at that price, nor would it always work, cause sometimes you dont want your lugs to all be the same, you just want the same tone outta each of them.

-Wes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Well, Just like the Catapult pedal, its a neat idea, which may or may not be suitable for everyone.

I like tuning, and Know that I wouldnt ever need such a device - but its good for some people, for example session drummers who need to raise or lower pitch between songs in the studio.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-18-2007, 07:25 PM
fourstringdrums

Look at their arists page. Apparently some pros like Neil Peart use it, but I wonder if that's actually true or not.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Consultant

I am seriously considering trying these out. I have always thought that having lugs on a drum which had to be tuned to the same tension was primitive compared to what was being done in simlilar applications in the manufacturing world.

In other words, why should I be spending all this time making them all the same when I could just connect them all somehow and have one turn affect all equally? Am I a slave to tradition?

Plus, how many of you have actually experimented with all of the possibilities of relative head tension? What do your drums sound like when the top head is a fourth higher? or the same pitch? Most guys are happy if they get a good sound and they leave it alone. I know I don't have the time to properly experiment. For me, this is a bigger selling point than the speed thing.

Remember, tuning is NOT an art. The piano player is an artist, the piano tuner is a craftsman. We just need to get the job done so that we can then display our art.

The only place I can't see it working would be on the bottom snare head. Snare beds require the lugs near them to be cranked higher to achieve the same tension.

If I get them, I'll post a review but it is worthwhile to note that MD, DRUM, and Drumhead mags all loved it.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Look at their arists page. Apparently some pros like Neil Peart use it, but I wonder if that's actually true or not.
Getting paid to say you use something is not the same as actually using it.

Toothpaste commercial. "4 out of 5 dentists recommend ....." What happens is they ask a dentist, would you recommend this product?...he says yes....BIngo, its recommended.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 PM

It looks cool, but it's just a novelty item...a really expensive novelty item.
But one option would be to only get them for the top heads, and just continue to hand-tune the bottom heads.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

DTS begs the question "What happened to the Arbiter Advanced Tuning System drums"?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2007, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

It sounds very cool, and seems like as long as you don't expect it to do all the work it does the job. Of course the problem is that it's only a worthwhile investment for the small group of touring drummers who need to change their sound that often. If I had the money like Jeff said I would totally put this system on one good kit and spend the time to experiment and teach myself about tuning.

As far as Les's Arbiter tuning system... You lost me.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Arbiter ATS drums intro'd in 96' ceased in 2001. ATS drums are everything DTS wants to be an more. ATS lives on in the Arbiter 'Flats', but they're only 1/3 a drum.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Last edited by Les Ismore; 08-22-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: bmp. not viewable
Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Having said that - Oscar Seaton DOES use it, Ive seen him :-)

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Arbiter ATS drums intro'd in 96' ceased in 2001. ATS drums are everything DTS wants to be an more. ATS lives on in the Arbiter 'Flats', but they're only 1/3 a drum.
Well, it looks like you had to buy the whole drum, though, even though it is the same idea as DTS. Was there a way to get the just rims/tuning system and put it on your own shells? That would seem easy because there's way less hole-making for the shell.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Consultant

Those Arbiters look better than the DTS system. Too bad they're not around as a retrofit.

The cables on the DTS bother me. They make it look like one of Professor Bullfinch's crazy contraptions. But if it works, and is reliable over time then it's worth it.

Betcha 50 bucks it's not around in 5 years though, even if I do buy it. :)
Old 08-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Most of us tune and then leave them alone.
Most of us don't play three different gigs a day, either.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Those Arbiters look better than the DTS system. Too bad they're not around as a retrofit.

The cables on the DTS bother me. They make it look like one of Professor Bullfinch's crazy contraptions. But if it works, and is reliable over time then it's worth it.

I think DTS has been around for a while, at least 5 years. I haven't gotten MD in ages, but I remember seeing ads for them I believe a few years ago. There must be enough people buying it for it to still be here.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

i thought that arbiter drums looked killer. i was really bumed that they stopped making them.
as far as a use for the dts my main use is to be able just to tune all the lugs up in the same intervals to get a good sound without have to go tension rod to tension rod getting everything in pitch. it just seems like an archaic way to tune drums after all these years. the arbiter drums were a great idea that should have taken off big time.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
You also have to understand that you have to start off, before you can even use it, by making sure all of the tension rods are at equal tensions
Well, he says that you have to start out with tension rods finger tight, which isn't to precise, so I'm not really sure what that means. I imagine evenness of tension is only as good as what the tension rods start out with. This thing probably only works within that.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:29 PM

well, there has to be a reason the arbiters didn't take off, either because they didn't work right, or they didn't retrofit current drums, or some unseen reason like, they look goofy to some people, or maybe just bad marketing.

