DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-12-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Electric drum kit question about pads...

Hello. Sorry for noob question, looked around a tad and couldn't find any answers to this Q so sorry if repost, but I was wondering..

How loud are the pads when you hit them? I don't mean when you've set it up and using them as triggers, just the natural sounds that is inevitable. I ask because I have got a couple of complaints from one neighbour (I think the guy who lives in the block, near the fire escape), and my mum doesn't mind, but only if I play a couple of hours on weekdays (which is not enough practice! :P )

I live on the bottom ground of a 5 story flat (my room is actually underground), my mums room is next to mine which has a fire escape leading to the building next to me, and i've heard even the natural pad sound (specially bass drum) is very loud

As this is one of my main priorities for getting an electric drum kit I was just wondering. I still wont be playing at radiculas times anyway, just during the day. I don't want to have to save up for room soundproofing because I think that'd be the last option :(, and HAVE TO play drums.

Looked around a bit, and am going to by the TD-6KW. (Non US version of TD-6SW I think)

Thank you.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Electric drum kit question about pads...

The mesh snare on that kit will be very quiet, I believe. As in, definitely a non-issue.

The rubber is a bit louder. Do you have a practice pad? It's similar to that. Obviously the volume will depend on how hard you hit the pads, but they really aren't very loud. Maybe comparable to hitting a paperback book or so.

I have an electric kit with rubber pads, and I can hear them when I'm in the next room, but if I have even one room in between me and the drums, it's almost silent. So if you can keep from putting them on an outside wall, that may help.

I really, really doubt you'll have any problem at all.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

I would think that you could hear the pads on my ekit throughout the house in the middle of the night, but my wife says she can't so it's all good. A mesh pad is a good idea. My Remo practice pad is actually louder than the Roland pads.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

I cant use my rolands after the kids/wife has gone to bed as they can hear them upstairs, shouldnt be a problem during the day; a tv or radio would drown out the residual noise from the pads, jc
Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM

Regarding the practice pad, I do, and have played one, for a while when I didn't have my kit and the sound didn't bother anybody.

Sounds rather good then, thanks for the replys!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 AM

the pads itself wether its rubber or mesh, wont make much sound. however, the cymbals will make a pretty big sound so watch out for that. you might want to get rolands new cymbals for a quieter sounds(CY15R, CY14 CY12)
Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

rubber pads = very loud (especially bass)......when im in the basement, i will wake people up with the bass
mesh heads = really quiet

Old 08-16-2007, 01:52 AM

FWIW - I've heard the volume level of rubber (Roland) pads to be about equivalent in noise to hitting a telephone book with a stick. Mesh heads (IMHO) are quieter. Roland rubber cymbals (edge hits) are less noisy than Roland rubber pads.

Steve