DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default my new bosphorus cymbals

hello

I've just bought my ride and hats. they are:

bosphorus versa 14 hats

and

bosphorus master 21 ride

and they are GORGEOUS. I hope I'll have some pics soon.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 AM
jayp's Avatar
jayp jayp is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 730
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Sweet , I just made my first bosphorus purchase, a 21" Traditional Med Ride. I just checked UPS and it was delivered today, YAY I GET MY RIDE WHEN IM OFF WORK IN AN HOUR WOOOOT.

Let me know what you think of your new pies.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

what can I say...

I fell in love with master 21 inch ride from the first sound. it is very thin and very dark, shimmering and easy-crashable <when crashed, it sounds like a gong>. very articulate, with lots of dark, but pleasing overtones. very jazzy-sounding to my ear.

I was <and still am> a bit scared about versa hats. they are a bit heavy, loud and cutting, which is rather not good for what I'm playing <jazz and strange electronic stuff>, BUT... they just fulfill my ride <sorry for my english if it's very bad :p> so good. I believe they are very versatile, but I need few days to be sure about it.

to conclude, I'm very happy with them. they were pretty expensive, but still much cheaper than zildjian or sabian. believe me or not, but to my ear they sound ten times better than those well-known ones.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 AM
kung_f00's Avatar
kung_f00 kung_f00 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 528
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Hey, congrats! And welcome to the DW Forum's Bosphorus family.

I've slowly accumulated my Bos collection over the past six months, and currently I have all Traditional series pies: 14" Heavy Hi-Hats, 17" Dark Crash, and 20" Medium Thin Ride. However, I do have a Masters series pie on it's way, but I'm keeping that a secret from most of the forum until my birthday. ;)

I'd love to see pics, but in the meantime, do you have the weights of those two cymbals? I'd like to find a comparable sound on cymbalsonly.com to get a better sense of your newest acquisitions. Thanks, and congrats again.
__________________
When in doubt, bring the funk...

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Hey, congrats! And welcome to the DW Forum's Bosphorus family.

I've slowly accumulated my Bos collection over the past six months, and currently I have all Traditional series pies: 14" Heavy Hi-Hats, 17" Dark Crash, and 20" Medium Thin Ride. However, I do have a Masters series pie on it's way, but I'm keeping that a secret from most of the forum until my birthday. ;)

I'd love to see pics, but in the meantime, do you have the weights of those two cymbals? I'd like to find a comparable sound on cymbalsonly.com to get a better sense of your newest acquisitions. Thanks, and congrats again.
hats are 1050 top and 1300 bottom <yep, they're heavy> and ride is 1880.

I was thinking about getting traditional 14 crisp hats. they were also great - very musical and somehow "soft" when played. however, they were lacking definition and projection when played with my ride, so I decided to buy versa hats.

and there's another reason for getting versa - imho they're extremely beautiful.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Props on the pies man.

I eagerly await the pics.....
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 PM
jayp's Avatar
jayp jayp is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 730
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Right on glad you like your stuff, I love my 21 Trad ride that I just got yesterday, nice wash bell is nice, and very nice crashability, like you said sounds gongish. would deffinatly pick up another bosphorus cymbal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Congrats and as Kung_f00 said, welcome to the DW Bosphorus family. I consider them, along with Istanbul, to be the best cymbals out there. They just have a handmade character that the other 3 can't touch. I do like Sabian, but I'd say that if I couldn't have Bosphorus or Istanbul and had to pick a bigger company, I'd go with Meinl. Their cymbals remember me very much of Bosphorus and Istanbul in that they just have a hand made sound and feel about them, and alot of character.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

I'm happy you got some Bosphoruses. I hope to get a set of Bosphoruses someday. I'll need about $1,600 for what I have in mind, then I figure I could sell my A Customs for around $500.

I hate to harsh your mellow, but you're supposed to put up pictures here. Even Web pictures would be enough, until we can see them on your set. I come here to look at drum porn and I get irritated when it's not there.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Two very very nice cymbals!! Especially that Ride is really lovely!
Can`t wait seeing those pics...

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 PM
tamadrummer132's Avatar
tamadrummer132 tamadrummer132 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 934
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I hate to harsh your mellow, but you're supposed to put up pictures here. Even Web pictures would be enough, until we can see them on your set. I come here to look at drum porn and I get irritated when it's not there.

agreed.


20202020
__________________
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
muauahauha.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-04-2007, 12:26 AM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I'm happy you got some Bosphoruses. I hope to get a set of Bosphoruses someday. I'll need about $1,600 for what I have in mind, then I figure I could sell my A Customs for around $500.

I hate to harsh your mellow, but you're supposed to put up pictures here. Even Web pictures would be enough, until we can see them on your set. I come here to look at drum porn and I get irritated when it's not there.
There was an unwritten rule on a bass guitar forum I used to go on "If you don't post pictures, you don't own it" :)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
There was an unwritten rule on a bass guitar forum I used to go on "If you don't post pictures, you don't own it" :)
sorry for the delay, but there was a problems with my camera.
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 AM
kung_f00's Avatar
kung_f00 kung_f00 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 528
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Beautiful pies!

