DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Default EVANS bass heads

I'm after a nice traditional bass drum sound, no modern clicky, plastic things. I use a felt beater as well. I'm still unfamilar with Evans bass drum heads and they seem to have many to choose from. Two things though, I don't want clear and I don't want black as my kit being a white-blue fade looks bad with it. I'm not in need of mic holes either. I had a clear EMAD once and disliked it greatly. It had a real sort of spongy boing feel and still rang a lot with a plastic sort of attack even with the felt beater.

SO, my limited EVANS research tells me I'm insterested in either a Coated EMAD with an EQ1 as a resonant OR just going G1 Coateds on both sides and using felt strips again. My bass size is 22x18, and it's a Mapex Pro-M kit, so it's moderately thin maple shell. Any one have experience with EVANS bass drum heads that doesn't want or have the modern sort of rock sound?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: EVANS bass heads

I have used the coated EQ4 before with good success. I'm after the same thing as you, so probably what I'm going to do is use a coated G2 batter with a Remo Fiberskyn reso, but of course I'm using an 18" bass so my results may be different with those heads.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I'm after a nice traditional bass drum sound, no modern clicky, plastic things. I use a felt beater as well. I'm still unfamilar with Evans bass drum heads and they seem to have many to choose from. Two things though, I don't want clear and I don't want black as my kit being a white-blue fade looks bad with it. I'm not in need of mic holes either. I had a clear EMAD once and disliked it greatly. It had a real sort of spongy boing feel and still rang a lot with a plastic sort of attack even with the felt beater.

SO, my limited EVANS research tells me I'm insterested in either a Coated EMAD with an EQ1 as a resonant OR just going G1 Coateds on both sides and using felt strips again. My bass size is 22x18, and it's a Mapex Pro-M kit, so it's moderately thin maple shell. Any one have experience with EVANS bass drum heads that doesn't want or have the modern sort of rock sound?
i think emadcoated might be the way to go. they're really nice heads with warm, but powerful attack.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:23 AM

I recently got a Pro M kit, and right now have an EQ3 batter on it, which I like a lot. I'm also trying to decide on a reso head, and want coated, for the look as much as anything, since it's a Black Chrome Pearl and I'm going for the traditional look (BTW, I removed the huge Mapex badges from the toms - nothing against the name and I love the drums, but the look is much cleaner). I have been using a single ply black with a mic port, and it sounds great, sp a G1 or maybe Ambassador with a port is what I am leaning to.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Gold Member

I'm using a Coated EMAD on some vintage drums I have, and I think it has that sound you're looking for. It may partly be the drums themselves, but I think it is a great head.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Bass drums heads. Ughh! I've tried the Super Kicks, EMADs, and a bunch of others. I was liking the 2 ply EMADs and Super Kicks until I started recording. The heads sounded too plasticky for my taste. Too much attack (slap) and no enough boom.

The plastic ring that holds the muffling ring onto the EMAD started coming apart so I played the head without muffling for a while and it sounded OK. Yesterday I mounted an Evans clear EQ3 on the batter side and left the EMAD reso on the front. It seems closer to the sound I'm looking for.

I want a deep, powerful, and loud sound with some resonance. I have two kick drums. A Ludwig classic maple and a DW. Both are 18 X 22 maple shells.

I tried the pillow thing too. Hated it. Completely killed the drum.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Evans EQ3 seems to be what you're looking after !
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Based on Evans page I'm liking the EQ1s. The EQ3 says its a 2ply head with a defined attack and two kinds of muffling rings which doesn't really sound like what I'm after. The EQ1 seems to a bit softer. I'm coming from Fiberskyn Powerstroke heads which while having the right amount of control are a bit too extreme on the warm part. They are about as far away from a plastic sound as you can get. While they are fun, I'm going to go back to somewhat of a modern sound. I'm considering either J1s or G1s on the toms,snare so I'll see how this Evans conversion goes...