DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Silver Member

Default Ipods

i wanted an ipod for as long as i can remeber.. finally christmas of 04 i finally got one( i squaled like a little girl) as time went on this winter it bit the dust. i sent it to get fixed off some guy from ebay.(it was out of warranty..) came back working better than ever.. turns out my beloved ipod was a ticking time bomb.. may of 07 it finnaly hit the dust for good. (the heads in the HDD dove into the platters) and i was really sad.. i was wondering if anybody else has anything to say about that.. buying an ipod. a decent mp3 player? or a name? i bet you all steve jobs is reading this and laughing his arse off

-Dom
Old 08-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Ipods

I have an 5th generation iPod Video, 30GB and have had it for over a year. So far, knock on wood, no problems, but I have to admit I baby all of my belongings. Its been in a leather case since I got it, has never been dropped, or mistreated. I did not but probably should have gotten an extended warranty, although most sources say they are a waste of money,
In your case it would have helped since its not three years old yet. Knowing what I have read and seen of Steve Jobs I doubt that he would laugh at your demise. I'm sure he would like to keep you as a customer.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:25 PM

I got a Creative Zen Vison:M 30GB cause it is much better than the i pod, there is just too much hype arround the i pod.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:25 PM
nhzoso

I have had a Sandisk MP3 player for 2 years now, not sure how many geekabites it is but I have over 100 songs on it and still add more every few weeks. I work out with it, ride my motorcycle, have dropped it a few times and it still works every time I turn it on.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 30GB, the first gen that came with the video playback capabilities. I don't use it for that though, just music. I have somewhere around 100GB of music on my computer, so I just pick a heap of stuff that I feel like I might want to listen to and load that on. No problems yet (knock on wood). It's been dropped countless times, never carried in a case, the back has a couple of dints and it still works as well as the day I got it.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

I had a Rio mp3 player many years ago. It was one of the first mp3 players. It hardly had any memory on it... I could fit maybe a dozen songs at a low bitrate and it was bulky. Now I just use my Walkman phone. Two birds with one stone. :)

My neighbor found a real nice iPod when he was in Cali recently. It's like 80Gb or something, and can play videos. I'd hate to carry something that nice around with me... afraid to lose it like the previous owner did.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

I simply have a Ipod Shuffle (1 gig) for over a year now. It has treated me well. I really don't see the need to upgrade to one that you can watch movies on... yet.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

I have had a 30GB Ipod for about a year and a half and so far so good but two of my friends in the last 2 months have had their Ipod bite the dust. Devistating really. I am sorry to hear about yours.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM

I've had 2 ipods, my friends have ipods, and they simply don't work well. You would be better off buying an mp3 or handheld computer type player.

BTW they make the ipod only to last about 18 months, the battery dies, and it not easy to replace(voids warrenty). I was told this by a mac tech at an ipod store.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

its ironic because i know so much about ipods and such everyone asks me to fix peoples ipods and i can.. like right now im working on a third generation 10 gb for my dads customer. hahaha i guess thats what you get for listening to it constantly.. i didnt treat it bad.. i actually took good care of it. i guess hard drives arent the best way to go.. i picked up a mymusix 1gb mp3 player with an fm tuner a few weeks after my ipod did.. hold about 211 songs.. id like more but im happy with it.. holds all the music i listen to the most as oppose to my max at 1220 songs on my old ipod.. its so stupid even the zen micro-photo lets you remove the battery.. come on apple.. now your just torturing us
Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
I've had 2 ipods, my friends have ipods, and they simply don't work well. You would be better off buying an mp3 or handheld computer type player.

BTW they make the ipod only to last about 18 months, the battery dies, and it not easy to replace(voids warrenty). I was told this by a mac tech at an ipod store.
Batteries are replaceable by regular human beings, and if they are only designed to last 18 months, then they are designed to outlast the warranty which is 12 months. So replacing them wouldn't void the warranty. I read the Apple forums all the time and can tell you the battery replacement is no big deal.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Oh I thought the warrenty was longer than a year..
Anyway if anyone is wondering my ipod didnt die cus of its battery, the headphone jack fell apart. I need to geta new one off ebay and put it in..
pretty unreliable
Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

I have owned the 30GB 5th gen (video) iPod for about a year and a half. Only got a case earlier this year, which I should have done earlier, I've dropped it a bunch of times and it has a small dent in the back but it still works. I have had a handful of problems too. Battery was not working for a while but was fixed (thanks to the warranty, my dad says he always gets an extended warranty and that it's always the kiss of death, making everything with a warranty break), and I still have this weird problem where random albums have their volume adjusted by %100 (so they're twice as loud) which is really annoying when you're drumming along to it on shuffle and your ears get blasted all of a sudden. I adjusted their volume back to normal in the song info but I still don't know what caused it in the first place.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo49 View Post
I got a Creative Zen Vison:M 30GB cause it is much better than the i pod, there is just too much hype arround the i pod.
I agree. Same price, same amount of memory, but it has so much more stuff. I wish it had an FM radio like the Zen Micro though.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

I have had one for about 2 or 3 years and its still in good shape. It's an ipod mini blue btw.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
I have had one for about 2 or 3 years and its still in good shape. It's an ipod mini blue btw.
haha i finally hate ipods now
Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 AM

I've had my 30 gb for about a year and a half and I haven't had a single problem with it, knock on wood.

