DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-15-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Hi Hat and Snare Stands...

I'm assuming that once one gets high end hardware from any company it's going to be pretty good. I'm leaning towards Yamaha and Mapex at the moment but what about Gibralter? Any recommendations?

Anything to look for - especially with hi hat and snare stands? I really want something that is very adjustable (so I can get it just the way I want it) and something that stays in place (nothing coming loose on the hi hat...)
Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hi Hat and Snare Stands...

pearl and tama should be up there, gibraltAr is very good, i dont know about gibralter;)

all of them have great quality, i find that with hardware, you truely get what you pay for

Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

Look at your set up and determine if your snare stand has 'room to breathe'. Some snare stands have a wide stance at their base that may interfere with some set ups and buyers don't find this out till its too late. A 'geared' tilter on your snare stand is also 'not' what you want if your looking for max flexibility. Do you really need double braced legs? Or is it something that seems, or just looks cool? Single braced in most cases way more practical, both in saving weight and space. Ditto with the Hi Hat. If your rocking a double pedal look for a rotating leg assembly type stand, ask yourself the same question about the need for double bracing.

Your right, most of the hi-end stuff is great, its flexability of placement where they differ most...so in this case, size matters.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Pioneer Member

My favorite Hi hat stand is the Tama Leverglide - HH95 - and my snare stand is an old Tama Titan SS95.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Yamaha is where I put most of my hardware money now. I have an older Yamaha single-braced hi-hat stand, similar to what is now the 740. It has the swivel feature to the legs. I like it better than the DW 5000 it replaced. Then I have a legless Tama hi-hat when I need more floorspace. Currently, I have 3 snare stands. A Remo, a Tama, and a Yamaha (newest). Can one snare stand "do it all"? No, not for me, anyhow. My Remo has an off-set drop basket that can accommodate my largest (14x10) snare. As well as my 2 other 14's. The Yamaha stand is for my 12" snare. Check out as much gear as you can. I had a Gibraltar legless hi-hat and their Intruder double-pedal, and I moved both of those on.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Snare Stand - Yamaha SS652 -- I have had no problems. It holds a 12" electric snare pad and does the job without ever coming to mind. Perfect.

HH Stand - Yamaha HS740 -- (With all respect to Harry, who is definitely more up on all things drumming than I, I offer the follwoing:) Came with my Ekit and I use it daily. It has a swivel feature, so legs get out out of the way, but the piece that connects the footboard to the rod has seemingly lost the battle of physics with my side to side foot motion, so the footboard has too much sway to it, probably from my counting 1-2-3-4 and moving left and right on the 2-4. It feels like it may break soon, who knows. In any event, it is annoying and I'm ready to replace it with a HD model of some sort.

DW hardware is bullet proof in my limited opinion. On the other hand, very heavy stuff to carry around. When I see people write that something is overkill, like the heavy duty DW products, I understand their point. But when the lighter stuff, like that Yamaha HS740, starts wobbling and losening up after a year, I see why many insist on the biggest and baddest gear they can throw down. Speaking of possible overkill ...

Snare Stand - HD DW 9300 -- Can find every position known to man. And, bullet proof.

High Hat Stand - DW 9500TB -- Have had no issues with it. Just stands by patiently waiting for someone to give it a real spin around the block. Thought I was giving it a run for the money with some newbie foot splashes connected to a poor rendition of a calypso, but it just laughed at me. Joey
Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

I have a two-legged DW 5000 hi-hat and a DW snare stand and love them both they been set-up & torn-down countless times and have never had any problems.

Bonzolead
Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Look at your set up and determine if your snare stand has 'room to breathe'. Some snare stands have a wide stance at their base that may interfere with some set ups and buyers don't find this out till its too late. A 'geared' tilter on your snare stand is also 'not' what you want if your looking for max flexibility. Do you really need double braced legs? Or is it something that seems, or just looks cool? Single braced in most cases way more practical, both in saving weight and space. Ditto with the Hi Hat. If your rocking a double pedal look for a rotating leg assembly type stand, ask yourself the same question about the need for double bracing.

Your right, most of the hi-end stuff is great, its flexability of placement where they differ most...so in this case, size matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Yamaha is where I put most of my hardware money now. I have an older Yamaha single-braced hi-hat stand, similar to what is now the 740. It has the swivel feature to the legs. I like it better than the DW 5000 it replaced. Then I have a legless Tama hi-hat when I need more floorspace. Currently, I have 3 snare stands. A Remo, a Tama, and a Yamaha (newest). Can one snare stand "do it all"? No, not for me, anyhow. My Remo has an off-set drop basket that can accommodate my largest (14x10) snare. As well as my 2 other 14's. The Yamaha stand is for my 12" snare. Check out as much gear as you can. .
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! It looks like Yamaha, DW have what I would need. What about opinions on Mapex hardware? Do they have anything comparable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I had a Gibraltar legless hi-hat and their Intruder double-pedal, and I moved both of those on.
Why didn't you like the hardware for gibraltar? I am considering a rack and was going to look at their snare and hi hat stands.