DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-19-2007, 04:50 AM

Default How do they get that sound?

How does Joey Jordison and Shannon Larkin get that sound that they have on their drums?.....its like a thud....but i love that thud.........another question......i kno it sounds dumb, but what is difference between warm/cold and bright/dark heads? what does joey or shannon, use do you think?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How do they get that sound?

Well i dont know exactly what "thud" you're talking about, but i can remember from "before i forget" there was a verry bassy, thuddy sound, and from what i know, that would be from a bass drum woofer.

As for the heads, different combinations of coating, or different amount of plys will result in a "warm" or "bright" sound.

A coated 2 ply head will be much warmer, while a single ply clear head will be more open, well, from what i've gathered from my heads anyways

Old 07-19-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
Well i dont know exactly what "thud" you're talking about, but i can remember from "before i forget" there was a verry bassy, thuddy sound, and from what i know, that would be from a bass drum woofer.

As for the heads, different combinations of coating, or different amount of plys will result in a "warm" or "bright" sound.

A coated 2 ply head will be much warmer, while a single ply clear head will be more open, well, from what i've gathered from my heads anyways
thanks for the input.....now does that mean that a REMO pinstripe head is brighter than a powerstroke 3 or 4 head?........which would give the thud sound?....what kind of head would give me the shortest sustain?....thats my question!...haha
Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 AM

I would say Evans Hydraulic heads have short sustain. The more plies and muffling it has the shorter the sustain will be. Hydraulics have two plys of mylar with oil between the plys for dampening.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

the bass drum woofer will create that sound you want, if you get the hydraulics, it will be a little to dull, i would get the EMAD batter (the one with the muffling rings, then you can control how much you want,and its an awesome head

Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 AM

alrite thanks for the information........what about for the resonant heads?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Joey Jordison here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Jordison and Shannon Larkin here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Larkin Joey plays Pearl Masters and Shannon plays Yamaha Birch Custom Absolutes. Mostly, chasing a drummers recorded sound down is a path to financial destruction. Got a $10K drum room, couple $100K worth of recording gear. A professional sound engineer and a producer. And I doubt either cat uses BD woofers. Work on making your kits sound as good as you can, 'cause your kit is what you've got to work with and that's your sound.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Joey Jordison here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Jordison and Shannon Larkin here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Larkin Joey plays Pearl Masters and Shannon plays Yamaha Birch Custom Absolutes. Mostly, chasing a drummers recorded sound down is a path to financial destruction. Got a $10K drum room, couple $100K worth of recording gear. A professional sound engineer and a producer. And I doubt either cat uses BD woofers. Work on making your kits sound as good as you can, 'cause your kit is what you've got to work with and that's your sound.
How true... And if your playing live with sound reinforcement you're at the mercy of the soundman. That's why I added triggers to my internal mics. Your best bet is to get a good/great sound that your happy with and hope the rest falls into place live....
Old 07-19-2007, 01:15 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Thanks for the voice of reason Harry!! Jeeeezzz.....

DO YOUR OWN THING...don't try to duplicate a recorded sound...you'll NEVER get it! EVER.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Woody View Post
How does Joey Jordison and Shannon Larkin get that sound that they have on their drums

Probably triggers/samples.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Gold Member

It's all about tuning. Not sure what heads Joey plays on (Clear Emps I think?) but I know Shannon used Pinstrips on all his toms with clear Ambassador's on the bottem. Both use clear PS3's on the bass drums with Falam patches. Tune your drums up right and you will hit "that" sound.
Try Aquarian Super II's with the Studio-X rings built in. That's what I am playing know and they are Kick Ass heads. They give me a really BIG warm sound and don't choke the drum, or need to be broken in at all. Perfect right out of the box!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Joel, YOU already started a thread on this exact topic a couple weeks ago. -------------> http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28558
Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Hey Joel, YOU already started a thread on this exact topic a couple weeks ago. -------------> http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28558
Perhaps he figures if he keeps asking the same question, he'll finally get the answer he wants to hear.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
...don't try to duplicate a recorded sound...you'll NEVER get it! EVER.
Well, that's not completely true... I've made a nice career based on my ability to duplicate recorded sounds. That's not to suggest that it's easy though.

But it's certainly true that sounds come as much or more from the engineer, as they do from the drums. There are a lot of variables on a drum itself, but EQ, gating, compression, and effects (like reverb and ambience) help create most of the drums sounds we're familiar with. And over the last 15-20 years, layering sounds with samples has created new drum sounds that are in fact impossible to achieve with an acoustic kit.

That's why drums in stores rarely sound like the drums on recordings, or in concert.

Bermuda
Old 07-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Perhaps he figures if he keeps asking the same question, he'll finally get the answer he wants to hear.
Hahaha, what is it that he wants to hear? Maybe that someone can wave a magic wand and make his kit sound like Larkin's or Jordison's? How many times do the members have to say the same thing?

Joel, again........ unless you have a (pro-sound studio), (proper mic's), a (skilled drum technician) and, a good house (engineer) with a nice (full board) to work with, you WILL NOT be able to immitate the sound of thier kits.

I and other members stated this to you on your last thread. You gave us a very small amount of information about your kit and the wood that its made out of, and suggestions were given to you based on the limited knowledge of information about your kit.

What is it that you want to hear? Different types of heads are not gonna give you the sound your looking for. When you hear these professional drummers kits on a CD or DVD they are professionally mastered by professional engineers to sound the way they do.

Unless you have the ability to afford it... stop trying to immitate, and begin to create YOUR OWN sound. I understand what you are doing. When I started drumming back in 1985 I wanted my kit to sound just like Tommy Lee's kit back then. But, I eventually had to accept the fact that it wasn't gonna happen without the finacial aid for the tools and people that can make it happen.

I know you dig the sound of Larkin's and Jordison's kit. I LOVE THEM TOO! Especially Larkin's. But, face the facts brother. It's not gonna happen unless you got the cash. Find your own sound that makes your playing.. YOUR playing.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Well, that's not completely true... I've made a nice career based on my ability to duplicate recorded sounds.
That is true!
Hey Bermuda, My TV show, Official Heat, has been playing some of Al's new videos... good stuff man!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Hahaha, what is it that he wants to hear? Maybe that someone can wave a magic wand and make his kit sound like Larkin's or Jordison's? How many times do the members have to say the same thing?

Joel, again........ unless you have a (pro-sound studio), (proper mic's), a (skilled drum technician) and, a good house (engineer) with a nice (full board) to work with, you WILL NOT be able to immitate the sound of thier kits.

I and other members stated this to you on your last thread. You gave us a very small amount of information about your kit and the wood that its made out of, and suggestions were given to you based on the limited knowledge of information about your kit.

What is it that you want to hear? Different types of heads are not gonna give you the sound your looking for. When you hear these professional drummers kits on a CD or DVD they are professionally mastered by professional engineers to sound the way they do.

Unless you have the ability to afford it... stop trying to immitate, and begin to create YOUR OWN sound. I understand what you are doing. When I started drumming back in 1985 I wanted my kit to sound just like Tommy Lee's kit back then. But, I eventually had to accept the fact that it wasn't gonna happen without the finacial aid for the tools and people that can make it happen.

I know you dig the sound of Larkin's and Jordison's kit. I LOVE THEM TOO! Especially Larkin's. But, face the facts brother. It's not gonna happen unless you got the cash. Find your own sound that makes your playing.. YOUR playing.

i didnt know cash was an issue......well, heck.....i have over 7000 saved up for my music fund (which is just me saving my money for drum equip.) i kno theirs is a little bit more expensive than that.....wait.....how much is jordison's sig kit?......couldnt i just buy that?......ill answer my own q, yes.....i can buy that......prob solved
Old 07-22-2007, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

Problem not solved. Recorded...hell...even live sounds (for the most part) are hardly pure-n-natural anymore. Just walls of compressors, trigger equipment, blah blah blah...

Why struggle with hours/days of tuning and trying different variations of drums and mics in the studio or live when you can just trigger/sample your way into the dream-sound that everyone wants to hear...and thus have people sit on message boards asking how to re-create it.

No worries though, it never sounds right on stage...only to our fans,out in the crowd, who paid to see the show.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:48 AM

ok ok.............i have made up my mind.....haha....i think i will get an electronic kit....i dont know what kind.........any help on choosing an E-Kit?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
ok ok.............i have made up my mind.....haha....i think i will get an electronic kit....i dont know what kind.........any help on choosing an E-Kit?
Do a search.

In fact, if you do have 7000 to spare, just get a roland TD-20, you can get pretty much any sound imaginable with one of those.
But they will never be acoustic.

If you want your kit to sound like Joey or Shannons, you will most likely find a sample to fit it.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Whoa! Joel.. within 22 minutes you went from answering your own question, speaking of buying a Jordison signature kit, to completely switching gears and wanting an electronic kit. Thats like going from overdrive and slamming the vehicle into reverse... lol

Chill buddy. You obviously know what type of sound you want. Now, you need to research this for yourself. Find a way to get right to the source of your needs and questions. I'm sure there is plently of information on the web about exactly what type of equipment that Larkin and Jordison use. All the way down to the F.O.H. board settings.

Sometimes one needs patience when trying to get answers. They won't always be found here. Have you tried finding a way to contact Larkin's or Jordison's drum techs? There are probably avenues available to the specific details that you want concerning thier kits. You just have to take the time to explore the options.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Joel,

You *may* find what you are looking for using a combination of acoustic and 'ekit'.

