DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Default Re: Billy Ward here!

Hi Mike,

What you saw probably was a Shure KSM 141s.
That is a small diaphrgm mic that basically replaces the sm81. It is much smoother and can do omni as well as cardiod.
I would recommend you looking into a pair of the ksm137s - they are cardiod only version of the 141 that I use so often. Nice as a snare mic too in some applications.

They might be priced a bit above what you are looking to spend though - maybe a pair of those Octava small diaphragms? or may the MXLs sound OK? I don't know. Just edited to add this - Studio Projects mics are made in China, but that company is a very good company that understands audio and cares (it seems to me) more than most. You should check out their lineup and see if there is something there for you. There are so many brands in this price range it is numbing!

You might want to consider checking on evil-bay for a used pair of better mics than the current slew of chinese largge or small diaphrgms. If you buy better ones, then you will never question their abilities and can keep them forever!

ONce you get under around 400- per mic, I don't have first hand experience. Maybe someone else has some suggestions? look around.

Check out www.gearslutz.com. They have a "low end section" (meaning, not expensive!) and I think it is a great website/forum for recording.

Last edited by billy ward; 06-19-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: had another thought for a recommended mic-
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Wow, thanks man. Really appreciate all of the advice you've given. I'll check those mics out.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

Billy,

I believe a guy you might know out in KC is going to trade me a DW cast aluminum snare ya signed for him. Not sure if you did any recording in his studio or not. Guy by the name of Alex Austyn I believe. Just sent him a cherry snare I built and he's itching for this new Magnesium snare I just finished lol He sent me a list of snares he had for trade and the one you signed happened to be on there. Actually... if I could get your opinion on something that'd be great. If you've got the time to try something new shoot me an email: tim@mckenziedrums.com

-Tim

Last edited by crazyhorse; 06-21-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Billy,

I believe a guy you might know out in KC is going to trade me a DW cast aluminum snare ya signed for him. Not sure if you did any recording in his studio or not. Guy by the name of Alex Austyn I believe. Just sent him a cherry snare I built and he's itching for this new Magnesium snare I just finished lol He sent me a list of snares he had for trade and the one you signed happened to be on there. Actually... if I could get your opinion on something that'd be great. If you've got the time to try something new shoot me an email: tim@mckenziedrums.com

-Tim
Hi Tim -

Well, if I signed it, then it must be a DW aluminum - either a 14X5 or a 13X5. the 13" is my siggy snare. I love it. The 14 is Abe Laboriel Jr.'s siggy snare. You can't miss with either one. Great drum! let me knwo how it turns out for you!

-Bw
Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Well...to be honest I don't know much about you so I'll just say hi! so: Hi!
BUT...I will learn about you! I've heard a lot about you so I'm ready to learn.

ok. that was a waste of server space but oh well I'm in a friendly mood today

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 06-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward View Post
Hi Tim -

Well, if I signed it, then it must be a DW aluminum - either a 14X5 or a 13X5. the 13" is my siggy snare. I love it. The 14 is Abe Laboriel Jr.'s siggy snare. You can't miss with either one. Great drum! let me knwo how it turns out for you!

-Bw
Yep.. 13x5 aluminum in black. We're going to swap just as soon as I've got this new drum ready for him. I'm corrupting him into a new snare material muahahaha.. Looking forward to hearing the DW though, would be the first I've owned since I have always been one to try out smaller companies first.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:31 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Yep.. 13x5 aluminum in black. We're going to swap just as soon as I've got this new drum ready for him. I'm corrupting him into a new snare material muahahaha.. Looking forward to hearing the DW though, would be the first I've owned since I have always been one to try out smaller companies first.
Hmm - I've never seen it in black - only natural! If it really is aluminum, then you have possibly a one of a kind-
Great Snare drum! It can tune high, but try tuning it more in the middle to low... nasty!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:39 AM

I just picked up a 13x5 Steel snare from GC for $60. I got it mainly as a practice snare and for quieter gigs, and because I have a pile of new 13" heads, but no 13" drums anymore.... but I'm really starting to like it. I'm only playing it with a t-shirt on it as a muffle and haven't tuned the mud out of it, but its got potential. I haven't seen your siggy snare, but I'm certainly game for trying it out. Isn't the Steve Gadd siggy similar? Why do you prefer aluminum over other materials?

