DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Default What do the different stick sizes mean?

You may have seen my other post, but if not I am going to start drums soon and I have no idea what the different stick sizes mean (like 5A or 7B...). Is it something to do with the shape of the tip or something?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: What do the different stick sizes mean?

Generally speaking the higher the number the thinner ther stick, and an A is THINNER than a B.

So..

from thickest to thinnest:

2B
5B
5A
7A

Most people start off with a 5A and then progess to whatever feels comfortable (size of hand, volume requirement/feel etc)
Old 07-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

To make things complicated, there is no standardization on stick sizes between different companies. So for example, a 7A Pro-mark and a 7A Vic-Firth are not the same size.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
To make things complicated, there is no standardization on stick sizes between different companies. So for example, a 7A Pro-mark and a 7A Vic-Firth are not the same size.
Not only are they not the same size, the weights can vary *greatly* between them. And, to make it even more complicated, sometimes a Vic Firth 7A you buy one day can weigh much less than a Vic Firth 7A you're going to buy next week.

This is why I quite using Pro Mark oak sticks...there was no consistency at all from pair to pair.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
This is why I quite using Pro Mark oak sticks...there was no consistency at all from pair to pair.
Vic Firth 5A's are getting that way too.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Vic Firth 5A's are getting that way too.
Funny you should say that - that's the stick I've been using for 5 mo. or so, since I quit using the PM oaks. I've found those to be pretty consistent, at least lately. However, they used to be just as bad. I have a pair of VF 5a's here that I just couldn't use...they were like lead weights.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

I've had some weights on my Vaters vary slightly. The second pair of Manhattan 7As I bought were slightly heavier than the first, but not by much. All in all I wasn't too disappointed, and I'm definitely going to stick with them in the future.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Funny you should say that - that's the stick I've been using for 5 mo. or so, since I quit using the PM oaks. I've found those to be pretty consistent, at least lately. However, they used to be just as bad. I have a pair of VF 5a's here that I just couldn't use...they were like lead weights.
I buy my sticks from the same store everytime. I have fluctuated between Vic's and PM's all my life for the most part.

Since late 2005 I have found Vic's 5A's to be inconsistent. One of the local drum instructors at the store even related an experience that he had and stated... a large number of the pairs of 5A's that came to the store were receiving complaints from the customers. The census was that the 5A's that were recently purchased had been inbetween 7A's and 5A's in size. I never saw one like that.

Also, another complaint was that the top half of the stick was getting thinner on one shipment and on the next it was thicker. I will agree with that fact cuz the last pair I bought looked like and felt like toothpics in weight.

Overall, I have noticed a different feel in the 5A's. Some of them even feel like they are made of plastic at times.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Not only are they not the same size, the weights can vary *greatly* between them. And, to make it even more complicated, sometimes a Vic Firth 7A you buy one day can weigh much less than a Vic Firth 7A you're going to buy next week.

That is kind of the thing with sabian and zildjian in sound. My A thin crash sounds ridiculously nice compared to the ones at the GC. I also compared to AAX studio crashes and 2 AAX dark crashes, and they all sounded completley different.

Although im not much of a paiste fan, they are consistent with their sound.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
That is kind of the thing with sabian and zildjian in sound. My A thin crash sounds ridiculously nice compared to the ones at the GC. I also compared to AAX studio crashes and 2 AAX dark crashes, and they all sounded completley different.

Although im not much of a paiste fan, they are consistent with their sound.
I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have to ask this. You say that your A thin crash sounds different from the ones at the GC. Also, you made refference to the AAX studio and the AAX dark crashes. You didn't give enough info on the both of those so I will leave it alone. But, you did say that you have a A thin crash, and thats where my inquisitive response comes from.

Have you thought about the DEFINATE possibility that the reason they sound different is because of the environment you are hearing them in? Your house and GC are completely separate environments. To apply and accuse Zildjian and Sabian of inconsistency in thier cymbals is a little pre-mature.. wouldn't you think? Of course... one can argue pereception of sound, but that doesn't fly with me in this case.

Can you please eloborate?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have to ask this. You say that your A thin crash sounds different from the ones at the GC. Also, you made refference to the AAX studio and the AAX dark crashes. You didn't give enough info on the both of those so I will leave it alone. But, you did say that you have a A thin crash, and thats where my inquisitive response comes from.

Have you thought about the DEFINATE possibility that the reason they sound different is because of the environment you are hearing them in? Your house and GC are completely separate environments. To apply and accuse Zildjian and Sabian of inconsistency in thier cymbals is a little pre-mature.. wouldn't you think? Of course... one can argue pereception of sound, but that doesn't fly with me in this case.

Can you please eloborate?
Well, i tryed the Sabian ones right next to each other. The fact that the 2 A thin crashes are in two different environments may affect the sound and make it different that is true, but i do not believe to the extent the sound difference. I think it is far too great a distance for the environment to make a difference. Also the guy at the GC agreed with me about it.

W/e, im not trying to bash either company, personally i love the cymbals zidljian and sabian make.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Is it OK to buy non wood sticks off the internet or is it best to always go to a shop to check them out? Or should I go for wooden sticks?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Some consider the style of music played in choosing a drumstick. Rock and Metal musicians typically play heavier sticks while Jazz drummers go lighter. I would visit my local drum shop and perhaps buy 2 or 3 different sizes and try them out. I started playing 7A's and have since gone with 5A's. You may also want to buy a pair with nylon tips as they produce a different sound especially on cymbals.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM

I recommend you Promark 5b with wood Tip :D

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 07-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Back in the day A's were Orchestra and B's were band. The B's were a little heavier and thicker. I'm not sure if that stands today or not.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

im more of a nylon tip fan myself.. but im a 5 a, user my vic firths would break every 5 days so i went to promark and they last me much much longer