DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-21-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Matt Sorum

Hi,

Just joined and had a post about Matt Sorum and wondered what you guys though of him, personally I think he is great, solid drummer with solid technique, what are you guys and gals view of him?

Cheers
Garrie
Old 09-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: Matt Sorum

He was a total blast to watch when I saw him with GNR. He brought that band up a notch over Steve Adler IMO. He did a powerful groove solo during a live version of "Move to the city"

And I really admire his versatility, he played incredibly well on "Burning for Buddy"
Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Pioneer Member

His playing with The Cult inst too shabby either. The Cult is some of the better rock to have come out of the 80's and early nineties.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Love him so much.....when i was younger he was my favoutite drummer .
Nowadays he love him because his strong groove and his showmanship (u don't have to twirl sticks every moment ,just look cool and play also with your face)

I love "Use your illusions 1/2" dvds
He is just great

T
Old 09-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Pioneer Member

same for me. when I was younger my brother got me into listening to guns n' roses and matt sorum was actually the first drummer I knew by name. we have a video tape of them and there is a solo of him on it that made quite a big impression on me when I was younger. I also like his new work with velvet revolver but I still like to watch that guns n' roses tape every once in a while.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:00 AM

have any of you guys heard the burning for buddy volume one record?
he has a song on there that is fantastic. it's a big band peice of course with kind of funk feel too it. great work on his part in that song.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:27 PM

I saw Matt Sorum doing a clinic years ago in Connecticut. This was during the height of his playing with GNR. His drumming with GNR was a bit more "sophisticated" than Adler's but again, they are two different people. I was lucky enough to talk to him and ended up winning the 24" Zildjian ride cymbal he played that night. I had him autograph it...he signed it "Matt Sorum GNR '92". Cool! I kept it for several years and then ended up selling it on Ebay. (Sorry, but I'm a Paiste guy!)
Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 PM

My first post.

Fantastic drummer in my eyes, he really delivered an excellent solo at the Use Your Illusion 2 DVD. What impresses me most is his accuracy on the kit, he really delivers with precision. Some of the stuff on the Use Your Ilusions that he performs is great stuff, and he is miles miles miles better than Steven Adler was. Adler was a bash, bash, bash man, no imagination (listen to AFD, makes me cringe awful drumming), Sorum likes to mix it up.

I loved his Yamaha kit that he used on the UYI tours, that was massive!! One of the biggest kits I have ever seen a well known band drummer use.

I have a question, what cymbal did Sorum use to his far left on that DVD. It was mounted upside down and made a hell of a sound, anyone who has watched it will know what I mean. He also used it on the Use Your Ilusion albums on some songs, not sure about the Velvet Revolver one though. Any help on this would be great.

Cheers
Old 10-03-2005, 12:23 AM

Sorry about this the cymbal was actually on his far right not his left as I previously stated.

Anyone know what it was? Made a fantastic sound live!

Cheers
Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 PM

if its the one I'm thinking of it is/was a China, loverly sounding cymbals when used right :-)
Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNRFAN
My first post.

Fantastic drummer in my eyes, he really delivered an excellent solo at the Use Your Illusion 2 DVD. What impresses me most is his accuracy on the kit, he really delivers with precision. Some of the stuff on the Use Your Ilusions that he performs is great stuff, and he is miles miles miles better than Steven Adler was. Adler was a bash, bash, bash man, no imagination (listen to AFD, makes me cringe awful drumming), Sorum likes to mix it up

Cheers

each to there own i guess. AFD is an amazing rock album i think - and record sales prove it - the album stills sells by the bucket load every year...and IMHO i like the drumming on it. sure it's easy. real easy. but it fits the song. well. really well - yeah i know you could play it with one hand if needs be...but i still like it. Matt - yeah sure he's a 'better' player - but his drum sound isn't for me...no soul...and his drums lines always struck me as average - he didn't try anything orginal (IMO!!). but hey...

i guess it don't really matter - sorum is good. but i missed simple steve.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:47 PM
ClockworkOrange

