DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Best drum room

hey

i'm going to build a room for my drums and soundproof it..

suggestions?

dimensions of the room, which is the best material to soundproof it, ways to do it....

anyone have any idea :S

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Best drum room

I've read a whole mess of articles on this in modern drummer I believe. I remember something like you have to build a room inside of a room to actually make it sound proof.

I can't wait until I purchase a house so I can do the same.

Good luck to you. Post some pics if you get it done!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_se View Post
hey

i'm going to build a room for my drums and soundproof it..

suggestions?

dimensions of the room, which is the best material to soundproof it, ways to do it....

anyone have any idea :S
Dont know about dimensions, but not too big, not too small, and lots of wood ( floors, wall panelling etc).. that will give you great drum sound.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Check out Todd Sucherman's : http://www.toddsucherman.com/drumroommain.htm

Good luck...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 PM

make sure that the room is massive and that all the walls are shed like material
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
Check out Todd Sucherman's : http://www.toddsucherman.com/drumroommain.htm

Good luck...
Thats awesome - so many drums....

Im thinking of maybe building a cool woodshed when I get a house.....

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM

I built one myself, read alot about it. The basic rule to sound proofing is: the more walls, the thicker the walls, and the tighter you build it (no gaps) the better. Egg carton foam, rugs on the walls, comforters, do nothing to soundproof a room, but they are useful for acoustic conditioning inside the room. I built mine in the corner of a basement so i really only had to build 2 walls and a ceiling. I used two sheets of plywood, on the inside and out side of the studs and one sheet of plywood above, then hung some 1/2 inch drywall on the inside of the walls and the ceiling. then i used regular foam padding cut into big squares on the inside on the drywall (you don't have to cover every square inch of the walls with foam or carpeting), hung an old comforter on the cinder block basement wall so that there was at least some material on each wall. also put in some inexpensive berber carpeting on the floor. it's pretty good for keeping the inside of the room from becoming deafening when you play.
I would highly recommend being very generous with the size of the room if you can afford the space, i wish i had bult mine just slightly larger as it's kind of a tight fit.
also remember when you shut yourself in a small room and are grooving away that it will get hot in the room, leave room for a fan also.
keep in mind it's almost impossible to completely soundproof a room, there will still be a substantial amount of noise outside the room, but if you build reasonably well you can cut the amount of sound leaving your room by 50-60%. (IIRC)
hope this helps - enjoy!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

When I worked drywalling a hotel before we used this soundproofing that was about 3/4" thick and it looked like pressed cardboard and came in 4'x8' sheets like drywall.we would screw those sheets on the studs before installing the drywall.it was a high price hotel on
mackinac island in michigan so i'm sure the materials were not cheap but when I do my studio i'm using the same materials.I forgot we also doubled the sheets of drywall also.when you get that done there are several types of acoustical tiles you can buy or you can just use the cardboard(crushed paper) not foam type of egg cartons as a cheap substitute.good luck & i'm looking forward to pic's. when you finish it.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzoolead
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Bonzolead, that soundproofing material that you're talking about ain't cheap at all. It can go for like $10 per sq ft and up.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Jones View Post
I built one myself, read alot about it. The basic rule to sound proofing is: the more walls, the thicker the walls, and the tighter you build it (no gaps) the better. Egg carton foam, rugs on the walls, comforters, do nothing to soundproof a room, but they are useful for acoustic conditioning inside the room. I built mine in the corner of a basement so i really only had to build 2 walls and a ceiling. I used two sheets of plywood, on the inside and out side of the studs and one sheet of plywood above, then hung some 1/2 inch drywall on the inside of the walls and the ceiling. then i used regular foam padding cut into big squares on the inside on the drywall (you don't have to cover every square inch of the walls with foam or carpeting), hung an old comforter on the cinder block basement wall so that there was at least some material on each wall. also put in some inexpensive berber carpeting on the floor. it's pretty good for keeping the inside of the room from becoming deafening when you play.
I would highly recommend being very generous with the size of the room if you can afford the space, i wish i had bult mine just slightly larger as it's kind of a tight fit.
also remember when you shut yourself in a small room and are grooving away that it will get hot in the room, leave room for a fan also.
keep in mind it's almost impossible to completely soundproof a room, there will still be a substantial amount of noise outside the room, but if you build reasonably well you can cut the amount of sound leaving your room by 50-60%. (IIRC)
hope this helps - enjoy!
Thanks for sharing your experience Marshmallow--I'm considering a project like this myself and what you did fits with the recommendations I've been reading.

Any chance you could post some pics of your finished product?

Thanks!

spleen
Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 PM

spleen

I have a thread on my kit, there are a few pics there but maybe i'll take more and post them

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28635
Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

Thanks--nice kit, BTW!

spleen
Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 PM

I am currently renovating my house and we are building a soundproof studio that is 12x18. We are using a product that is called Mass Loaded Vinyl and then two layers of 5/8" drywall on hangers that are insulated by rubber grommets. All walls are 2x6 on 24" center to allow for air space. The flooring will be cork over rubber to keep the sound from traveling through the concrete floor up into the walls. I will post pictures and let everyone know how well it works. This is not exactly cheap so I hope it works well.

J.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

As for size, will this just be for you, or will your band come over to practice? Do you have a big set and a lot of storage needs? I'd say 200 square feet, absolute minimum, if you want to have a hope of having a band practice, and you'll need lots of shelving to preserve floor space.

I would also get at least one ceiling fan installed. It will keep you very comfortable and is cheap to operate.

This is my former drum room. There's a lot of stuff in it, but it's well-organized with enough room for band practice. I just moved and have a room about the same size but in an L shape.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 AM

the thing i want is that i can practice drums without disturbing my neighbors and my family in my house...

but i want practice with my band too...

i want somthing cheap.... i don't know.... put carpets on the walls or something like that...

which is the cheapear mode to soundproof it?

your room has some soundproof?

Great room btw

Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

There are books on the subject. In fact Modern Drummer has one of late production/print. I'd google the subject or hit the library...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 AM

any name you can give me to search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Silver Member

Try 'Soundproofing' 202020