they may have also been expensive to either make or sell, so they were either not making enough profit off of each sale, or no one was buying them beacuse of the high prices.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:48 PM

I ordered all of these direct from Drumtech yesterday... one for each side... Their original suggestion was just to get them for the Bottom heads, and hand tune the top, (or visa versa, I cant remember), I went ahead and bought them for both top and botom for (10",
12",14" and 16" Toms, as well as my snare) cost me $400.... Im starting to gig, however, I will not need to adjust the toms up and down, but I bought them for the ease of just being able to keep the toms in tune with itself... call it lazy i guess, but I can't seem to tune for crap.. I've got torque wrenches, DrumDials, and by ear, and I just cant seem to get the sound that I nkow they are capable of. I've only been playing for 5 years, but I'm told it's a fine art that really takes some time, energy... and to be honest, I'd rather spent more time playing, and less time tuning. I'll let you guys know what the kit is really about... the benefits and some sounds if I can get them out of my garage, if anyone would be interested in hearing....

I did spend a great deal of time talking with Doug there are Drumtech... the way the system works, doesnt really matter how tight you tighten the lugs... they will self adjust, and make the head in tune with itself.. thats the way the system is designed... the only time you'll have to "pre tension" is maybe in the case of my snare, where I really want it to be tightened down, other than that.. All lugs should be finger tight only...
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbop40 View Post
well, there has to be a reason the arbiters didn't take off, either because they didn't work right, or they didn't retrofit current drums, or some unseen reason like, they look goofy to some people, or maybe just bad marketing.

they may have also been expensive to either make or sell, so they were either not making enough profit off of each sale, or no one was buying them beacuse of the high prices.

Arbiters tuning system stayed on the drum, its not a modualr thing like DTS. They got a good review in Modern Drummer Mag (9-98) from Rick Mattingly, then just dissapeared. Someones gotta know something.

Did Guitar Center (US distributor) screw Arbiter over? Patent issues in america? Was Ivor Arbitor the type to say "*uck all! If I can't have it no ones getting it." ?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

well, i must say that i hope that somebody comes out with a one lug tuning drum again. i think that the one lug tuning system is an awesome idea. i would like to see drummers start to buy drums with a better tuning apparatus so that drum makers will keep making drums like that. if drummers start to buy their drums the one lug tuning system will take off and then get more and more refined so that the system will just be awesome over time.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpusher View Post
I ordered all of these direct from Drumtech yesterday... one for each side... Their original suggestion was just to get them for the Bottom heads, and hand tune the top, (or visa versa, I cant remember), I went ahead and bought them for both top and botom for (10",
12",14" and 16" Toms, as well as my snare) cost me $400.... Im starting to gig, however, I will not need to adjust the toms up and down, but I bought them for the ease of just being able to keep the toms in tune with itself... call it lazy i guess, but I can't seem to tune for crap.. I've got torque wrenches, DrumDials, and by ear, and I just cant seem to get the sound that I nkow they are capable of. I've only been playing for 5 years, but I'm told it's a fine art that really takes some time, energy... and to be honest, I'd rather spent more time playing, and less time tuning. I'll let you guys know what the kit is really about... the benefits and some sounds if I can get them out of my garage, if anyone would be interested in hearing....

I did spend a great deal of time talking with Doug there are Drumtech... the way the system works, doesnt really matter how tight you tighten the lugs... they will self adjust, and make the head in tune with itself.. thats the way the system is designed... the only time you'll have to "pre tension" is maybe in the case of my snare, where I really want it to be tightened down, other than that.. All lugs should be finger tight only...
So I was doing a search for more info on these and I found this post. Now that you have had some time to really test these out, what do you think of them? Would you buy the whole set like this again?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post

4 months to go, Jeff.

Just kidding, but I was searching for something else and found this thread. DTS is too short a term for the search function, so I was curious, to see if anyone had tried these.
At first I thought it was a lame idea because if the drum was out of tune when the lugs were finger tight, this would just be like adding equal turns at each lug. But that doesn't seem right. Equal turns at each lug won't give equal tension because the head isn't perfectly centered or symmetrical. This would actually give equal tension at each lug, which seems like what you'd want. It's what a drum dial shoots for after all.
Anyway, it seemed like a cool idea for the reso head on toms.
Thoughts?
Todd