DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-24-2006, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Keith Moon

Agreed. It's hard for some to believe, but Moonie was the "IT" drummer in London in the 60's. The first three who albums are all the proof you need. Everybody wanted to be him, including bonham ("Good times Bad times"). Also you have to keep in mind that he was only 18-19 years old when those albums came out and was pretty damn tight at the time. Busy yes but not sloppy. I think moon could've had quite a career as a session drummer. He could emulate styles really well. Motown, slow blues (there's stuff on the My Generation album thet's eerily bonzoesque), surf, spector beats, etc... Give a listen to The Who Sell Out. There's some very subdued work on there (for Moonie). Especially Odorono. Sadly, drugs and booze ruined the man and that's a shame because he really could've blossomed and been even greater.

--LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Minadeo View Post
Some of you people on here don't know what you're talking about. Keith Moon is definitely a legendary drummer. He definitely belongs in Modern Drummer Magazine's "Drum Hall Of Fame". Keith Moon is influential as hell and was a very innovative drummer. I rank him second on my list for "Best Rock Drummer Of All Time". Bonham is first. It's true that he's overrated a bit, but so is Neil Peart. But Moon's timekeeping is underrated. I personally don't feel that his timekeeping was bad or a problem. On all of The Who's albums that I've listened to and all of the live performances I've seen or heard, Moon was always on time. He was a bit sloppy in his playing, but he was so unique and distinct. And I've read that he was always humble when people complimented him on his drumming. He would deny that he had chops. Another thing I've read is that Moon was at a Billy Cobham drum clinic once and Cobham let him play. Cobham commented to Moon something along the lines of: "I don't know what it is that you're doing, but keep on doing it." High praise indeed. Kenney Jones is underrated. Take care. Later.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefty View Post
There will never be antoher keith moon. He is probably the most unique drummer of the sixties. He was just a mad man and his personality really comes through his playing. I think it's pretty rad that some one can let them selves go that much while performing. Everyone needs to find the Who at "The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus." In my opinon that is the best rock performance of all time. They do, A Quick One, and it sounds about10 billion times better then the recorded version.
Signed, everybody should see this, sums up my view of The Who and how perfectly fit
Moon was for the band. I read some posts claiming that Moon was sloppy
and I believe that his lifestyle made him like that after the early 70's.
Besides, its Rock n' Roll it doesnt have too be on beat everytime!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Heck No!!! lol....Bonham at one point did have a double bass setup, but he hated it with a passion.

He learned to roll his right foot so good because he was listening to Vanilla Fudge one day and he heard Carmine Appice do a double stroke on the bass drum. So Bonham thought he would try it. It took him a little bit of time but he got it. He found out one day that the double stroke Carmine did was on a double bass set and Bonham only did it with one foot! After that he speed kept on growing and growing....

Quote:Really? I'm very interested in hearing your sources for that story.

Answer: I also read this in a magazine issu dedicated to zeppelin, they interviewed all of the members and Carmine Appice and they said it was true.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
I love Keith Moon. HE IS truly one of a kind. His style, enthusiasm, and character cannot be matched. And think of the bands back then. Did anybody even try and do stuff like him? I think not.
Moon rocks .
preach on. I totally agree with you!
Keith is a legend because he was more than just a drummer. He had that extra bit of magic which seperates him from the rest. If he walked in a room you'd know about, he's a legend like Marilyn Monroe and Elvis (although a HELL of alot better than in my opinion). Moonie is fasinating to watch and a pleasure to listen too! =)
An he died 10 years before i was even born...not fair

Last edited by TheGreatTyrantLuvsMoon; 04-20-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM

Keith Moon puts a smile on my face when i'm down and always entertains. I don't understand you people that say he was'nt a very good drummer. He was amazing, brilliant, fantastic, exciting and i'm all out of words but you know what i'm saying!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetulasan View Post
I have to post this pic :D
great picture was that picture taken just before he died?only one moonie everytime I think of a deceased musician I always wonder what kind of jam session is going on up there.one day i'll find out because nobody lives forever.

keep Swatting,
Bonzolead
Old 04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetulasan View Post
I have to post this pic :D

Its funny how he still has five cymbals (plus a gong) compared to all the drums
Old 04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...43411_0_BG.jpg

what do they say about immatation???????
Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Keith Moon that good???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerduncan2002 View Post
Would anyone care to enlighten me about Keith Moon? He is deemed a legend, yet I have never been impressed by his playing. I found his playing sloppy, especially in concert. I don't think he took his playing all that seriously. Maybe someone could help me out.

