DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Acoustic or Electric? If electric which would you recommend - yamaha or roland?

I soon going to start playing drums and I'm not sure whether to get acoustic drums or electric ones. I can't play loudly because of the neighbours so what would you recommend? I can always use mutes on acoustic but i dont know how good they sound. If you recommend electric which do you think is better yamaha or roland?

Last edited by MuffinMan; 07-20-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: didn't mention i could use mutes on acoustic
Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Acoustic or Electric? If electric which would you recommend - yamaha or roland?

Roland, Better value and quality for money!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Acoustic or Electric? If electric which would you recommend - yamaha or roland?

definitive roland if you want electric drums.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 PM

If you can't play loudly then your obvious choice would be an electric kit, and then you should definately get a Roland.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 AM

I wanted a roland until i did some research and tried a few and this is what i found out on my travels. Of course all a matter of my opinion and the shops i spoke to. One of the guys who was telling me all this though is chad smiths/jimmy chamberlins uk and europe drum tech so i respect his views on it.

yamaha's are cheaper, they are made by a company that makes acoustic drums so the sounds are truer.
The mesh heads on the rolands are cool and good fun but are really not so much better than the pads that yamaha use and drive the kit price up.
There are more parts inside the mesh heads as well and i have heard people complaining they are constantly tightening nuts and bolts to keep it all together.
The yamaha drum brain makes programming single drum pads and cymbals to make specific sounds easier than the rolands.

I feel that yamaha has the edge in sound quality and definitely in price. Seem to be less hassle to maintain and have a more intuitive drum brain.

Hope this helps

my band - http://www.myspace.com/thelastdisco
Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetley View Post
I wanted a roland until i did some research and tried a few and this is what i found out on my travels. Of course all a matter of my opinion and the shops i spoke to. One of the guys who was telling me all this though is chad smiths/jimmy chamberlins uk and europe drum tech so i respect his views on it.

yamaha's are cheaper, they are made by a company that makes acoustic drums so the sounds are truer.
The mesh heads on the rolands are cool and good fun but are really not so much better than the pads that yamaha use and drive the kit price up.
There are more parts inside the mesh heads as well and i have heard people complaining they are constantly tightening nuts and bolts to keep it all together.
The yamaha drum brain makes programming single drum pads and cymbals to make specific sounds easier than the rolands.

I feel that yamaha has the edge in sound quality and definitely in price. Seem to be less hassle to maintain and have a more intuitive drum brain.

Hope this helps
Wait so you're saying pads are better than mesh heads?

And it depends on what's in your price range.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

I use rolands for space/noise considerations, cant say I'm delighted but they are ideal for the practising and recording I do. You can plug ekits straight into your computer and record yourself using easily available software [I use Audacity], and then listen and pick up what needs improving, or send mp3s around the net www.myspace.com/bigjoncable or even post stuff on here so everybody can pull ya to pieces!!!

Last edited by Jon Cable; 07-22-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: url wrong
Old 07-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
I use rolands for space/noise considerations, cant say I'm delighted but they are ideal for the practising and recording I do. You can plug ekits straight into your computer and record yourself using easily available software [I use Audacity], and then listen and pick up what needs improving, or send mp3s around the net www.myspace.com/bigjoncable or even post stuff on here so everybody can pull ya to pieces!!!
You said you can plug it straight into your computer...how do you do this?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 PM

If you've got the dough, Roland's TD-12 is extremely nice. It's a wonderful alternative to the TD-20 which costs about 3 grand more USD.

Maybe look for one used on eBay or something. I got one a few weeks ago and I love it.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty View Post
You said you can plug it straight into your computer...how do you do this?
theres an output jack socket on the back of the 'brain' that you connect the kit to an amp with, then plug the other end into the mike socket on your computer; this is sometimes onthe front but can be on the back too.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

i think yamaha will offer a much better deal if you can deal with the rubber pads. the DTXTREME is a really great kit, not better then the roland's higher end kits, but WAY cheaper.

if your house (if you do live in a house) is separated, i would go with an acoustic because you can always muffle the noise, but if you have a split house and you share a wall, i would go with an electric

Old 07-22-2007, 05:02 PM

I am saving up to buy an e-kit and from what I've heard my choice will be a Yamaha DT Express. My only problem is with the hi hat pad, is it possible for me to buy the other hi hat pad that comes with more expensive kit separately? The one that actually looks like a hi hat stand.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 AM

Check out the DTexpress 4 Special. They have a hi hat stand, same snare as the extreme and cymbals. It has yamaha's newest module. I have the kit, it is great. The maple, oak and birch kits are awesome. I don't see how roland could sound anywhere near them seeing as they don't make accoustic drums.
Robo
ps do a search on you tube for some videos or check out dtexperience.com
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Electric is necessary, but acoustic drums are irreplacable!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Check out the DTexpress 4 Special. They have a hi hat stand, same snare as the extreme and cymbals. It has yamaha's newest module. I have the kit, it is great. The maple, oak and birch kits are awesome. I don't see how roland could sound anywhere near them seeing as they don't make accoustic drums.
Robo
ps do a search on you tube for some videos or check out dtexperience.com
That one is out of my budget range at the moment, which I asked whether or not I could buy the parts separately.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
theres an output jack socket on the back of the 'brain' that you connect the kit to an amp with, then plug the other end into the mike socket on your computer; this is sometimes onthe front but can be on the back too.
Yeah except that the jack socket on the TD-10 is 1/4 inch; the computer mike socket is 1/8 inch...
Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
KARL MEMBER

In this case I would go for an e-kit I think. If your neighbors won`t accept it an e-kit works well.
You would have the option to put mesh heads on your acoustic kit but it will be the same as practicing on a practice-pad kit.
Though: When buying an e-kit, buy a very valuabe kit. You won`t get anything if an e-kit isn`t authentic, sensible, has a good sound/feel etc.
For the money the best I`ve ever tried was the Roland TD-12. Really good sound and authentic feel.

Roland makes good stuff...they develop all the technology.

Of course an acoustic kit is always the best and most orginal thing to play on but if you aren`t able to play on an a-kit because of your neighbors a good electronic drum set works.

PS: Another option would be maybe renting a room somewhere not too far away where you could practice with an a-kit??
Or building a small sound-proofed room in your house for the drums?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 PM

Location: Russia (Thats why my language and especially grammar is not well enough. Don't judge me!)

My recomendation - Hart Dynamics drumkit and Roland drum module, TD-6V for exemple
Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM

Roland is way way overpriced. I've owned a Yamaha DTXtreme IIS for the past year and it's fantastic...I believe you can pick one up now for about 2K...I have no problem with the rubber pads. It compares favourably with the higher end Roland kits at a fraction of the price.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

If you're new, an acoustic kit will be better for you. An E-Kit will really help you develop poor technique because it compensates for all of the drummers mistakes. Also, for the price of a roland you can get a used pro level kit with cymbals. Or a new one depending on the Roland.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 PM
nhzoso

I don't own an e-kit yet but have a question for all the people who have debated over Roland mesh or Yamaha pads.

I would think if you want to be able to play an accoustic kit as well someday would'nt it be better to go with the Roland Mesh heads? Seems to me they would provide feedback IE: rebound, more like an accoustic than a rubber pad. Just curious as I may end up getting an e-kit also.

One more, do the cymbals play somewhat like real cymbals? Like if I hit the ride towards the end will it be a different tone than if I hit it more towards the middle? I know it has a bell sound but curious if it senses positions between the bell and the end.

Thanks