[plug] re: smaller companies ... check out Allegra if you get a chance. I've never been a fan of open jazz tuning, but the Allegra drumsets sound absolutely awesome tuned completely open. Solid tone, warm with lots of character. [/plug]
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Hiya folks -
drummerchick - I have a website at www.billyward.com You can find all kinds of lies there! :D

Hi John. I am unfamiliar with Steve's snare drum. Aluminum is something you will see alot of studio guys enjoying because it is dry, but has plenty of honk or bonk if you want that as well. Not as ringy as brass. I hope this helps. and yeah, there are a lot of small manufacturers out there these days and lots of great drums are being made! That's really a good thing!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Default clinic tour-

I'm not sure if this should be posted here or elsewhere, but I am doing a five city in five days clinic tour in the eastern US beginning May 23.
Details are here: www.billyward.com
If any of you are coming, please let me know -
Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Not far enough south I'm afraid. =(

Oh Billy.. here's that drum I was telling you about:

http://www.mckenziedrums.com/DWSnare-002.jpg
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Not far enough south I'm afraid. =(

Oh Billy.. here's that drum I was telling you about:

http://www.mckenziedrums.com/DWSnare-002.jpg
crazy - yep. Now i remember it. that is def my siggy and an unusual drum! I hope you enjoy it.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: clinic tour-

Quote:
I'm not sure if this should be posted here or elsewhere, but I am doing a five city in five days clinic tour in the eastern US beginning May 23.
Details are here: www.billyward.com
If any of you are coming, please let me know -
Hey Billy - Rob from Handidrummed here again. I may be able to get to the one in Natick, MA, as I'm in MA too, but it's alittle bit of a drive. If I'm able to make it I'll let you know.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Hey Billy - Rob from Handidrummed here again. I may be able to get to the one in Natick, MA, as I'm in MA too, but it's alittle bit of a drive. If I'm able to make it I'll let you know.
HI Rob - well, I FINALLY signed your guestbook at your website! My apologies for it taking so long.
Have you read the Slogg Blog in my forum? this guy is absolutely amazing us with his spirit as he deals with cancer! It's kind of up your alley...
best
BW
Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
HI Rob - well, I FINALLY signed your guestbook at your website! My apologies for it taking so long.
Have you read the Slogg Blog in my forum? this guy is absolutely amazing us with his spirit as he deals with cancer! It's kind of up your alley...
best
BW
I just saw that, thanks alot Billy. As always, I really appreciate your support of the site.

Yes I have read the Slogg Blog but not in a while. I'll have to check up on it. He's an amazing guy.

Thanks again Billy. I hope to meet up with you at the GC Clinic in Natick on the 23rd.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey, Billy this is Sam from your own forum.

I have a question about the Big Time dvd. Well, your bassdrum-sound actually.

Recently I've tried the mic setup that you use. It's great.

The only thing I don't seem to get is that supernice meaty kicksound. It's a 'thick' sounding sound with sooooo much bottom end. And with your small kit (those short stack dw's) you also get that great 'doennnnng' sound.
Is that a typical sound for that beta91 (that pzm mic)? I've heard that mic is great for picking up the sound inside the bassdrum.
I find that sound has soooo much bottom end, but yes is controllable.

Help me out here.

All the best

Sam
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The only thing I don't seem to get is that supernice meaty kicksound. It's a 'thick' sounding sound with sooooo much bottom end. And with your small kit (those short stack dw's) you also get that great 'doennnnng' sound. Is that a typical sound for that beta91 (that pzm mic)? I've heard that mic is great for picking up the sound inside the bassdrum.
Based on no experience and knowledge whatsoever, I'd say that the woofer might contribute to this.

...or, I could just shut up and let the maestro do the talking. :)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Based on no experience and knowledge whatsoever, I'd say that the woofer might contribute to this.

...or, I could just shut up and let the maestro do the talking. :)
Yes, I know. But in the first part of the dvd ... with his short stack dw's. He doesn't use a woofer. Let's listen what the maestro has to say! :D
Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM
DW Pro Drummer

I'm about to sell those short stacks for charity (AIDS) - probably on evilbay. I'll try to keep you guys in touch with that when it happens. If in doubt, check my website - it will definitely be posted over there.

Those short stacks have a more meaty sustain because they have such short shells. Contrary to popular opinion, a shorter shell will have far more sustain than a longer shell.

Re: the miking thing and bass drum sound. i think what Sam is describing is mostly, (first) the drum sound itself. That 12 X 20 bass drum is awesome. The mic probably ahs the least to do with the sound. the meaty sustain and focus of the kick sound is probaboly more from my compression on that channel than anything else. Daking compressor - pricey, but the best tracking limiter I've ever used. I have five of them. Also, the room that was recorded in has a very good/happy bottom end. all of these things are factors.

Thanks guys -
B
Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Pioneer Member

DW, i knew it! Thank god i have some! :D

Daking has some super gear, at a really good price. I'm thinking about buying myself 6 channels of Daking pre's. 2 Mic/EQ pre's and 1 IV pre. Straight into pro tools.

May i ask what your gigging kit consists of? (i mean sizes in particular)
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
DW, i knew it! Thank god i have some! :D

Daking has some super gear, at a really good price. I'm thinking about buying myself 6 channels of Daking pre's. 2 Mic/EQ pre's and 1 IV pre. Straight into pro tools.

May i ask what your gigging kit consists of? (i mean sizes in particular)
six channels of daking with EQ available for the kick and snare mics sounds perfect to me!
It's a lot of dough, but definitely the best gear for the money.

My live or studio kit changes depending upon the gig itself. I will usually use either the 20 or 22 bass drum (most of the time, it's one of the 20s - either 12X20 or 16X20). Might choose no woofer - or a 22 woofer or my 28. Hope this helps!

If you listen to the end of that first solo that starts my DVD, Big Time, you can hear the chain on the bass pedal. this is because of all the compression that I applied to that piece.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Pioneer Member

You have probably some very nice DW kits stored in your studio. I like the idea of multiple kits ... combining different sizes.

Yeah, Daking ain't that cheap, but it's super. Less is more! Fewer, but better pre's, instead of 24 channels of focusrite stuff.

I never noticed that sound! Put some grease on that chain!!!! :D hahaha
Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Default Billy Ward drums FS for charity... please check this out!

This is a rather serious post that is announcing an upcoming sale of one of my drum kits for charity.

Many of you may know that my sister in law, Meghan Robinson, passed away fifteen years ago after contracting aids. To this day, my wife and I are heartbroken over Meghan’s death.

AIDS AND CHILDREN
Today, there are more than 15 million children orphaned by AIDS. By the year 2010, that number will exceed 50 million. Who will care for, feed, educate, and raise these precious lives? I believe the world needs a greater involvement in the fight against AIDS, the most devastating disease the world has ever faced. We cannot ignore the cries of the three million people who will die of AIDS this year, not to mention the five million more who will contract it. We must do our part to arrest the spread of this horrific disease.

AARON CUSHING
This coming December 26 through January 6, Aaron Cushing, the illustrious webmaster at my website, has informed me that he will be traveling to Ethiopia to work with missionaries who have dedicated themselves to the fight against AIDS. Though the costs of this trip may be high, the return is undeniable. Aaron told me he expects this trip to be a challenging, exhausting, yet life-altering experience for him and his team. Aaron believes that it will have a far-reaching impact in the lives of many people. Our world will be stronger. Aaron and his wife have decided what their roles are in helping this cause.

WHAT CAN I DO? (aka THIS KIT COULD BE YOURS!)
I’ve been thinking of my possible role as well and have decided that the most effective way to raise money to help is for me to auction a DW drum set from my personal collection. But certainly all of you are invited to take your chance on winning this wonderful kit. This drum set is one of a kind. It appears several times in my DVD, “Big Time”. The movie kicks off with a drum solo on radically de-tuned drums. Those are the drums that will be available for purchase. One Hundred percent of the money made from this auction (after shipping expenses) will be sent to Aaron to help his expenses on this trip. The drums are a DW Maple short stack tom kit. The color is a tobacco sunburst with (no longer available) black mini-lugs.
Condition of this kit is near mint to mint. You can view some pics of this kit from the discussion forum of my website:

http://p205.ezboard.com/Billys-kit-t...cID=2709.topic

The sizes are as follows:
12 X 20 bass drum with May EA (AKG D112) microphone shock mounted inside.
4 X 12 snare drum
10, 12 and 14 short stack toms (3 total)

The 12” deep bass drum and 12” snare with only 6 lugs are two of the unique qualities of this kit. This kit is a perfect addition to ANY drummer. There isn’t a smaller kit in the world that sounds as mighty on any stage. It was designed to be my local jobbing kit and has been used on a handful of local dates with the likes of Joan Osborne, Leni Stern and Jon Pousette-Dart. (You might remember Pousette-Dart from our appearance at the 2000 MD Fest)
You won’t believe how these drums sound and look! If requested, I will sign each drum of the kit before shipping.
So that’s it. I will try to let you know when it is going to appear on ebay. I expect it to go up on ebay this coming Friday. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please post here or on my own forum and I'll respond.

Thanks-
Billy Ward
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Pioneer Member

My condolences regarding your sister-in-law.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Hey pallys... the drums are on EBAY as of last night -and so far, in less than 24 hours, they are listed at $2050.00. Man... I REALLY feel good about this! I am hoping a real player ends up with them (rather than a collector) because these guys need to be played!

Here's the link to the ebay lsiting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BILLY-WARDS-DW-D...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Pioneer Member

2050$. That's really not expensive. I thought they would be up for like 5000$!

Sam
Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Hi Sam - well, the drums are up to 2800- today! :D

ALSO...
A distinguished member of my forum, Mainely, has jumped in on ebay to sell a Tempus snare drum and all proceeds will additionally go to my webmaster's trip to Eithiopia for AIDS. (same deal as my own kit that I'm selling there)
What is nice about this (besides Mainely’s obvious over the top generosity) is that some of you who couldn’t afford to bid on a drum set may be able to bid on this drum! Tempus makes good drums!

Here is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=150154511295

Thanks to Bernhard for allowing this sort of announcement.

We're going crazy with the fundraising at my forum!

and.... wish me Happy Birthday today! :D
Old 08-24-2007, 11:41 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Hi Sam - well, the drums are up to 2800- today! :D

ALSO...
A distinguished member of my forum, Mainely, has jumped in on ebay to sell a Tempus snare drum and all proceeds will additionally go to my webmaster's trip to Eithiopia for AIDS. (same deal as my own kit that I'm selling there)
What is nice about this (besides Mainely’s obvious over the top generosity) is that some of you who couldn’t afford to bid on a drum set may be able to bid on this drum! Tempus makes good drums!

Here is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=150154511295

Thanks to Bernhard for allowing this sort of announcement.

We're going crazy with the fundraising at my forum!

and.... wish me Happy Birthday today! :D
Happy Birthday Billy!

That ebay link doesn't work. Here is another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEMPUS-CUSTOM-CA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Happy birthday Billy!!!!

...and check also out the Drum-News at Drummerworld

http://www.drummerworld.com/drum_zone.html

so hopefully some strong bidders coming in when the auction getS hot
AT Aug-27-07 19:00:00 PDT

Bernhard
Old 08-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

Happy Birthday Billy Ward!

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 08-25-2007, 05:12 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Thanks for the better link 4strings!
thanks for the pub, Bernhard!
thanks for the birthday wish, D-chick!!!

I've recieved a great birthday wish... two of my friends have great news regarding their cancer treatments/recovery...

This has been a great day.

and... I'm so busy, I should've posted this earlier... but I'm doing a clinic and masterclass in Canada this coming Tuesday and Wednesday. Check it out on the front page of my website.. it is south-eastern canada.. (maybe I should look at a map??? :D)
I am doing it all as a gift to help further raise some money for AIDS.

Another trip around the sun! Weeeeeeeeeeeee.....
Old 09-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

Hey Billy,
"Big Time" smokes! I was hoping to get some insight regarding the heel tap. Why is it you do this? To keep in time? It seems like one more thing to think about. Actually, I believe that I just don't get it.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Erik Lund

....thought it was explained in the DVD. Subdivision, baby!
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Hey Erik,
Yeah subdivision....I get it. We have plenty of "subdivision" between our limbs. I don't think that's what Billy is trying to convey. I could be wrong... but after watching the video...again, I didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Hey Erik,
Yeah subdivision....I get it. We have plenty of "subdivision" between our limbs. I don't think that's what Billy is trying to convey. I could be wrong... but after watching the video...again, I didn't find what I was looking for.
Example... Play a single stroke roll at a brisk tempo. Now, remove your right hand and just play 16th note up-beats with your left. Kinda tricky? Now tap your thigh with your right hand on quarter notes. Suddenly it becomes a lot easier to line up those up-beat notes.

It's the same thing with the heel tap. You're creating more "notes" in order to fill the gaps between actual strokes and to reinforce your time feel. Like Billy said, incorporating mechanisms into your playing is like taking a step back to go two steps forward, but the two steps forward are really worth the effort. The idea is to develop the whole concept to a level where you don't have to think about it.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Nice,
That works beautifully.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:18 AM

Hey Mr. Ward, I just wanted to say that your block at the 2000 MD Festival was, I thought, the most educational and helpful. Thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 PM

Billy, will you be working Joan at all in the future?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:08 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Hi J/R -

Joan is easily one of the best (and most inspiring) singers I've ever played with. (I like "play" more than "work") She is incredible - and equally incredible as a person, so it is very possible that I will play with her again. That said, I'm outta there for now - too many other projects to pursue for now. I hope you like my Voices DVD - and thanks for asking!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 AM

Billy -

I've been watching the MD Festival 2000 DVD a lot lately and have found myself repeating your chapter again and again ... I must say I liked your approach both to the talk and to playing... It is all too easy as "drumming technicians" to forget what purpose technique serves and, in pursuit of more/better chops (or by over-emulating our drum heroes), lose sight of the identity *we* should be bringing to the music... Thanks for the reminder! :-)

I just ordered your new CD, BTW ... really looking forward to it!

Cheers,
s0nspark