Keith Moon page on DrummerWorld
I started playing 32 years ago because of keith moon he was very serious
Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:

well how many cymbals do you actually need he was a drummer not a member of the salvation army!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Keith is one of my favorite drummers ever. Not always the most technical and sometimes a bit sloppy but hes the mostentertainng drummer ever. imo
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM

I gotta say The Who may not have been the greatest rock band of all time but they definately were the greatest live act of all time.

By the way, did he ever use a hi hat. I mean at the Isle of Wight there were no hats to be seen.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
I gotta say The Who may not have been the greatest rock band of all time but they definately were the greatest live act of all time.

By the way, did he ever use a hi hat. I mean at the Isle of Wight there were no hats to be seen.
He did at times yeah (although as you say not at (Isle Of Wight).....Who Are You is the most basic stuff he did with hats I think.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Mirrors View Post
All just an opinion .... but:

Keith Moon was rock and roll ... He did it all first.... and in the years when he was playing at his best... nothing anyone has done since has come close.

In rock - he was the first to bring the drums forward as more than just time keeping, in fact he brought them forward as more than just another instrument... at times he made them centre stage ... with or without antics...

When he was on it, he lost himself in his drumming... instinct overtook everything and his feelings/emotions spoke (or shouted) through the skins....

Sure he made faces, he did sometimes blow up his drum kit as a finale, or just smash it alongside Pete destroying the odd guitar or amp... He became famous for his off-stage antics, facts and rumours blended into myth and legend - and he became a celebrity. This stuff along with the energy, anger, newness and unapologetic arrogance of their music, succeeded in helping to get (and keep) The Who famous...

But these things divert attention from the fact that at his best, - he was the best there has ever been.

Watch the 'Live at the Isle of Wight DVD' ... listen to 'Who's Next' ... which are around the time I think he was drumming at his peak.

Accused of being "Sloppy?" ... Maybe.... but if so 'sloppy' in the same way that Hendrix didn't pluck every note bang on the beat, sloppy like Keith Richards is often an 8th or so behind with the dirty sounding Tele ... sloppy in the way Dylan's or Morrisey's poetry snd prose doesn't always meter exactly into the 4/4 of their songs... Any less of a genius because of it? .... NO ..... It's an integral part of the magic...

Moonie's explosive drumming was the powerhouse that drove The Who's music

(You can probably guess I'm a fan ... !) .... But once familiar with The Who's music, you hear how much their infuence flows through so many bands that have followed of almost any genre. I can't think of many - if any - rock drummers that have followed, who have none of Keith's influence in their playing. - After all - he did it first...

As a note, he also said he thought drum solo's pointless and boring.....

As for things like the 'goldfish' solo, - it was done in latter years when Keith's constant daily consumption of brandy, champagne and all kinds of illicit substances had reached such levels to leave him slow, slurry and unable to connect with his talent within. He may have been sitting on the drum stool, but he was so stoned that to all intents and purposes he wasn't really even there. Don't judge him on that performance, listen to and watch some of his earlier work.

The only drummer I have heard that can possibly equal Keith back in his heyday .... is Zak Starkey.

Any comments anyone?!!
I agree with you 150% .......except Zak Starkey is the closest one to be in The Who, but he still plays the traditional perfect snare beats which annoys me :)
In fact I just saw The Who Live in Boston (1982), Kenny Jones seems so sloppy and I was expecting him to do the rolls that Keith did during the songs especially "My Generation" and he just plays simply!!! Eminence Front drum playing is no Keith Moon Play!!!! Its just steady beats which anyone can play easily, I think.

For a brief moment it seemed that rock n roll would inherit the earth!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM

Another way he was unique; he followed the lead/rhythm guitar of Pete Townsend on most songs....he played along to the timing of the melody much more than any other drummer I've heard.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 AM

He was crazy but very good drummer.
I think he was one of the best rock drummer at the time when he was in the who.
He was the time of the band.

http://tinyurl.com/6hcale
Old 05-04-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter in the Dark View Post
I remember hearing songs like "Can't Explain" and "Happy Jack" when I was just starting to get into drums and just going NUTS! I would air drum Keith's parts even before I had a kit. You know a drummer's good when they make you have such a pronounced reaction.
I totally agree man even after 4 years of drumming keith moon is still and always will be my main influence and cant explain is my favourite song to air drum to
Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib View Post
The drummer on Emminence Front is 5,000 times better than Keith Moon's best day. (ok, slight hyperbole, but still, you all get my point I hope.)

