DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 PM

Default new skins

alright, I can't stand the stock heads on my kit much longer, and that, paired with my terrible tuning has led me to think about new heads and a drumdial, or a similar device.
My kit is a Mapex Pro M standard, and I have heard that remo coated ambassadors sound good on them. I am looking for a more versatile, open sound. Yes i have read about the ongoing debate between remo and evans coating, and remos uneven plies, or something. I am kind of lost when it comes to drumheads, and need a few ideas. thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: new skins

From personal experience I'd recommend you try Evans G2 or EC1 on the batter side of your toms... sounds great on mine and Evans seems really reliable.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Pioneer Member

I have a Pro-M Studio and I would recommend Coated Ambassadors or G1 Coated. Fiberskyn Ambassadors sound great as well. I have g2 coated heads but didn't like them on there at all and the same was true with Aquarian Texture Coated heads. Single ply heads sound great on them and give them a nice feel. The nice thing about Pro-M kits is they sound nice naturally so get a head that will let them do that.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Gold Member

Before you do anything, check out the Drum Tuning Bible through the link in my sig. That will help, and will give you ideas as to what kind of heads you want. Also, on the Evans Drumheads site, they have cool charts that show how their drumehads compare to one another, and through a little research you can find out which heads from other brands compare and where they sit on that chart.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
Before you do anything, check out the Drum Tuning Bible through the link in my sig. That will help, and will give you ideas as to what kind of heads you want. Also, on the Evans Drumheads site, they have cool charts that show how their drumehads compare to one another, and through a little research you can find out which heads from other brands compare and where they sit on that chart.
Excellent Advice!!!

BTW No head will compensate for not knowing how to properly tune and a drum dial will get you close but if you're willing to spend the time you can do it without one.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 PM

I recently bought a Pro M standard kit - and just replaced the stock heads on the toms with Aquarian Texture Coated - that's their single ply coated head. Played my first gig with 'em last weekend and really liked the improvement in sound. I set up early in the bar where we were going to play, and took some time tuning the toms. Floor toms have always been the hardest for me to tune, BTW, and it took a while, but I got a sound that I, and my bandmates, really liked (after trying a few different tunings, I used some moongels right on the edges to slightly cut the ring, but probably won't do that in a larger room). I was experimenting with different rhythms on the toms all night just to see how they sounded.

So ... single ply coated was great!!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
KARL MEMBER

Like somedrummer said: Check out the drum tuning bible and learn more about tuning. The nicest heads won`t give you a good sound if they aren`t well tuned.
The tuning bible is really nice for learning the basics, to learn more about drums, heads...methods to get different sounds.
I wouldn`t recommend buying a drum dial or something like this, not for now...in my opinion it is much better to learn tuning by ear first...you know, train the ear.

As for the heads: What music styles do you do mainly? For me, remo`s coated ambassador are my favourite. They produce such a wonderful, warm and open sound. Still they have enough power and punch for some Rock music.
I also really like their coated emperors...though I`m a bit sceptical about em since I know the quality problems they seem to have. Maybe try the Evans or Aquarian equivalent.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM

thanks guys, I read most of the drum tuning bible, and it helped a lot. I'm itching to get back on my kit and try out that technique.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

I have a M Birch fusion kit and put coated G2s on the batters and coated G1s on the resonants. I love the sound and love the look, too! However, I just play in my house so I cannot advise one way or another about a live gig. As a novice/hobby drummer, the tuning bible is an indespensable resource; it sits next to my drum key and FAN. Mapex is such a great bang for the buck, as I'm sure you know.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I really liked Bob Gatzen's video on tuning. Aside from that, a good drum teacher will show you the basics and the rest is picked up by practicing. I re-tune my kit about once a month, whether it desperately needs it or not. I've gotten to where I can tune my 6pc in about an hour and be happy w/ it.

So...just do a little research and practice tuning!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM

i just retuned all my toms using the drum bible strategy, and the drums individually sound alot better, but I cant get the intervals right. my floor sounds killer, but my rack toms intervals are all weird. Im thinking of getting a dvd or something, like zambizzi said, but my teacher covered only covered tuning very briefly, and just on snare drum. help?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

i have white coated ATTACK single ply heads on the snare and all of the toms of my Pro M kit. it's the first time that i've used single ply heads in years and they sound great on the Pro M's. plus the coating on them is quite durable for sure!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals