DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Evans on Supraphonic Suggestion?

I'm looking for suggestions on what Evans head to use on a 5x14 Supraphonic. Right now I'm using a coated G1 and I'm not entirely sure if I'm happy with it. I'm looking for something that gives a nice clean rimshot, sensitivity, but still an open sound with minimal nasty overtones at the edge. I'm thinking of a Power Center Reverse Dot head as I read that it's sort of like a cross between an Ambassador and an Emperor but I'm not sure.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans on Supraphonic Suggestion?

I've used that head and liked it - I believe it will do what you want. cdrums21 is also using that head right now, and he's a stickler for sound.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

i like my genera dry because once you get to the edge, even just half an inch away, it still has great sound with no weird overtones, its a coated single ply so it has a really nice ping to it when tuned high, would match your snare great, but there are plenties out there, just my two sence on one of them

Old 08-05-2007, 04:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I've used that head and liked it - I believe it will do what you want. cdrums21 is also using that head right now, and he's a stickler for sound.
Wow, thanks IDDRUMMER! You're right, I am a stickler for sound and I do play a PC reverse dot right now. I like it and I've had no problems with it. I was reluctant to try it because I tried a coated reverse dot by Remo on my supra and I didn't care for it. The Evans PC reverse dot is different. It gives the openness of an ambassador to get that nice "pop', but it also has a reinforced center that adds durability and a tad more mids, kind've like an emperor. It's definitely worth a shot anyway, I think you'll like it.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:40 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
Wow, thanks IDDRUMMER! You're right, I am a stickler for sound and I do play a PC reverse dot right now. I like it and I've had no problems with it. I was reluctant to try it because I tried a coated reverse dot by Remo on my supra and I didn't care for it. The Evans PC reverse dot is different. It gives the openness of an ambassador to get that nice "pop', but it also has a reinforced center that adds durability and a tad more mids, kind've like an emperor. It's definitely worth a shot anyway, I think you'll like it.
Thanks, I'll check it out. What size Supra are you using and are you using a Hazy 300 reso?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. What size Supra are you using and are you using a Hazy 300 reso?
I have two supras, a 6 1/2 x 14 and a 5 x 14. They both sound great, but I use my 6 1/2 x 14 more because I like the extra "balls" that it gives me in the current musical situation I am playing in. I normally played a coated Emperor on top over a snare side ambassador, but after having alot of issues with Emperor heads (i.e. coating coming off instantly, dead sound, etc.) I switched to the Evans PC reverse dot. I still have the ambassador snare side head on there right now though, not a hazy 300. It's cranked up pretty tight. The top head is tuned up relatively high, about 1 full turn on each lug, then fine tuned from there. With the snares off it sounds like a timbale. I also have 42 strand snares on it. Don't get me wrong, the 5 x 14 sounds really good too, I just slightly prefer the 6 1/2 x 14.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:20 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I have two supras, a 6 1/2 x 14 and a 5 x 14. They both sound great, but I use my 6 1/2 x 14 more because I like the extra "balls" that it gives me in the current musical situation I am playing in. I normally played a coated Emperor on top over a snare side ambassador, but after having alot of issues with Emperor heads (i.e. coating coming off instantly, dead sound, etc.) I switched to the Evans PC reverse dot. I still have the ambassador snare side head on there right now though, not a hazy 300. It's cranked up pretty tight. The top head is tuned up relatively high, about 1 full turn on each lug, then fine tuned from there. With the snares off it sounds like a timbale. I also have 42 strand snares on it. Don't get me wrong, the 5 x 14 sounds really good too, I just slightly prefer the 6 1/2 x 14.
I've actually been thinking about 42 strand snare wires but I'm having a hard time finding places online that sell them.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Try here

http://cgi.ebay.com/Puresound-Metrix...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Thanks, I'll consider it. Very pricey though. They're selling them for retail. I just saw I can get some Gibraltar 42 Strand for $13 at a few places, I may do that. My problem with finding them was the keywords you have to search with.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'll consider it. Very pricey though. They're selling them for retail. I just saw I can get some Gibraltar 42 Strand for $13 at a few places, I may do that. My problem with finding them was the keywords you have to search with.
I'm not so sure I would put 42 strand snares on a 5 x 14 supra. They sound great on a 6 1/2 x 14, but I don't know about the 5 x 14. I never used them on a 5 x 14 myself and I've read that they are a bit of overkill on that size of a drum, but I guess you could try it to see if you like it. Just some food for thought from some things I've read over the years....
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm using a Pure Sound 30 strand wire on a 5 X 14 DW brass snare and it sounds really good. The wide wire limits the resonance coming from the snare side of the drum.

If I want the drum to ring a bit I use an Evans PC reverse dot. For drier sound I use a Genera Dry. That combo sounds nice for recording. The wide wire tamed the drum down quite a bit. For live I'd probably go back to a 20 strand wire.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I'm not so sure I would put 42 strand snares on a 5 x 14 supra. They sound great on a 6 1/2 x 14, but I don't know about the 5 x 14. I never used them on a 5 x 14 myself and I've read that they are a bit of overkill on that size of a drum, but I guess you could try it to see if you like it. Just some food for thought from some things I've read over the years....
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I wouldn't want it to be overkill. It's a nice sounding drum now, I'm just looking to get the most out of it that I can. Any other suggestions? I am upgrading the strainer. I ordered a Nickleworks Retrofit from Skitch that should be here some time this week.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I wouldn't want it to be overkill. It's a nice sounding drum now, I'm just looking to get the most out of it that I can. Any other suggestions? I am upgrading the strainer. I ordered a Nickleworks Retrofit from Skitch that should be here some time this week.
No more suggestions from this end. You seem to have a good grip on everything, all that's left to do is slap on a new head, get that sucker up and running and enjoy!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I'm using a Pure Sound 30 strand wire on a 5 X 14 DW brass snare and it sounds really good. The wide wire limits the resonance coming from the snare side of the drum.

If I want the drum to ring a bit I use an Evans PC reverse dot. For drier sound I use a Genera Dry. That combo sounds nice for recording. The wide wire tamed the drum down quite a bit. For live I'd probably go back to a 20 strand wire.
I use the Puresound 30's on my Supra 402 and it sounds awesome. I, like Fred, will use the PC reverse dot when a little more ring is required. I also like the Remo CS reverse dot.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-06-2007, 05:19 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I use the Puresound 30's on my Supra 402 and it sounds awesome. I, like Fred, will use the PC reverse dot when a little more ring is required. I also like the Remo CS reverse dot.
I was considering 30's, but do you have the 5x14 or the 6.5?