Toms in my experience are easier to get a killer thud out of using a combination of heads and muffling. Bass drums are more difficult mainly because it's harder to get the volume and prescence you are talking about without mic'ing them up and processing the sound.

So...

You may considering getting something like a Roland kick trigger and cheap module for the bass drum and running that through a good amp. You can get almost any bass drum sound imaginable from an open jazz tuning to a death metal click with this setup. Also, the feel of an ekit bass drum won't be drastically different from the feel of an acoustic bass drum. The difference between mesh head tom\snare pads and acoustic heads *in my experience* is much more noticeable.

If you do your shopping on ebay you could probably find an old T6 module and a KD80 kick trigger for $500 or less. If you went with the older style KD7 triggers you can get them for around $60 used. A double pedal setup will work with the KD80 style trigger (upright) but not the KD7 if that is an issue. But for the money, you could use two separate pedals and two KD7s.

I have a TD8 module and both of the triggers I mentioned. I know for a fact that you can get a killer 'metal' sound with that setup.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Having an E-kit is totally cool to get a sound you want, BUT, closing the doors on a great acoustic kit is silly. Perhaps you can buy both an Akit and an Ekit with that money? Jordison Sig kit AND a Roland TD-12? would be an amazing set-up.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:13 PM

oh of course. i would never dream of closing the doors completly on an acoustic kit.....gosh never......i guess i just didnt put that in my last reply......sorry for making you think that i was completly quiting acousic drumming.....haha....there is this guy on youtube.....i think his name is Machinegunsmith........look himup....im pretty sure that what he is using is an E-kit
Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 PM

In the modern drummer issuefor may 2007 (the one with jason bittner on the front) it has an article on joeys clock bass drum sound. now i wont type it all up but ill give you some of the key points:

remo powerstroke 3
reso tighter than batter
batter prety loose w/ feather pillow for recording
solid wood or plastic beater
Danmar pdkp or metal kick impact pad

the article doesnt say much more than that.
i hope that answers some of your question
Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i have over 7000 saved up for my music fund (which is just me saving my money for drum equip.) i kno theirs is a little bit more expensive than that.....wait.....how much is jordison's sig kit?......couldnt i just buy that?......ill answer my own q, yes.....i can buy that......prob solved
If you mean this kit http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=446741 , problem not solved. It's a Pearl Export kit hot-rodded to look like Joey Jordisons kit. You don't get Joeys drums for $1200. We know Joey plays a Pearl Masters kit. MMX, maple shells. You could probably land a used one for between $2-2.5K, if single bass with a double pedal will work. Twin kicks, probably closer to $3K, if you're wanting new drums, probably more like $4.5K. We also know what kind of cymbals he uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Jordison (go back to this link for reference). About $2K for cymbals, there you have it. Your $7K you saved should cover it.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
If you mean this kit http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=446741 , problem not solved. It's a Pearl Export kit hot-rodded to look like Joey Jordisons kit. You don't get Joeys drums for $1200. We know Joey plays a Pearl Masters kit. MMX, maple shells. You could probably land a used one for between $2-2.5K, if single bass with a double pedal will work. Twin kicks, probably closer to $3K, if you're wanting new drums, probably more like $4.5K. We also know what kind of cymbals he uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Jordison (go back to this link for reference). About $2K for cymbals, there you have it. Your $7K you saved should cover it.
well now im just looking for an E-kit.......that should cover it.......but i think i might still look into the sig kit.......thats all i wanted in the first place, was his signature kit......not his actual kit.......haha.....and i would only want a single bass with double pedal......i like that better than twin kicks.....i have the cymbla problem i think.....i have alot of them.....i dont want to write them all down cause it could take a while..........
Old 07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odranaz View Post
batter prety loose w/ feather pillow for recording
Wow... with all of the technology these days, someone who still uses a feather pillow.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Wow... with all of the technology these days, someone who still uses a feather pillow.
yea i kno.......EXACTLY what i thought too....
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
well now im just looking for an E-kit.......that should cover it.......but i think i might still look into the sig kit.......thats all i wanted in the first place, was his signature kit......not his actual kit.......haha.....and i would only want a single bass with double pedal......i like that better than twin kicks.....i have the cymbla problem i think.....i have alot of them.....i dont want to write them all down cause it could take a while..........
was this the thread where i heard the number 7000 in terms of $. if you have this much, i would FOR SURE buy a used MMX. or maybe this wasn't the thread, im to lazy to go back and look right now

Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
was this the thread where i heard the number 7000 in terms of $. if you have this much, i would FOR SURE buy a used MMX. or maybe this wasn't the thread, im to lazy to go back and look right now
yea, this was the thread that you heard about the 7000