DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-19-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Bass/Snare Heads

I know this gets asked alllll the time, but hey, this is what this subforum is for, right? Ok, well, heres the deal.
I've got Mapex M-Birch fusion drums. I've got Evan's EC2s on all the toms, and have an EC Reverse Dot Snare on, well, the snare. I really should of looked into it a bit more before I ordered it, because unless theres is something drastically wrong with my snare, the sound I get is not what I was expecting. Its very thunky and low, and not poppy at all. I assume this is human error, because I didn't even think about thats what the head was designed to do. I'm looking for something poppier. I'm open to all brands, but I have good experience with Evans aside from the snare mishap. I was thinking perhaps Genera? Or Genera Dry? Like I said, I'm open to all suggestions.
Moving on to bass. As a heads up, its 22 inches. Right now I have a Remo Powerstroke 4 on there, and sadly, I'm not too happy about the sound. It's not boomy or bassy like I want. Like with the snare, I probably should of looked into it a bit more before I bought. Which brings me to the main reason I'm here. What combo of batter and reso heads should I get to get the sound I'm looking for? I was looking into EMADs (I heard that I's are more open and boomy than II's, anyone care to clarify?) as both reso and batter. Some people claim that Super Kicks are the way to go batter wise, and that Regulators are reso gods.
If anyone has experience with either of these, and even better, both of them, I would love to hear your opinions! Feel free to ask any questions I forgot to answer in my original post.
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass/Snare Heads

Well... for the bass drum, if you are looking for a very boomy bass then the EMAD (this one http://www.rockemmusic.com/catalog/images/evans%20emad%202.jpg ) is for you, insert the thicker muffling ring and this is a bass beast, im not going to ramble, but it goes far beyond what i ever expected out of a bass batter.

Now the snare, i have a Genera Dry, i think it sounds very good, much improved sound over my old head, (remo controlled dot sound something or other) and also goes beyond what i thought i was getting from an evans head. i wouldn't really call it a ringy sound, even when its on my metal snare, from the way i view it, it's very warm, but an awesome sound, if you have a maple or birch snare, i would buy this, or the ST dry.

As for all the other heads, yes everyone i know theres other good ones out there, but im just saying that i am very pleased with the ones I own. Especially the EMAD

Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the input! I was leaning towards both of those anyway, but its always nice to have backing opinions! Do you have any experience with the EMAD reso head?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:28 AM

I play an EMAD batter, and let me tell you, it is a MONSTER. It's got that boomy, clappy bass drum sound that is frequently desired by rock drummers.

As to the snare head, I recommend the Genera Dry. Tune the batter head way up tight, and the reso head about half a turn lower. This will bend the pitch of the sound down. It creates a great, cracky, poppy sound.

Hope that helps,
Zach
Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 AM

Woo, guess I know what direction I'm going in! Another thing, I've been thinking about getting Ahead sticks, but after reading about them on here, I may be reconsidering that. What do you guys think? One pair of Aheads, or 5 pairs of wood Vic Firths?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpMan View Post
Woo, guess I know what direction I'm going in! Another thing, I've been thinking about getting Ahead sticks, but after reading about them on here, I may be reconsidering that. What do you guys think? One pair of Aheads, or 5 pairs of wood Vic Firths?
I would stay away from Ahead sticks. They are aluminum covered with a thin plastic sleeve. What if that sleeve breaks while you are playing? Would you ever hit your cymbals with a piece of aluminum? Heh, I definitely would not. Also, if the tip ever shatters during playing, you are almost guaranteed to bust a head open.

Go with the Vic Firths.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 AM

Good point. Man, I love this forum.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

i have the ahead sticks, but i would always take wood sticks. my ahead sticks have lasted over two years, while the max that woods sticks last me is about 2 weeks. my only complaint about them is that they slip out of your hands a lot, and they are a bit heavy, but they are very durable

Old 07-19-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Good point. Man, I love this forum.
I like it so far too, although I haven't looked around much.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 AM

I've had a pair of Vic Firth 5b's for about a month now, and they're still going strong.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:15 AM

Well, I'm talking to a friend of mine who is one of the best, if not the best local drummers, and he says that Emads are good, but he prefers Super Kick II's. What say you, Drummerworld?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Well, I'm talking to a friend of mine who is one of the best, if not the best local drummers, and he says that Emads are good, but he prefers Super Kick II's. What say you, Drummerworld?

I would say that I prefer the Remo Poserstroke 3 to either of those heads.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw