DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-01-2007, 03:25 AM

Default New gear and set-up

I dont post here often, but i love the site and i love browsing the forums.

I got my superstar in december and it is a very nice kit, it sounds good and looks good. now my mission is to upgrade my cymbals. i started by getting an 18" sabian vault crash and I LOVE IT. beautiful beautiful beautiful is all i can say. Next im lookin for some 13" aax fast hats.

I just put g2 coateds as well on my toms and they sound great. i've had the g1 on my snare, it works and also a superkick II on my bass which is my favorite head. i have nothing in my bass to muffle it and it sounds great. deep thud but you still get some resonance, which i like.

anyways im just want you guys to check out my kit and leave me some feedback. it is my most prized posession and i wanna know what you guys think. thank you :]

Edit: didn't put specs
18x22 bass
5.5x14 snare
9x12 tom
16x16 tom

14"
16"
20" paiste pst 5 cymbals

18" sabian vault

the vault

cool pic

and my biggest influence, and probably my hero, derek grant. he is the greatest

Last edited by Bokarfian; 07-01-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:12 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: New gear and set-up

Sounds great, but do you have any pictures that aren't blurry? The second picture gave me a migrane.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Sounds great, but do you have any pictures that aren't blurry? The second picture gave me a migrane.
Yes, if you have money left over after getting that cymbal, buy a tripod for your camera. But the cymbal does look beautiful.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

Rob: Maybe if you bob your head really fast, it'll come into focus. ;)

Bokarfian: The kit looks great, but are those hi-hats almost shoulder height for you? They look ridiculously high, they should really only come up five or six inches above your elbow height when your arm is relaxed. If you keep them up high, it's going to break your sticks often, it's going to make it easier to dent/crack those hats, and plus it's not very ergonomic. Just a thought.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

this happens on my samsung camera (if thats what you happen to have) you have to turn on the flash, the only way to get a focused image without flash is with a tripod, but when you turn flash on, you can wave it around and still get a focused pic....weird, but give it a try, might work

Old 07-01-2007, 05:10 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post

Bokarfian: The kit looks great, but are those hi-hats almost shoulder height for you? They look ridiculously high, they should really only come up five or six inches above your elbow height when your arm is relaxed. If you keep them up high, it's going to break your sticks often, it's going to make it easier to dent/crack those hats, and plus it's not very ergonomic. Just a thought.
Wow it worked!

I agree on the hi-hats being shoulder height. I noticed that the picture of your favorite drummer is setup the exact same way. That's great to emulate your favorites in your setup, but make sure it's comfortable. It's better to do your own thing and be comfortable in order to perform to the best of your ability and be original, than to copy someone else who's setup or technique hurts you and then you still don't come close to sounding like them.

I see this type of setup alot and I'm pretty much convinced they're setting up like this for looks, not for comfort. They just learn to deal with it.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 PM

yeah my hi-hats aren't quite shoulder height, they're about halfway between my elbow and shoulder. I really like them there. i used to have em lower and i like them more where they are now. i play open-handed a lot too so its comfortable for that. and i hold my sticks so that when i hit my hat, its not like the stick is just hitting the side of the cymbal. my stick is usually kind of "sideways" but i always hit the hat on the top. kinda hard to explain, but yes it is comfortable and how i like it, im not just trying to copy derek grant. The picture might be deceiving, my crashes are only an inch or 2 above my shoulder.

and sorry for the camera, i dunno whats up =/ i hold it still but it always comes out blurry. i think it might of been cause the batt. was almost dead.

anyways thanks for the input.

heres another cool pic i forgot to upload, still pretty blurry though, /sigh

Last edited by Bokarfian; 07-01-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Hey, I'm with fourstringdrums

the pics are so blurry, they almost made me change "political affiliation"...but i'm sure the kit is beautiful none the less.

75sling
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post

Yes! Bobbing your head works! ha ha :P

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Well since you asked for feedback. I would lower the hats so as not to saw sticks in half even though you say playing open you hit them sideways, and i would put a little tilt or slant on those crashes, so that they last you a while. And to be honest I don't think your hero will mind some modification to your set. You can emulate him without being him.