I use it in my truck more than anything though, so it hasn't had a chance to get much physical wear.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

I can't live without mine. I love iTunes too. Got my list of podcasts all sorted so they download automatically and all that stuff. Perfect!
Old 08-06-2007, 04:26 AM

thats where i keep all my classic rock! also i keep alot of my bands stuff on there, i think i have like a gig worth LOL
Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockfan32 View Post
thats where i keep all my classic rock! also i keep alot of my bands stuff on there, i think i have like a gig worth LOL
hardy har har... haha what bands do you like my man?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 AM

man i like ACDC and yes, and led zeplin! but my favorite band has to be acdc!!
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
man i like ACDC and yes, and led zeplin! but my favorite band has to be acdc!!
what about hendrix?

20 20 20
Old 08-06-2007, 04:54 AM

hendrix is good, but not as good as angus yung lol
Old 08-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
hendrix is good, but not as good as angus yung lol
but his quality of music?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:06 AM

i like him alot! im not sure what you mean
Old 08-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
but his quality of music?
I think he was comparing their guitar playing skills.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I think he was comparing their guitar playing skills.

i know he was

20 20 20 20 20
Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 AM

lol

Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

I've got a 20gb fourth generation (black and white) that is just under a year and a half old but seems to be in its death throes. It will occasionally freeze up and refuse to give me anything but the error icon. I've followed all Apple's steps to no avail, but did disover the one thing that seems to consistently (knock on wood) bring it back to life - opening it up. That's all - don't have to tap the hard drive (some people have that problem - stuck platter) or anything, just open it up and it works again. I just don't want to have to buy a new one.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
I've got a 20gb fourth generation (black and white) that is just under a year and a half old but seems to be in its death throes. It will occasionally freeze up and refuse to give me anything but the error icon. I've followed all Apple's steps to no avail, but did disover the one thing that seems to consistently (knock on wood) bring it back to life - opening it up. That's all - don't have to tap the hard drive (some people have that problem - stuck platter) or anything, just open it up and it works again. I just don't want to have to buy a new one.
i had the same ipod..
Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
Oh I thought the warrenty was longer than a year..
Anyway if anyone is wondering my ipod didnt die cus of its battery, the headphone jack fell apart. I need to geta new one off ebay and put it in..
pretty unreliable
just done that myself, works like a charm now.

it took me about a week trying to get the screws back in.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM

wow, i have a fifth gen ipod, 30gb, and honestly(and probably sadly) couldn't live without it, i bought a fifty dollar case for it and even made a mount so it can clip onto my drumrack, i've never had a problem with it and i have 3047 songs on it and add more every week....sorry to hear about yours though, i don't know what i'd do with out mine
Old 08-10-2007, 06:27 AM

I have a first or second gen 15G, first ones that were released in australia, black and white with four buttons that were not on the scroll wheel. I replaced the battery after about a year, did it myself. Still works now, good considering it is a good 4+ years old.

I gave that one away to a relative, now i used a 40G Iriver. Fantastic thing that, even if it wei9ghs a ton and looks like a brick. I record live gigs straight to 320mbps mp3 (i would have preferred .wav, but beggars cant be choosers) from the mixer, and with firmware upgrades it has now become video compatible.

I cant say enough good things about iriver, their firmware upgrades and the options available are fantastic, as well as being able to replace their batteries with other companies.

Apple ipods can be summed up in one design factor: factored obsolescence. Meant to malfunction after the warranty period. Easy way to make revenue as well as promoting rising technology.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 PM

I read in a Computer Music magazine. (All about music for computers, software etc. Its a pretty good magazine) That for Ipod Videos. You can get these sort of glasses, that you plug into the Ipod socket...

And it acts as a Widescreen TV. Seriously, its meant to be the size of a Widescreen. And its proper good quality. So instead of watching it on little screens with the sun bloody blurring into it. Plug them in, and BOOM!

Bad thing is they cost 230.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

guess whos got a brand new BROKEN! ipod?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

oh and speaking of which. can anyone help me? i dont think the hard drive is bad on the ipod i just inherited so i think its either the logic board or the buttons themselves.. can someone reply or pm me with some help?

Thanks,

Dom