He's a good guy. Easy to talk and laugh with. He's hired for his abilities to actually get the job done. The way he plays is the way he wants to play. That's fine, nothing wrong with it.
I think he wishes things had gone smoother in GNR, as did all of them, but, if you have one guy intent on being hard to get along with, you can only go with it so long. Good solid player.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate
each to there own i guess. AFD is an amazing rock album i think - and record sales prove it - the album stills sells by the bucket load every year...and IMHO i like the drumming on it. sure it's easy. real easy. but it fits the song. well. really well - yeah i know you could play it with one hand if needs be...but i still like it. Matt - yeah sure he's a 'better' player - but his drum sound isn't for me...no soul...and his drums lines always struck me as average - he didn't try anything orginal (IMO!!). but hey...

Unfortunately that is the opinion that most fans tend to have which is a shame, as Adler really wasn't good at all as I will state once again. At least he only drummed on one track on the Use Your Ilusion albums (Civil War), Sorum did the rest and you can tell!

Regards
Old 10-09-2005, 11:36 PM

Matt Sorum is a great drummer, dont get me wrong.
I personally like Steven Adler's drumming on AFD, it has a "bounce" to it.
When Sorum did UYI 1+2 it became polished groove rock, no life or imagination, just the same beats and fills over and over.
It's too bad Axel is such a dick, they could have been the Led Zep. of my generation.
Sorum was awesome in the Cult I will admit, great, thick groove and good top down drivin' in the summer music!
LATER
Old 10-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Sorum jnr

Matt Sorum is my fave drummer he great with gnr cult vr everyone and if yas wanna treat buy its five oclock somewhere by slashes snakepit and listen to the drums they are f***** unreal

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-13-2005 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Edited for inappropriate language
Old 10-15-2005, 07:17 AM
mapexdrummer1234

Definetly has a lot to offer in the druming community. I know about 8 people who took up drums because of Matt Sorum.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexdrummer1234
Definetly has a lot to offer in the druming community. I know about 8 people who took up drums because of Matt Sorum.
i did because of him and L*** Ulr***
Old 10-28-2005, 11:06 AM

Personally I think he rockss, but not in the GNR era. I think Steven was made to play in Gnr when Matt wasn't. But Matt's work in the Snakepit is awesome aswell as the work in VR.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 AM

Hey guys, what drumkit did he use? Was it a Yamaha 9000 Recording custom?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebbe
Hey guys, what drumkit did he use? Was it a Yamaha 9000 Recording custom?
Just found this out myself!

Live Kit

Drumkit:
  • Yamaha Rock Tour Custom with 18 x 24 power kick drum, a 14" rack tom, and 16" and 18" floor toms
  • a 12" Joe Montineri snare drum
  • 14" 2nd snare drum
  • Cow Bell
  • Kettle Drum
  • DW double pedal

Zildjian Cymbals:
  • 2x Hi hat (one on stand and one clamped)
  • 4x Crash
  • 1x Ride
  • 2x China
  • 1x Splash

Sticks:
  • Pro-Mark Maxxum 4195
  • Evans Ahead (during UYI tour)

Safely said that is one big kit!

GNRFAN

Last edited by GNRFAN; 01-17-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:10 PM

On use your illusion 2 album he used a maple Mapex drumkit, according to an interview in MD.
He's been endorsing DW drums for a while now with Cult and Velvet Revolver. In the pictures of Slash's snakepit cd he seems to be playing some Mapex kit in a studio.

My Yamaha Recording Customs
Old 01-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbe
On use your illusion 2 album he used a maple Mapex drumkit, according to an interview in MD.
That is wrong, Matt used Yamaha only while playing with Guns N Roses. Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 were not recorded as seperate albums. GNR recorded each song in no perticular order and then decided afterwards what to put on each album. I believe he used the Yamaha Recording Custom on UYI 1 & 2 and on "The Spaghetti Incident".

Quote:
He's been endorsing DW drums for a while now with Cult and Velvet Revolver.
This is true, he has turned to DW now.

GNRFAN
Old 01-17-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
That is wrong, Matt used Yamaha only while playing with Guns N Roses. Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 were not recorded as seperate albums. GNR recorded each song in no perticular order and then decided afterwards what to put on each album. I believe he used the Yamaha Recording Custom on UYI 1 & 2 and on "The Spaghetti Incident".

