DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-14-2007, 02:11 PM
PureRockFury

Default Thinking of trying a Powersonic

Anyone here use the Powersonic? I'll admit I was probably less of a fan than most when it comes to this head when it first came out. I haven't had a chance to hear one in person, but after seeing one they look like they are quality, especially with the new larger logo/black box heads.

My main concern is I'll lose all volume and projection. It will be going on a 24x18 bass drum. The last time I used a 2 ply muffled head was when I used a SKII on a 20x20 8 ply keller bass. I couldn't hear my bass at all with the SKII/Regulator combo. No attack, no volume, no low end...just a very faint puff. No matter how I tuned it I just couldn't get it to project. I just don't want to run into this problem again, however I suppose a SKII/Regulator on a 20x20 kick isn't the greatest combo for such a small drum.

Any positives and negatives about this head are welcome. I don't know if I want to waste the money on one or just go ahead and get my usual Powerstroke 3.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:42 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Thinking of trying a Powersonic

I wouldn't completely rule out a SKII/Regulator combo on the 18x24 because it's a different animal than the 20x20. It's larger in diameter so it should have more volume, and it's already deep so it should project. a 20x20 Is a smaller size so it's going to have less volume, and it's extra deep so you have to be able to move the air to get any sort of projection.

Have you tried an EMAD setup?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:01 PM
PureRockFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I wouldn't completely rule out a SKII/Regulator combo on the 18x24 because it's a different animal than the 20x20. It's larger in diameter so it should have more volume, and it's already deep so it should project. a 20x20 Is a smaller size so it's going to have less volume, and it's extra deep so you have to be able to move the air to get any sort of projection.

Have you tried an EMAD setup?
I tried many EMAD's about 2-3 years ago and had the infamous ring snap, ring rattle, brittle attack sound.

I also find Evans heads to lose all tone, tunability, and life within a month of moderate playing. Aquarian are too dull sounding because of the different film used. So I've been a Remo guy for most of my 15 years drumming.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
I tried many EMAD's about 2-3 years ago and had the infamous ring snap, ring rattle, brittle attack sound.

I also find Evans heads to lose all tone, tunability, and life within a month of moderate playing. Aquarian are too dull sounding because of the different film used. So I've been a Remo guy for most of my 15 years drumming.
Just to add fuel to the fire.....I was a Remo guy for 30 years. I recently made a switch to Evans heads and have been quite pleased. I had a consistency issue with emperor heads, as do most drummers who've used them on a regular basis (just check out the threads here on that subject). I also used a Powerstroke3 kick drum head which I had to muffle with a small blanket. I now use coated G2's on my toms and they sound great and sound virtually brand new after 5 shows. I have an emad on my kick with a powerstroke style Yamaha logo head on the front and it gives me nice low end punch with no muffling in my kick whatsoever. Volume is still there, and it has been durable as well. I checked out Evans heads a long time ago, probably 8 to 10 years ago, and I didn't care for them then. Either they have improved or my tastes have changed, but I really am satisfied with them now. Just some food for thought......
Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Big_Philly

I am using a powersonic. I havent had much experience with heads like these but I really do like the sound of my bass drum. Also, the snap-on damping system is quite useful. When I need more resonance I just take off the snap-on cushioning, or unbutton one button.
I used to have a pinstripe bass head, muffled with a blanket in the drum, which was ok, but I like the powersonic much more. It just doesn't get any better when you don't have to use additional damping material inside the drum, you get a much more natural sound that way.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
My main concern is I'll lose all volume and projection. It will be going on a 24x18 bass drum. The last time I used a 2 ply muffled head was when I used a SKII on a 20x20 8 ply keller bass. I couldn't hear my bass at all with the SKII/Regulator combo. No attack, no volume, no low end...just a very faint puff.
Interesting.

That's the impression I'm having after recording for a few weeks. I was very gung ho about the EMAD 2 and Super Kick II, but I'm having second thoughts. They both sound great from the drivers seat, but sound real weak when you put as mic in front of them.

