DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Fiberskyns vs. G2 coated?

i'm replacing drumheads on my vintage Sonor beechwood kit. i've been using EC2 clears, but everyone tells me i should switch to coated, and it seems a reliable choice is G2s....so i'm going to give it a try but have also heard great things about Fiberskyns.

i'm playing rock in a duo of drum/keys and also a project w/ bass, guitar. i want something with obviously enough punch but doesn't have to be really bright, since i also prefer warmth and depth over brightness.

give Fiberskyns a go? if so, which ones?

stick with G2s?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Fiberskyns vs. G2 coated?

I use Fiberskyns on my toms and bass, coated Pinstripes on my snare. Fiberskyns kill excess ring and overtones and give my drums a rich, mellow sound - just like real hide. If that's what you're looking for, go for it. But if you're playing rock music, you might want a brighter, more cutting sound and Fiberskyns are the opposite of that.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Pioneer Member

I would say Fiberskyns. I find them to give a really natural sound, and have a pretty decent punch to em.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I would say Fiberskyns. I find them to give a really natural sound, and have a pretty decent punch to em.
yeah, someone recommended that i get the skins (can't remember the exact type now) made of real hide that were used on many vintage kits in the 50s/60s (i had no idea about this)...so i'm guessing Fiberskyns are the closest to it.

perhaps Fiberskyns on newer kits would not give as much punch, but on my older one it would be deep and a decent amount of punch??
Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Gold Member

DMC,
I've never heard of anyone using a coated Pinstripe on a snare? Isn't that a pretty dead head?

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Fiberksyns sound great, the complete opposite of modern coated heads really. I would buy them again, but after having issues with Remo heads not fitting just right, I'm not sure anymore. I'll be trying J1 Etched heads next. The Fiberskyn Ambassadors have the feel of in between a single and double ply head. They work fine on toms, bass but a bit too thick for snare heads. The Diplomat Fiberskyns are closer to a regular Ambasador weight and probably more versatile heads. If I could depend on Remo to be consistent these would be the heads I would buy.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
DMC,
I've never heard of anyone using a coated Pinstripe on a snare? Isn't that a pretty dead head?
It should deaden the head a lot and it does, but I still have to use those stick-on foam muffler dots. I wish there was something even more deadening than a pinstripe.

My snare is made from a solid ironwood log, unvented, and is extremely sensitive. The shell is about three times as dense as maple ply and would sink in water. There's no glue to absorb the sound, so everything you put into the drum, you get right back out. It's got more crack than a plumber's butt and a great sound, but controlling ring is essential. My whole set is made like this, so that's why I use Fiberskyns on the toms and bass.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
It should deaden the head a lot and it does, but I still have to use those stick-on foam muffler dots. I wish there was something even more deadening than a pinstripe.

My snare is made from a solid ironwood log, unvented, and is extremely sensitive. The shell is about three times as dense as maple ply and would sink in water. There's no glue to absorb the sound, so everything you put into the drum, you get right back out. It's got more crack than a plumber's butt and a great sound, but controlling ring is essential. My whole set is made like this, so that's why I use Fiberskyns on the toms and bass.
Thats funny, I was just thinking about your kit and the muffling, thanks for the explanation.

I bet a snare like that would be great for funk.....
*ringy*

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post

Try a Coated PS4
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

I have used them both and the Fiberskyns can not even be compared to any of the Evans heads I have tried. The Fiberskyn is in my opinion the most over looked and best overall head ever made. Its so dark its scary and it sings strong yet great with brushes and other sticks and they last years and years. Also give the new Remo Fiberskyn 3 a try. Remo is back in a big way!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Fiberskyn Ambassadors are great for toms, I must say. I think the Powerstroke Fiberskyns are a bit much for a 22" bass though and I'm not too big of a fan of the Ambassador on a snare batter. A Diplomat is probably fine though. I do like them, it's just a shame I've been having quality issues with Remo though. 4/12 heads I bought had something wrong with them. They didn't fit right. The others worked great and sounded much better than the Aquarian Texture Coated heads and G2 coated heads I've had before. Sure they look a little odd, but Fiberskyn heads are pretty nice. If you get good ones that is...