This is true, he has turned to DW now.

GNRFAN
I am pretty sure about this and yes, they were recorded simultaneously, same drums. I have to find that MD somewhere. It was probably on the "Ask A pro" section. If you have a better knowledge about the sessions including some pictures of Matt tracking the drums on RC's then it's perfectly fine and I was wrong. I just know many players who use different gear in studio from the brand they use "officially". I certainly would not use only one brand of snare drums in studio, no matter who would pay for them.

For example Chad Smith plays Pearl 'exclusively', but "Blood, sugar, sex, magic" album featured many different brand drumsets. Many odd vintage drums rented from the Drum Doctors etc. The result may not be very audible, but they make for a different vibe to the player. Even the great Lars Ulrich used Gretch (or was it Rogers?) drums on the "Black album".

Endorsements come more handy on the road and also the drum companies get more exposure through the live shows rather than the studio sessions.

As a complete Yamaha fan and player I too was disappointed to hear that Mapex story, but they are still great albums. I still hear some Yamaha tone in the drums of that album, though...

Old 01-18-2006, 12:22 AM

Yes what you are saying is totally true about what drummers use "officialy" live etc.

He used Sonor with The Cult in the late 1980s. You might just be able to see the Sonor logo on one of his rack toms below.

I'm pretty sure when he left The Cult he changed to Yamaha straightaway.

I agree with you about hearing the Yamaha tones in the drums of the albums, his drums sounded the same live when he played with the Yamaha Rock Tour Custom. Which leads me again to say he did use the Yamaha on the recordings, just my opinion though!

Regards
GNRFAN
Old 01-18-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Yes what you are saying is totally true about what drummers use "officialy" live etc.

He used Sonor with The Cult in the late 1980s. You might just be able to see the Sonor logo on one of his rack toms below.

I'm pretty sure when he left The Cult he changed to Yamaha straightaway.

I agree with you about hearing the Yamaha tones in the drums of the albums, his drums sounded the same live when he played with the Yamaha Rock Tour Custom. Which leads me again to say he did use the Yamaha on the recordings, just my opinion though!

Regards
GNRFAN
The kit in the picture looks like a RTC, the badge and the long lugs + cymbal tilters. Really cool custom? finish on it! That picture is from the GNR era, you can see a member of GNR in the background.

I think that it's not as important which drums you play after developing some touch on the instrument. Matt sounds like himself on every brand of a drum set.

I remember that Matt Sorum reunited with The Cult after quitting G'N'R. Did they release some albums also? I am interested in this band, even though I haven't heard them much. I just happened to hear the singer Ian Astbury on Tony Iommi's solo album "Iommi". I think Astbury has one of the greatest voices in the rock genre today. Drummer on that song "Flame on" is Matt Cameron, another favourite of mine.
So... which Cult albums should I get?

Last edited by Simbe; 01-18-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The kit in the picture looks like a RTC, the badge and the long lugs + cymbal tilters. Really cool custom? finish on it! That picture is from the GNR era, you can see a member of GNR in the background.
Yes sorry about that, your right. That is with GNR, you can see Dizzy Reed in the background. I failed to see him when I first looked at the photo! He used that perticular kit live in the very early days when he was with GNR (early 1991?).

Quote:
I think that it's not as important which drums you play after developing some touch on the instrument. Matt sounds like himself on every brand of a drum set.
That is so true.

Quote:
I remember that Matt Sorum reunited with The Cult after quitting G'N'R. Did they release some albums also?
He reunited with The Cult around 2000 I think. He made one album with them, "Beyond Good and Evil". Its a pretty good album so I've heard, I haven't listened to it though. That is the first Cult album Matt drummed on, he had only performed live with them in the 80s.

Quote:
So... which Cult albums should I get?
I would get the Greatest Hits collection from them titled "Pure Cult (Best Of The Cult)", I have it and its excellent. If you want a studio album I would also recommend "Sonic Temple", its their best album.

I might order the live dvd that they have out from 2001, its supposed to be very good. Another good chance to see Matt in action once again too!