I'm more for a more 'weathered', obviously second hand Bosphorus, but those look amazing. And very interesting setup, but where are the rest of your cymbals?!
__________________
When in doubt, bring the funk...

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2007, 03:20 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Nice cymbals and the hats are striking. Good job.

Trippy how you have your biggest tom between the two smaller toms. What's up with that?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Beautiful pies!

I'm more for a more 'weathered', obviously second hand Bosphorus, but those look amazing. And very interesting setup, but where are the rest of your cymbals?!
there are no other cymbals :p I've just beginned buying cymbals. I used to own more cymbals, but they were crap. now I'm thinking about getting second ride for my eighteen birthday. anyway, it might sound stupid, but I can really express myself with only ride and hi-hat. maybe I'm somehow "limited", but they just suit me and my style perfect, so I'm not sure I want other cymbals.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 AM
kung_f00's Avatar
kung_f00 kung_f00 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 528
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

DMC: I've seen this kind of setup before, and from what others have told me, it allows you to play it as a four piece comfortably, but you have the extra option of a five piece for more melodic options.

Avey: While I do think that it's fine that you feel you can fully express yourself with only hats and a ride, you might want to consider another cymbal.. maybe a ride that's smaller and easier to crash on? Sometimes when you try to double up on one single ride (riding and crashing consecutively), it sounds messy. Not pushing you to do anything, but you should consider the many tonal options that another cymbal can offer. Plus, it's Bosphorus.. what Bos owner can honestly say they'd stop at two?
__________________
When in doubt, bring the funk...

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-06-2007, 02:55 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
DMC: I've seen this kind of setup before, and from what others have told me, it allows you to play it as a four piece comfortably, but you have the extra option of a five piece for more melodic options.

Avey: While I do think that it's fine that you feel you can fully express yourself with only hats and a ride, you might want to consider another cymbal.. maybe a ride that's smaller and easier to crash on? Sometimes when you try to double up on one single ride (riding and crashing consecutively), it sounds messy. Not pushing you to do anything, but you should consider the many tonal options that another cymbal can offer. Plus, it's Bosphorus.. what Bos owner can honestly say they'd stop at two?
about setup - yes, exactly. in most cases I don't need third tom and I like the feel of four-piece setup, but sometimes <rather rarely in my case> I need the third note.

about cymbals - I want to get another ride, probably the smaller one for, as you said, crashing and more interesting ride patterns with two rides. or maybe a china... and some small thin crash... :p money is the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-06-2007, 03:16 PM
cwignall cwignall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 196
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

That stand with the 2 hanging toms - whats it called - any better pics? not seen that before.

Nice cymabls. Im considering a Bosphorus cymbal or 2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwignall View Post
That stand with the 2 hanging toms - whats it called - any better pics? not seen that before.

Nice cymabls. Im considering a Bosphorus cymbal or 2
I'm not at home, pm me if you want them tomorrow.

that tom stand is built from tom holder mounted on a bass drum and the part of straight cymbal stand I'm not currently using. and there's still clamp and a cymbal holder, so I can mount another cymbal if I want to. it's all made of stock mapex pro m fusion - no additional hardware but throne.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
fourstringdrums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
about setup - yes, exactly. in most cases I don't need third tom and I like the feel of four-piece setup, but sometimes <rather rarely in my case> I need the third note.

about cymbals - I want to get another ride, probably the smaller one for, as you said, crashing and more interesting ride patterns with two rides. or maybe a china... and some small thin crash... :p money is the issue.
I have a 19" Turk Thin Ride that crashes really well...I actually like it more as a crash than as a ride.

I just got done talking to Tony at www.cymbalsonly.com about trying some other series, and one of the cymbals he suggested, was a 19" Thin Antique Ride. They have a nice dry, clear stick sound, but crash really well because they're thinner. I'm thinking of getting one because it's a bit higher pitched than my 19" Turk which I sometimes find to be too low pitched as a single crash.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 AM
AveyTare's Avatar
AveyTare AveyTare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 293
Default Re: my new bosphorus cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I have a 19" Turk Thin Ride that crashes really well...I actually like it more as a crash than as a ride.

I just got done talking to Tony at www.cymbalsonly.com about trying some other series, and one of the cymbals he suggested, was a 19" Thin Antique Ride. They have a nice dry, clear stick sound, but crash really well because they're thinner. I'm thinking of getting one because it's a bit higher pitched than my 19" Turk which I sometimes find to be too low pitched as a single crash.
I was playing two antique rides this week, but didn't like them at all. maybe because of their size <22 inches>, but they were somehow like pans.

and Tony is a great guy. his knowledge is so enbarassive...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com