DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-10-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Sonor Giant Steps

Has/Does anybody use(d) these? They ought to be pretty decent by their price. And Thomas Lang uses them, although he is endorsed.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Sonor Giant Steps

From what I gather, they're good pedals; but not worth the asking price.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Nice pedals, solid. Skinny foot board, biggest downer is they come with a 'docking station' which is a piece that gets attached to your bass drum hoop (via an allen wrench) and stays there. The pedal 'levers on' to the docking station easily.

Cool if you play the same bass drum night after night, or have many docking stations....basically the pedal is worthless (won't play) without the docking station and station is more of a hassle to mount (on center) than standard pedals. One more piece to easily loose also.

Heel feels a bit high for my playing style. Nice the beaters on the twin hit at equal distance left and right from dead center on the bass drum head, not the usual- primary dead center and secondary a little to the left. Easy to adjust, high build quality, can be set up to feel as good as anything out there. Tooo pricy and the docking station would keep me from recommending it.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 PM

I'm very interested in the twin effects pedal. I don't want to buy something that is full of features, but cheap-n-flimsy. This baby needs to be solid. I don't care too much about the separate docking piece. Is the docking piece solid? I'd prefer to take advantage of my heel. Any input re: my concerns?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Docking Station below mounts to the bass drum hoop. It goes on with an allen head (6 sided) tool and needs to be centered, which is a bit of a hassle. Obviously not designed for a traveling drummer that plays a lot of rented drum sets like I do. If you use the same bass drum all the time this set up is a time saver and works really well. The docking station is designed to stay on the bass drum hoop when the pedal is removed.

A round synthetic type ball is attached to the end of a rod fixed to an adjustable lever on the bottom plate of the Giant Step pedal. With the docking station on the bass drum hoop, you insert the ball into the slot on top of the docking station, then pull the lever and the pedal is compressed onto the hoop/station. Check out the sonor site to see the lever on the pedal.

Everything Sonor makes is high quality, even their overseas made gear is designed well. The hi-end stuff like the Giant step pedals are 'top of the line', nothing cheap about them.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2007, 12:17 AM

I'm adicted to everything Sonor, everything except the pedals that is.

They are of high quality, but they are overpriced, and can be very difficult to get parts for if they break. They are no better than DW, or any other major brand.

The Twin Effect Pedal is cool, no doubt, but it will require you to learn a whole new technique to master it.

Try some DW9000s; you can afford them if you can afford Sonor Giant Steps, and the DWs will be easier to maintain over time.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Consultant

I have and use the twin effect pedal. It is bulletproof-tough and the technique isn't that hard to learn. The coordination and stamina takes some time but the basic move isn't too bad.

I love it. I use it on a trigger pad to the left of my hats.

The regular pedals are brutally overpriced, though. Typical of Sonor.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:59 AM

ya i just went to a clinic and benny greb uses them to he was talking about how good they are but he is also endorsed by sonor
Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

i have used the single pedal, personally i didn't like it too much, much better pedals out there

Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_159 View Post
ya i just went to a clinic and benny greb uses them to he was talking about how good they are but he is also endorsed by sonor
Well he HAS to say that. I use a DW5000, not too expensive and in the last couple of years I've had it, it has become an extension of my foot.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I use a DW5000, not too expensive and in the last couple of years I've had it, it has become an extension of my foot.
Almost everyone I know who ownes a 5000 says they have had one for years and years, and how long lasting they are.

I might get one....

But I like mapex pedals....

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM

hi folks.
i use a giant step pedal.
they are very solid and they feel like you could use them if you had concrete blocks for feet.
the docking station is solid. i remember though, showing up at a club to play a gig and the drummer in the band before us had forgotten his pedal, so it meant opening up the kick case, taking off the docking station, putting it on his hoop, then doing it all again when he was finished.
all top brand pedals are excellent. the only fault i have with the giant step is that i feel it lacks a little speed.