Regards
GNRFAN
Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate

Agreed. I love Sorum's work with Velvet Revolver and the Cult but Steven's the drummer for G n R, in my opinion. There was a short time (from 1988-1991) when G n R were one of the coolest live bands going. Check out their 1988 gig at the Ritz clips on YouTube. Nobody today has that rawness and gleeful rebellion like they did then.

---LG
Old 05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
MOONCHILD

Default matt sorum

what do you think about matt's drumming in appetite for destruction? Too simple or genial simplicity?(for that type of music did he need maybe more rolls maybe faster rolls or so or just enough)
Old 05-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: G n' R drumming

i remember that he said he was told by axl to play those fills...you know the ones. matt is a great drummer but in this case he did what he was asked to do where he was asked and played to the songs needs everywhere else. the mark of a good rock drummer.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
MOONCHILD

was the cult his previous band im not sure but something like that am i right?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: matt sorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONCHILD
what do you think about matt's drumming in appetite for destruction? Too simple or genial simplicity?(for that type of music did he need maybe more rolls maybe faster rolls or so or just enough)
Matt Sorum did not play on Appetite, or Lies.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:14 PM

Matt Sorum only drummed on Use Your Illusion 1&2 and The Spaghetti Incident in the studio for Guns N' Roses.

If you listen to his playing on the Use Your Illusion albums it fits the music brilliantly, I do believe though that he created the drum parts himself NUTHA JASON (he said that on his forum).

I still feel he is one of the most under-rated drummers out there.

GNRFAN
Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 AM

Just kind of an informal poll. I had an opportunity to see Matt Sorum play both with Cult and Guns. I never had a chance to see Adler play with Guns live. I guess my question is who sounded better with Guns?
I personally think that Sorum is one hell of a drummer. I would love to see him play at a clinic.

Corey
Old 07-16-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsfalls
Just kind of an informal poll. I had an opportunity to see Matt Sorum play both with Cult and Guns. I never had a chance to see Adler play with Guns live. I guess my question is who sounded better with Guns?
I personally think that Sorum is one hell of a drummer. I would love to see him play at a clinic.
Sorum without a doubt sounded better, he brought a whole new element to Guns N' Roses which hadn't been explored before. Without him they would have kinda sucked, he had the edge and made them complete as a band. Would like to see him play at a Clinic also.

I prefer Adler though to what they have now, Brian "Brain" Mantia. I don't rate him at all.

GNRFAN
Old 02-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Matt sorum

What do people you think of Matt Sorum?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

He's a good archetype of what a rock drummer should be.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

I love Matt Sorum, love listening/watching him play, but I also like the Adler sound; both kept it simple [apparently under orders] and both contributed to one of the greatest kick*** bands ever!
Long may Matt continue.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 AM

Very tight sounding drummer always like his drumming technuiqe..... he looks very diffrent now to when he was in g'n'r i was readind a drum magazine the other day and seen him and it was a shock and the same with duff (g'n'r bass player) very diffrent......
Old 08-14-2007, 03:39 AM

Matt Sorum is a Class Act Musician. I like his style. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I see him sit in with Pink Floyd during the recent Live Earth concert?

I notice that Bernhard updated some of the Drummers photos. Matt Sorum was one that had some new shots. In fact I think he may be endorsing Ludwig. I know Ludwig has him listed on their web site, and one of the new updated photos in Drummerworld shows him with a Ludwig set up.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroneAmbition View Post
Matt Sorum is a Class Act Musician. I like his style. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I see him sit in with Pink Floyd during the recent Live Earth concert?

I notice that Bernhard updated some of the Drummers photos. Matt Sorum was one that had some new shots. In fact I think he may be endorsing Ludwig. I know Ludwig has him listed on their web site, and one of the new updated photos in Drummerworld shows him with a Ludwig set up.
Yeah, playing classic maples in 24, 13, 16, 18, and 14x6.5 Black Beauty I think. Apparently his favourite kits to record with are his vintage ludwigs and a pork pie kit he has, so he made the jump over the Ludwig.
And damn, are Ludwig making a comeback or what!