DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 PM

Default My kit

Here it finally is i decided to put up some pics so you all can critize me! Tell me what you think of it! Im only 15 and i have to pay for all my drumming needs!! So im gonna play with my cracked cymbals.

Drum Specs
Brand: Percussion Plus
Finish: Wine Red
22" x 16" bass
12" x 10" tom
13" x 11" tom
16" x 16" floor tom
5-1/2" x 14" steel snare

Cymbals
2 16" ZBT Rock Crashes (1 is cracked)
2 18" ZBT Rock Crashes (1 is cracked)
14" ZBT ROCK HATS
1 ZBT ROCK Ride
1 AA-Metal-X splash 10"
1 18" WUHAN China (not pictured)

Hardware
Pearl P122TW Double Pedal
3 Pdp 700 Boom Cymbal Stand
1 Pdp 700 Straight Cymbal Stand
1 Percussion Plus Straight Cymbal Stand
1 Percussion Plus High Hat stand
Sticks
VATER 5BN
Vic Firth 5AN

Drum heads
REMO
Toms are 12, 13", and 16 Pinstripe
Snare is Powerstroke 3
Attached Images

Last edited by tooldrums1000; 06-02-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: My kit

Decent little kit. Throw the broken cymbals in the garbage. While it may look cool to have lots of cymbals, broken cymbals just make your kit look like garbage.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM

They both still sound great. I im very ubset that their both cracked because when they were new they sound so good.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaibigdrums View Post
Decent little kit. Throw the broken cymbals in the garbage. While it may look cool to have lots of cymbals, broken cymbals just make your kit look like garbage.
Send them to me!!! Soooooooooo sick of wobbly rubber pads that only work when they want to!! Nice kit bro, if the cymbals sound kool thn you keep hitting them til they fall apart!!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 AM

i like the setup...but replace those broken cymbals.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

I bet you 20 unreal dollars that you could take out a pillow or two in your bass drums tune it up and it will sound better.

I own the same double pedal. Bang for the buck right there.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Send them to me!!! Soooooooooo sick of wobbly rubber pads that only work when they want to!! Nice kit bro, if the cymbals sound kool thn you keep hitting them til they fall apart!!
Play them till they fall apart??? They aren't just cracked... Theres "chunks" missing! Otherwise, nice little kit.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Nice kit bro!!! Don't worry about playing on broken cymbals...Hell man if it makes noise, hit it!!! I've seen some strange things used to make noise (Glen Kotch for example)...If it sounds good to you, there's nothing wrong with hitting a cracked/broken cymbal...

Keep rocking man it looks like you're off to a nice start!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 AM

I have decided to put up somemore pics of my kit. I was bored one night so this is what i did. I got some good angles of my kit. I have seen many great pictures on drummerworld and have wondered how they have them look so good?!?! So i hope you like them. Please tell me what you think of my kit i also have a 18 in crash that needs to go up were should it go?!?! Im sorry for getting the camera strap in some pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by tooldrums1000; 07-19-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 AM

(****BUMP****)

Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 AM

Looks like a good setup. But, er....those cracked ZBT'S sound good???
Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

Hey man, I was wondering if the hi-hat stand is in the way of your left pedal, because it doesn't look comfy to me. Can't you turn the feet of your stand, so the pedal is completely free?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbuddy105133 View Post
Looks like a good setup. But, er....those cracked ZBT'S sound good???
Yes they still do sound good. My 18" sounds way better than the 16".
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Hey man, I was wondering if the hi-hat stand is in the way of your left pedal, because it doesn't look comfy to me. Can't you turn the feet of your stand, so the pedal is completely free?
No. Theres a screw that holds the legs to the stand. I was thinking about drilling another hole in the stand then move the hole in the legs to line up with them. Or i could buy a cheap hi hat stand.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
I bet you 20 unreal dollars that you could take out a pillow or two in your bass drums tune it up and it will sound better.

I own the same double pedal. Bang for the buck right there.
I don't want to tune my bass drum because I never have and I don't know how too and I like how my bass drum feels and sounds. But thanks anyway.

And Yes That pedal is a Bang for the buck.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Again, I'm not sure how you people around here crack cymbals, but if you're going to you might as well stay with the ZBTs as they are easy enough to replace. I'm worried about that sort of cramped look your set is getting. You keep adding stuff and it's all clustered, but it's yours to do what you want with it. About the bass drum, I found that by getting powerstroke heads on either side you get an exceptional sounding boomy bass AND if you put a felt strip (think craft store) behind the batter (like I did) you get the sound and control of having a pillow but without the pillow weighing everything down and overchoking the bass. This is important if you ever play outside or in bigger venues as stuffed basses don't project at all, except for the sound of the beater on the head. Muffled ones can project over football stadiums unmiked and yet blend in in clubs or restaurants (like mine). I would do something about those cracked cymbals, either get rid of them and by something nice or cut them down to size for effect cymbals.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Again, I'm not sure how you people around here crack cymbals, but if you're going to you might as well stay with the ZBTs as they are easy enough to replace. I'm worried about that sort of cramped look your set is getting. You keep adding stuff and it's all clustered, but it's yours to do what you want with it. About the bass drum, I found that by getting powerstroke heads on either side you get an exceptional sounding boomy bass AND if you put a felt strip (think craft store) behind the batter (like I did) you get the sound and control of having a pillow but without the pillow weighing everything down and overchoking the bass. This is important if you ever play outside or in bigger venues as stuffed basses don't project at all, except for the sound of the beater on the head. Muffled ones can project over football stadiums unmiked and yet blend in in clubs or restaurants (like mine). I would do something about those cracked cymbals, either get rid of them and by something nice or cut them down to size for effect cymbals.
I Have never tuned my bass drum and i like how it feels and sounds now. Maybe when I get home ill get some bass drum heads and mess around a little. I would like to resize my cracked zbts but im going to wait for the crack to get bigger, then when the crack is about 1.5" from the bell im going to resize it. Maybe ill hammer the bell and make a zil bell.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldrums1000 View Post
I don't want to tune my bass drum because I never have and I don't know how too.
I understand that you're only 15 years old, but part of playing drums is learning how your instrument works. Tuning is a pretty large part of that. Don't be afraid to experiment with tuning and padding. Heck, if ya don't like what ya did, you can put it back to where it was. A good sounding (tuned) kit will make what you play sound better and give you motivation to continue playing. Personaly, I'm not a fan of tons of padding and muffling especially for live work, but do what seems right for you.
Imagine if a guitar player said "tuning? I never have..."
Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 AM

My advice: "Don't ever throw anything away!" when I have a cymbal that is way cracked I like to cut it and essentially make it a smaller cymbal. Or just cut the bell out, then I have a bell.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 PM

I wouldn't throw the cymbals away. Playing in Metal....you break a lot of cymbals. I don't overly thrash on mine but it happens when you "ride" on them. What I normally do is keep the broken cymbals and practice on them, but for shows I normally just go with fewer cymbals for the whole look effect.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Pioneer Member

The part where you said, "I'll just wait for the crack to get bigger" scares me. The fact that you anticipate breaking something should cause some worry. I could see maybe if you tried hard enough breaking a splash or thin crash, but a Rock weight cymbal? As for tuning, I'm not that great at hearing pitches but tuning bass drums are pretty easy. You basically stick the head on there and tighten the lugs until they aren't loose anymore. Then you can play around later with tightening the batter or res. side for more sustain or pitch. As for cymbals save and get you some Sabian XS20s. Zildjian doesn't have anything close to these for people starting and on a budget.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 PM

Every time I play my drums and ride on the 18" crash the crack allways gets bigger. I keep on sanding the crack down. Its not like im trying to crack it i just know that the crack will continue to get bigger. I am pretty sure i will down size the cymbal maybe into a splash then hammer it like a zil bel.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Great starter set up. IF you play alot of metal, might I suggest the Zildjian ZXTs. ;-)
Old 07-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Hey guys I was wondering were is should put my china? I just got a boom arm and a clamp and i had my china on it were should i put it?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 AM

nice setup! i lvoe tool aswell haha <3

yeah i cracked one of my crashes, and left it, now it's completley gone. same with another 18'' i had, it's just been destroyed, hunks flew at my whilst playing, lucky my friend had some spare cymbals for me to borrow (i'm 17, broke, and $600 in dept. oh dear!)

woohoo keep playing!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Hey guys I was wondering were is should put my china? I just got a boom arm and a clamp and i had my china on it were should i put it?
how long is it going to last until it's cracked?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:09 AM

you'll be surprised at how nice a cracked cymbal can sound.. i dont have any though...
Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM

You have the same bass pedal as me, i converted it into two single pedals tho, for some COWBELL ACTION.

Setup is cool, a friend of mine has cracked ZBT's also, which leads me to the conclusion that they break. Easily.

Ho Hum.

x
Old 08-11-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I don't want to tune my bass drum because I never have and I don't know how too and I like how my bass drum feels and sounds. But thanks anyway.

And Yes That pedal is a Bang for the buck.

Nice updates on your kit so far...That china looks great!!! If you play harder rock/metal though you may want to consider turning it upside down...Striking it on that thin edge will break it in no time if you play really heavy...This of course is my personal opinion...Of course there's no real right or wrong way to have it set up...In my experience though, playing it upside down not only gives you a more fuller wash (which is perfect for metal), but the cymbal will last a lot longer as well...

As for your bass drum issues I feel your pain...Tuning can really give you a headache...If and when you have some downtime, give these videos a once over and see if these techniques might make things a bit easier for you...I know you like the way your bass sounds now, but you may like it even more once it's been tuned...I've found these videos to be really helpful for me, and I swear by these techniques now...

All of the videos can be found here: http://youtube.com/user/drum16lessons

Best of luck and keep those updates coming!!!

DAN
Old 08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockingfreakapotamus View Post
You have the same bass pedal as me, i converted it into two single pedals tho, for some COWBELL ACTION.

Setup is cool, a friend of mine has cracked ZBT's also, which leads me to the conclusion that they break. Easily.
mmmm...cowbell.

Also, maybe it isnt good to break starter cymbals, as it develops bad habits that will have you smashing good, expensive cymbals.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 PM

I know my kits pretty plain. Im tying to talk my parents to getting me these for me http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=446288 . Heres an update of my. I decided to make my own drum rack. Its made out of aluminum. What I did was measure the cymbal stand diamater and drilled out the same size holes in the aluminum piping. After I finished I put the clamp onto the stand and put my china on. I also cut up the hi hats that came with the set to a 10" splash then put that on the belt sander to give it a funky look. Anyway heres the pics.
Attached Images