DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default which heads for 18 bass drum?

hello

which heads will be the best in your opinion for 18/14 Kumu birch bass drum with side hole re-rings? i'm looking for dry, warm sound and quite short sustain. i'm pretty sure i don't want any internal muffling. i want my bass drum to sound mainly in mid frequencies.

i'm thinking about both reso and batter heads. i've heard aquarian modern vintage heads are great for jazz, but is it possible to get short, dry tone with them?

cheers ;)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2007, 05:57 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Maybe try an Emad reso and batter combo?

That should give you that particular sound.
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Maybe try an Emad reso and batter combo?

That should give you that particular sound.
well, the sound should be still jazzy, so i don't think emad will suit. i'm using them now and i like them, but in rock. for jazz, they're a bit too heavy and too mufled.

ah, i forget to mention - it must still sound jazzy :p as i'm playing jazz.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

I use an Evans EQ4/EQ3 setup now that should be close to what you're looking for. Tuned high it has a nice jazzy tone to it. I do want to try an Evans coated G2 muffled with 2 felt strips, and a Remo Fiberskyn (no hole) muffled with one felt strip at some point as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

If it should suit in jazz music but you are also no real fan of a long open sound I would maybe try a Powerstroke 3 as batter, Remo Ambassador as reso. The Powerstroke is pre-muffled, that is an advantage if you don`t want any internal muffling. When I tuned my Powerstroke 3 medium-high aswell as the reso head it gave a nice tone, quite short but suitable for most Jazz styles.

Another option I really like (my favourite actually): Putting a Coated Ambassador on the batter side, an Ambassador on the reso side and then muffling with a cloth or felt strips. In my opinion normal coated Ambassadors on the bass drum are just wonderful, so versatile.

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.

Last edited by Drummer Karl; 08-04-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 PM
KCMcC's Avatar
KCMcC KCMcC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: RVA
Posts: 221
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

As Karl mentioned: I'd try coated heads both sides, either Remo Ambassador or Aquarian Modern Vintage (I am falling in love with the Modern Vintage on my snare and 12" tom, and bass Reso, lively but incredibly warm)

Empty inside, Coated Amb/ModVint Batter, Modern Vintage with pre-attached felt strip on the reso. Great looks and sound!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2007, 11:47 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

what about Aquarian Modern Vintage with felt strip on batter and Remo Fiberskyn Powerstroke (diplomat or ambassador) on reso?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
what about Aquarian Modern Vintage with felt strip on batter and Remo Fiberskyn Powerstroke (diplomat or ambassador) on reso?
Good idea! How about a Fyberskin Ambassador as reso which you canmuffle if you want to? That gives you more individuality than putting a pre-muffled powerstroke on it imo.

Mhhh...and a Diplomat seems a bit too thin to me.
just my 2 cents...

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:22 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

I run my 18x16 floor tom with a clear Powerstroke 3 batter and and clear Ambassador reso. Great sound, buy with some overtone to it. With my 20x14 Yamaha kick, I ran a clear Powerstroke 3 batter and an ebony Powerstroke 3 reso. Very nice punchy dynamic with very little overtone.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:30 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

yeah, i'm pretty silly - i want short sustain, but want to choose diplomats over heavier ones with shorter sustain.

Drummer Karl, the idea is great, but i don't know anything about muffling with felt strips. how is it done?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-05-2007, 03:53 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
Drummer Karl, the idea is great, but i don't know anything about muffling with felt strips. how is it done?
You just get a strip of felt that's about 3-4 inches wide, and about 4 inches longer than the diameter of your bass. Take off the head and drape it across the bearing edge of the drum. You can put it vertically, horizontally, at an angle, in any spot that you want (usually a few inches away from the bearing edge toward the center of the drum) and put the head back on. Pull the felt so it sits tight against the head, and tension the head as normal.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
You just get a strip of felt that's about 3-4 inches wide, and about 4 inches longer than the diameter of your bass. Take off the head and drape it across the bearing edge of the drum. You can put it vertically, horizontally, at an angle, in any spot that you want (usually a few inches away from the bearing edge toward the center of the drum) and put the head back on. Pull the felt so it sits tight against the head, and tension the head as normal.
thanks :) i think Slug felts look quite nice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2007, 04:14 PM
TheSteve's Avatar
TheSteve TheSteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 331
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

The coated ambassador would give the best "jazz" sound you're looking for. As far as Evans goes, although they are my favorite brand and I use them on every other drum on my kit, they have a muffle system on all their bass drum heads that will prevent you from getting that traditional sound. Look into the Aquarian Super Kick II but be prepared to remove the inner muffle ring. I did that to my head and it really gives that traditional sound. Also, the Vintage Aquarian head is great but again, has a really bad muffle set up. If you want to go with that head you'd also have to remove the muffle which is a vertical strip. Best of luck.
__________________
"If you gotta ask,man, you'll never know."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-05-2007, 05:51 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
The coated ambassador would give the best "jazz" sound you're looking for. As far as Evans goes, although they are my favorite brand and I use them on every other drum on my kit, they have a muffle system on all their bass drum heads that will prevent you from getting that traditional sound. Look into the Aquarian Super Kick II but be prepared to remove the inner muffle ring. I did that to my head and it really gives that traditional sound. Also, the Vintage Aquarian head is great but again, has a really bad muffle set up. If you want to go with that head you'd also have to remove the muffle which is a vertical strip. Best of luck.
talking about Aquarian, won't it be easier to just use unmuffled head? it is possible to get it in 18 inch size.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
talking about Aquarian, won't it be easier to just use unmuffled head? it is possible to get it in 18 inch size.
Yes, don't bother getting a muffled head and then ripping out the muffling...that doesn't make any sense. You would likely waste your money because unmuffled heads are generally cheaper, and you may destroy the head in the process. The same goes for buying a Modern Vintage and ripping the felt strip off of it, you'll most likely destroy it. You'll probably want that muffling anyway. For the tone you're describing, a head with a felt strip would make more sense, which is what the Modern Vintage has.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Yes, don't bother getting a muffled head and then ripping out the muffling...that doesn't make any sense. You would likely waste your money because unmuffled heads are generally cheaper, and you may destroy the head in the process. The same goes for buying a Modern Vintage and ripping the felt strip off of it, you'll most likely destroy it. You'll probably want that muffling anyway. For the tone you're describing, a head with a felt strip would make more sense, which is what the Modern Vintage has.
you think it's better to buy unmuffled modern vintage and add feltr strip or buy modern vintage with felt strip installed?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
hello

which heads will be the best in your opinion for 18/14 Kumu birch bass drum with side hole re-rings? i'm looking for dry, warm sound and quite short sustain. i'm pretty sure i don't want any internal muffling. i want my bass drum to sound mainly in mid frequencies.

i'm thinking about both reso and batter heads. i've heard aquarian modern vintage heads are great for jazz, but is it possible to get short, dry tone with them?

cheers ;)

Are you playing predominantly Jazz?

Best regards

Mike


www.mikemccraw.com
www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: which heads for 18 bass drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Are you playing predominantly Jazz?
definitely yes :) almost only jazz lately, jungle or some drum'n'bass sometimes (at least trying).
__________________
...but the bell from the ice cream man comes to save the day.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com