I picked up an Evans EQ1 batter and reso yesterday. I'm going to spend a few hours Sunday just messing with the bass drum and mics. Everything else sounds good, but the bass drum sounds distant.

I've seen the Powersonics at GC. Seems to be just another version of the Superkick/EMAD.

What are you using as a reso and do you use internal muffling?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Ive used a powersonic on a old tama swingster 22x16 & it sounded good. But not as good as a emad or sk2. Using sk2's at the moment but thinking of going back to emads.....
Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 PM
PureRockFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Interesting.

That's the impression I'm having after recording for a few weeks. I was very gung ho about the EMAD 2 and Super Kick II, but I'm having second thoughts. They both sound great from the drivers seat, but sound real weak when you put as mic in front of them.

I picked up an Evans EQ1 batter and reso yesterday. I'm going to spend a few hours Sunday just messing with the bass drum and mics. Everything else sounds good, but the bass drum sounds distant.

I've seen the Powersonics at GC. Seems to be just another version of the Superkick/EMAD.

What are you using as a reso and do you use internal muffling?
I always run my bass drums wide open. PS3/PS3 combo with no additional muffling also with a port on the reso.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:34 PM
PureRockFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
Just to add fuel to the fire.....I was a Remo guy for 30 years. I recently made a switch to Evans heads and have been quite pleased. I had a consistency issue with emperor heads, as do most drummers who've used them on a regular basis (just check out the threads here on that subject). I also used a Powerstroke3 kick drum head which I had to muffle with a small blanket. I now use coated G2's on my toms and they sound great and sound virtually brand new after 5 shows. I have an emad on my kick with a powerstroke style Yamaha logo head on the front and it gives me nice low end punch with no muffling in my kick whatsoever. Volume is still there, and it has been durable as well. I checked out Evans heads a long time ago, probably 8 to 10 years ago, and I didn't care for them then. Either they have improved or my tastes have changed, but I really am satisfied with them now. Just some food for thought......
See, I've been fortunate enough to not have any problems with Remo's 2 ply heads or the infamous coating problem. I never did the tap test either. Bought em, threw them on, tuned and away I went.

If I were to use Evans again I'm not too sure I would want to try the EMAD because of the problems I had with 2 of them one after another. I tried an EQ4 Clear just before I tried those EMAD's about 2-3 years ago and it worked out ok, although I found there was too much attack and not enough low end.

I wouldn't hesitate to try Evans again, but I would be mighty pissed if the same problems that happened before resurfaced again.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

I use SKII / PS3 combo on my 18x24 keller shell DW. I think it sounds great. I think if I used the regulator reso I would lose some volume. I had a gig last night with a really dead room. I just cranked the reso up a little and it livened things up.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
See, I've been fortunate enough to not have any problems with Remo's 2 ply heads or the infamous coating problem. I never did the tap test either. Bought em, threw them on, tuned and away I went.

If I were to use Evans again I'm not too sure I would want to try the EMAD because of the problems I had with 2 of them one after another. I tried an EQ4 Clear just before I tried those EMAD's about 2-3 years ago and it worked out ok, although I found there was too much attack and not enough low end.

I wouldn't hesitate to try Evans again, but I would be mighty pissed if the same problems that happened before resurfaced again.
Boy, you are lucky if you didn't experience consistency problems with Emperors. I don't know how often you change/changed heads or how much you play, but I played quite a bit and went through alot of heads. I used to change my emperor coated snare head about once every 4 to 5 shows, clear emp tom heads about once every 12 to 15 shows. Sometimes I'd get one and the coating wore off and the drum sounded dead from the get-go. Other times they sounded sweet and lasted for a while, hence the beginning of the tap test as you can tell which ones will sound dead when you tap them and they don't resonate. The same with the tom heads. I used clear emps, but again, some were dead and when one tom is dead and the others sing, it sucks. So, I went with clear ambassadors and they sounded great but not as durable. Now I have the Evans heads and I haven't had a problem....yet. I would be ticked off too if I tried a company's heads and had another problem again. I don't blame you. Who knows, maybe I'll get some bad Evan's heads and revert back to Remo!