A little restraint goes a long way. Yes, even in Rock 'n Roll.

dont be so stupid kenny jones was so wrong for the who it was like getting ringo starr to play for iron maiden no offence to ringo, kenny jones isn't even good enough to hold keith moons drum sticks never mind play in the same band that he was in
Old 05-05-2008, 01:55 AM
jay norem

I love this thread. I think Moon was a total one-off, and I don't see how anyone who loves drumming couldn't love him.
So I started googling around. Found this, which I think is pretty good:

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/moon.htm
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepjb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Heck No!!! lol....Bonham at one point did have a double bass setup, but he hated it with a passion.

He learned to roll his right foot so good because he was listening to Vanilla Fudge one day and he heard Carmine Appice do a double stroke on the bass drum. So Bonham thought he would try it. It took him a little bit of time but he got it. He found out one day that the double stroke Carmine did was on a double bass set and Bonham only did it with one foot! After that he speed kept on growing and growing....

Quote:Really? I'm very interested in hearing your sources for that story.

Answer: I also read this in a magazine issu dedicated to zeppelin, they interviewed all of the members and Carmine Appice and they said it was true.
As I recall, Bonham played with the two bass drums until the rest of the band removed the other one and hid it, because there was too much going on! JPJ said he had enough trouble keeping up with one bass drum, let alone two.

Keith Moon may not have been technically perfect, but he was one of the most expressive drummers in rock in the 70s. You can always hear it's him, too.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

I will start by agreeing that The Isle of White concert is amazing;
that any one playing Who music in a band will always try to mirror what Moon did or else it does not sound quite right, including Kenny Jones who is a great drummer in his own right;

The tightest I have heard him is on "Pure and Easy" from Odds and Sods and everything on Quadraphonia, and I mean tight;

He opens up acoustic tracks with double bass licks.

I could go on, I listen and love lots of drum playing, all sorts and I am defiantly not stuck in any sort of genre of music and I consider Moon was a very creative drummer and explosive, like a full classical orchestra. And another thing crossed my mind, has anyone listened to a group that was not that good and said “but the drummer was dynamite”; perhaps the answer for some of you is yes but my point is that the argument is redundant. The Who and Who music would not be what it is with out the playing style of Keith Moon plain and simple and vice versa.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I love Keith Moon. HE IS truly one of a kind. His style, enthusiasm, and character cannot be matched. And think of the bands back then. Did anybody even try and do stuff like him? I think not.
Moon rocks .
In fact that how I try to play. I am not into playing the snare/ base drum/ hit hat alone most of the time with occasional tom tom rolls. Thats boring to me.

For a brief moment it seemed that rock n roll would inherit the earth!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy McRudster View Post
I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.

You better was played by the drummer who replaced moon after his death, Kenny Jones i think...... but i agree with you, that song definatley lacked the youthful energy that moon drummed with.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 PM

I dont exactly like keith moon also i find he drums to wildly and insane for just a song its like listening to a drum solo with singing,guitar,bass some times keyboards but im wondering do you think that zac starkey is doing a good job with the who like do you think he is playing the role of keith moon well?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nirvana- View Post
I dont exactly like keith moon also i find he drums to wildly and insane for just a song its like listening to a drum solo with singing,guitar,bass some times keyboards but im wondering do you think that zac starkey is doing a good job with the who like do you think he is playing the role of keith moon well?

I think hes doing decent. No one could ever replace moon, but zac does a good job.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

I haven't read all the posts on this thread so maybe it's been mentioned, but I remember hearing a quote from John Entwistle regarding Keith's death. He said something like "Keith will be greatly missed as my friend, but not necessarily as a drummer". I can't find the quote, so maybe it's just hear say. Has anyone else heard that quote?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 AM
ihatesticktricks

what can you say, he is the most intense drummer of all time
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 AM
ihatesticktricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Hello Matt,

Michael here. You sound to me like a real Who fan. I'm a fan also, but to put Keith Moon 2nd Best rock drummer of all time, is a bit of a stretch. Not to say he wasn't a great rock drummer, 'cause he was, but you're leaving out alot of other drummers that I believe were more influentual then Moon. Such as Paice, Appice, Bruford, Palmer, Copeland, Baker, Mitchell, Porcaro, Peart, etc... I would definitely put Moon at or near the top of the list for "Most Unique Rock Drummer Of All Time". And to say that Neil Peart is overrated is as far from accurate as you can get. Nice story about the Billy Cobham clinic, though. Thanks. Play On!
yup yup about peart being overated, if the man was that great, he wouldnt need a double kick for what he can do. its all about the heel-toe, im a big user
Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 AM

In my opinion, Kieth Moon was an extraordinary drummer. What he lacked in precision and dynamics he made up for in his ability to drive every song with his energy and groove. No question, his playing is a lot busier than a lot of guys like, and I completely understand that. But what made Kieth Moon so great was his attitude behind the set. I mean, he essentially invented (along with Bonham) the rock drummer image: crazy, flailing all over the place, playing flashy fills and solos, flipping' his sticks around and, above all else, playing with such a signature style, feel and energy that no drummer will ever be able to recreate what he could do for The Who. To me, that is greatest in its own right.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM

I was never a huge fan of Moon's style, but The Who would never have been as near a legendary band without his style. Keith is, and certainly deserves to be, a drumming legend. I've seen some decent drummers do Who material and try to copy Keith's chops. Some have the parts down cold. But none can do what he did - because he was an original - a "one off". I remember playing the raw, unpredictable and insane "Can You See the Real Me" years ago and deciding this was one cat I wasn't even going to try to copy.

Last edited by HardJazz; 06-12-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-14-2008, 04:13 AM

I think Keith was a true non-comformist, he did every thing a drummer shouldn't do, and he did it well. =p
Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 AM

Lot of great comments and observations so far. the Loon is definetely one of my faves of all time. Not just for the crazy, intense playing, but for the whole confidence - go for it attitude. While I don't condone his crazy alcohol and drug habits I think he trancended just being a great rock drummer. How many other drummers out there have movies made about their lives? None come to my mind at the moment. (am I blanking out or are there really no othere drummer bio-pics? Not talking about documentaries.) Wasn't there a Gene Krupa movie years ago?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482630/
Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Rebel

Hello, fellows.

It's great when you manage your drums originally as Keith Moon did, of course everybody will give some lip. Enjoy the picture!

All the Best,
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 AM

I remember the Who during the late 60's. What impressed me as a young drummer was that he played the drums like an instrument in the song and not just to keep the beat. He was a wildman but it was wild times. While energetic he was pretty typical in his behavior, but he kept up much longer than most. hee,hee,hee. I always thought the energy he brought to a song just couldn't be recorded. It had to be felt. He kept that energy well beyond his youth.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Rebel

He was a non-conventional drummer.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon View Post
just go and watch Isle of Wight, it should shut most of you up = ) A lot of ppl have a problem with Keith because he was a little too eccentric when it came to playing. I have absolutely no idea how you could say that he wasnt into his drumming. I havent seen a sole that is more into drumming live, well, ever. Hes got some of the fastest chops around and some very original grooves. And he was also a showman, he could hit his snare drum with his stick, and it would fly into the air, then he'd catch, and go right back into playing. IMO Keith Moon is monster on the drumset, for god sakes his nickname was the octopus for the way that he'd fly around that set.

Amen. Watch the DVD. Listen to "Whos Next" from beginning to end.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Silver Member

Keith Moon was amazing.
My only problem was that he play so crazy, that often; there was little to no rythm in the song.
Drums are supposed to bring beats and rythmto a song.

Won't Get Fooled Again has an amazing solo though!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:06 AM

I just watched an old The Who concert (from 1970) on Palladia (used to be Music HighDef channel on cable TV) this week and I've got to say Keith Moon is either A> "genius" or B> "bozo" on the drums. He is quite a unique drummer (one of a kind) and I've always dug his drumming on The Who songs... but now that I've seen him perform I gotta wonder "what the heck is he doing"? Some very strange techniques, stick gripping, fills, heck I didn't even see a high-hat. Half the time I think he is playing out of time, but then jumps back "in time". He must be self taught... doubt he started with Haskell Harr Book 1. Regardless of how "unconventional" his technique is... he manages to make it work. I'll have to conclude Keith Moon is "amazing"...

Other's thoughts on Keith?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Yes, Moon was quite 'sloppy', I suppose.

But he was a fantastic showman who created his own unique sound on the drums.

Try listening to the Live At Leeds album, recorded before the booze really kicked in in the mid 70s.

The playing is massively undisciplned - but massively extciting and inspiring.

I remember miming along to it in my bedroom when I was a kid.

One of the first superstar rock drummers....
Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Check out Tommy Live , they play it a the Isle whyte Festival footage,or get the album.
I agree He Can be a bit hit or miss,his timing was notoriously sloppy in later years(due to drink and drugs) but the man is a genius, absolutely bloody mental, but a genius.
I must admit stealing a few of his fills in the past.
The Lack of Hi hat has always puzzled me aswell, but if it work it works, why follow the crowd.
some absolutely great stories about the man.

GENIUS!!!

Dirty Beats, Dirty Samples