DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Opinions on OFF-SET brand double pedals.

Hi guys,,first time poster here who made a BIG impulse buy today..After a two year lay-off from playing I finally have my kit up...So I went to the local drum shop all happy, looking at the latest equipment and I spotted these..They feel ok but after a two year layoff ,I'm way rusty with my pedal feel....Does anybody play these ? Anybody like them? $360 ish with a free hi-hat stand from the manufacture...DEAL or NO-DEAL ???
Old 08-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Opinions on OFF-SET brand double pedals.

Do they look anything like this: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...4-3415_IMG.jpg Yeah, I'm guilty of owning a pair. Must have been 5-7 years ago at a NAMM show, I saw the Off-Set and the Sonor center pedal. And I figured out after 4 days at NAMM that the Off-Set was better "for me". Forward to just a few months ago, I scored mine on eBay for $252. The only other center pedal I know of is the Sleishman (check this site) http://home.hetnet.nl/~winnie-/galle...s/pedals1.html I've had no problems with the Off-Set, when I use a single pedal I use a Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive. When I use a double-pedal, it's the Off-Set. Great pedal, as far as I can tell. And a good conversation piece, also.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Those are the ones Harry. I think mine have an upgraded center beater mechanism. I was reading somewhere that owners of the older version can buy the upgrade for like 70-80 bucks. I can't wait for the hi-hat stand to get here. The shop did'nt even have pictures of the stand.. The salesman said it had to be the swivel type offset model so I'm hoping thats what they send me...This deal is for the first 100 models they sell....Rich
Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 PM

I own an Offset pedal- have used it for a few months now. It's a very heavy-duty piece of equipment- solid and sturdy. Maybe a little too heavy for my tastes...

It's been pretty tricky getting the feel dialed in, and I don't think it's ever going to feel quite as smooth and comfortable as my Axis setups, but it's a pretty cool pedal. Makes possible some kit configs that you couldn't setup otherwise.

I'm keeping the Offsets for my rehearsal kit, but it hasn't convinced me to switch from my Axis for recording or gigging.

oh, and considering the competitor's versions, I think if you want to try a 'middle' pedal, Offset is definitely a good deal!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 PM

XUSH...I just watched some videos on your myspace...You Rock dude..
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM

you are very kind, sir. I wish the clips were of better quality...

so how are you liking the pedal? It's different, no?
I chatted with the inventor at NAMM last winter, he was a really nice guy.
I used to see the pedals in the drum mag ads and never understood the point of having your bass in the center, but when I started pursuing the symmetrical setup, I had to try the Offset.
I think it can probably be dialed to your preference eventually- even several reviews mention that it can take a while. Changing beaters helped me a bit, the stock ones are really heavy!

hope you're liking your set.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

I've always been more of a fan of the heavier beater, so the stock Off-Set beaters I prefer over, say, the smaller paddle types. The Off-Set beaters are a lot like DW's. A nice round hard felt (stock Yamaha) or a half felt/half wood (Danmar) beater makes me very happy. I really like the Off-Set having springs on both sides of the drive shaft (pedal side and beater side). I think you can make the drive shaft feel weightless with a 2 spring system like that. That was 1 feature I liked about my old Gibraltar Intruder double-pedals that my DW 5000's didn't have. My 1 drummer bud thought the Off-Set felt a lot like his Iron Cobra's. Another, who plays double kick with Camco pedals, took to them with no problem at all. I certainly find it easy enough to transition from my Yamaha FDDD to the Off-Set.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. Harry, that makes me feel reasured on my impulse buy. If some of you pro / semi-pro drummers are comfortable with these pedals than a "cellar" drummer like me should be good to go. I just need to start practicing more..Thanks..Rich
Old 08-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

You may want to seriously consider the minimum spacing between the 'offset' pedal's foot boards, see if its comfortable. The big drawback with this type of design is the space between the boards, it may be too much.

Maybe our good friend 'harryconway' can post an accurate 'min space between' measurement as a blind reference.