Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-26-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Pictures from my recent gig

17 October I've played with Kostarev Group, some photos:
http://www.dyor.ru/img/live17106kostarev/index.html
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pictures from my recent gig

Sweet kit! Is that a complete Bozzio set-up or something? That is awesome!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM

HOLY CRAP! you have the opposite idea of a giging kit that i do. i am thinking a 4 or 5 piece is good live with maybe 4 cymbals. lol NICE, i bet that takes like an hour to set up. Specs? (dunno if you could possibly post all those specs before you die)
what kind of music is that? keltic?

-Wes
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM

Wow! I hope you have a drum tech!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:27 PM

That's amazing! Bet it's fun!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Stu_Strib

I think your stands alone are worth more than my entire collection of drum gear.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Wow. If everybody who posts here put all there stuff together in one massive kit, it MIGHT equal the size of that. I bet you have a fair chunk of the Sabian Company's output over the past year up there. Must be very fun to play!

Despite all the gear, you have it set up so the audience has a good view of you and I like that. It must have taken some planning. The drummer is usually the most visually exciting person to watch but often they hide behind toms and cymbals.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 10-26-2006, 10:42 PM

It look's like you have some cymbals ha ? do you have a truck for all your stuff ? i don't think that i could find my self sitting on your throne ... anyways , this is a great set with alot of options... i'll bet you have fun playing this beast !!! by the way ..... do you like Bozzio ? have you heard about him ? hahahaha
take care

Last edited by YAMAHA DRUMMER; 10-27-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
fusssion

I don't want to sound like a putz...because your kit is impressive and you're probably a phenomenal drummer.

But....the first thing that comes to mind (for me) is this:

Why?

It looks just like a Bozzio kit?

Why, meaning.....why try to copy Bozzio? Why not just be yourself?

Sorry, and I don't want to come across the wrong way, but I just dont' understand why people do this type of thing
Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 PM

so because bozzio did it, he shouldn't?

He saw it, tried it, found he loved it....
I can see your point of view to an extent but if the kind of music he's playing probably allows/calls for an arrangement like this then why not?

have you never tried something from a favourite drummers setup? (bit of an extreme comparison i know)
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetley
so because bozzio did it, he shouldn't?

He saw it, tried it, found he loved it....
I can see your point of view to an extent but if the kind of music he's playing probably allows/calls for an arrangement like this then why not?

have you never tried something from a favourite drummers setup? (bit of an extreme comparison i know)
Tetley, like my note says from the beginning, I don't want to come across the wrong way and I'm not trying to rip the guy,...I guess I just don't understand it much...that's me I guess.

Of course, he can try what Bozzio does.....but.....it's TOO exact.....it just doesn't appear to be HIS version of Bozzio's concept...it's like he's trying to copy exactly.

His music very well may call for something "similar" to a Bozzio set up,....but that ?

YES, as a matter of fact, I have "tried" things from inspirational drummers, set up wise....just for fun. But 99.9999% of the time, it'll get modified for "me".
Old 10-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion
Tetley, like my note says from the beginning, I don't want to come across the wrong way and I'm not trying to rip the guy,...I guess I just don't understand it much...that's me I guess.

Of course, he can try what Bozzio does.....but.....it's TOO exact.....it just doesn't appear to be HIS version of Bozzio's concept...it's like he's trying to copy exactly.

His music very well may call for something "similar" to a Bozzio set up,....but that ?

YES, as a matter of fact, I have "tried" things from inspirational drummers, set up wise....just for fun. But 99.9999% of the time, it'll get modified for "me".
It's common for people to have a set that looks much or exactly like the set of someone they admire. There's even a thread here about Bonzo sets and it looks like Bernhard plays a Ringo set.

Even if he's trying to copy another drummer exactly, it may be his version of an exact copy! The person sitting behind the set will be different from the original and that's what really counts.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga
It's common for people to have a set that looks much or exactly like the set of someone they admire. There's even a thread here about Bonzo sets and it looks like Bernhard plays a Ringo set.

Even if he's trying to copy another drummer exactly, it may be his version of an exact copy! The person sitting behind the set will be different from the original and that's what really counts.

www.terrasonus.com
true, and that's a good point. As far as the bonzo and ringo kits go...those are 4 and 5 piece kits, nothing over the top really (except maybe for size in the Bonzo kits) ....

just a different way to look at it, that's all......
Old 10-28-2006, 05:30 PM

I am really imprresed by melodic playing approach of Terry Bozzio. That is why I am using such huge kit.
I have no drumtech, assembling of this kit takes about 2 hours.
Here you can download some examples of my solo playing:

http://klounada.1gb.ru/060429/c.mp3 0.8 mb
http://klounada.1gb.ru/060429/e1.mp3 2.2 mb
http://klounada.1gb.ru/060429/h.mp3 1 mb
http://klounada.1gb.ru/060429/i.mp3 1 mb
http://klounada.1gb.ru/060429/j.mp3 0.9 mb
http://klounada.1gb.ru/060429/l.mp3 3.9 mb
http://klounada.1gb.ru/060429/m.mp3 2.6 mb
Old 10-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Here you can download my first recording with Kostarev Group:
http://www.rapidshare.de/files/32654...9_128.mp3.html
Old 10-29-2006, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a putz...because your kit is impressive and you're probably a phenomenal drummer.

Why?

Sorry, and I don't want to come across the wrong way, but I just dont' understand why people do this type of thing
Why not just admire the kit, listen to the clips, which are very good if you didnt listen, and then move on. The why is for him to decide. I would say in a drum forum, WHY NOT.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:19 AM

I really really really dig your playing. Awesome kit too. More power to you man. Amazing.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:23 AM

That is awesome how much did that cost you

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24312
Old 10-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Why?

Don't play a 5 peice kit, Buddy Rich did that. Dont play a four peice, Gene Krupa did that. What the heck are you talking about? If he wants to play melodic drums a large kit is the only way. And if being yourself means that you cant resemble anyone else, i'll pass on being "original" I dont want to "come across the wrong way", but why be an a$$hole?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

I saw your set on the Sabian forums a few months, and no matter how many times I've seen it, it never losses its impact.

Great job on the recordings too!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer
Don't play a 5 peice kit, Buddy Rich did that. Dont play a four peice, Gene Krupa did that. What the heck are you talking about?
Ok, I'll spell it out for you. I'm not talking about copying a kit that has been "standard" for years and years. Buddy Rich , Krupa, ....basic kits that numerous drummers used, and still use. Bonzo is a little different situation because of his "sizes"...but still at the end of the day,..it's a 5 piece 2 floor tom set up. I'm really referring to people who build a "duplicate" kit of say......Neil Peart,.....Mike Portnoy,...Terry Bozzio, Nikko McBrain, etc, etc......you know....unique big monster kits. I just don't understand this,....and so what,....do I have to understand it? Bobrovsky answered my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer
If he wants to play melodic drums a large kit is the only way. And if being yourself means that you cant resemble anyone else, i'll pass on being "original" I dont want to "come across the wrong way", but why be an a$$hole?
I knew I should have never said anything because of idiots like you! Bobrovsky didn't have anything bad to say to me....as a matter of fact, ....he just simply answered my question, and by answering my question, I'm satisfied. You see, if you took the time to read what I said, I wasn't being an "a$$hole" at all, I was just wondering WHY he did what he did, and that I have a hard time understanding copying someone elses kit instead of doing your own version....etc...etc....Bobrovsky obviously is influenced by his melodic playing and used Bozzio's kit as a starting point, I guess I can buy that.

Remember, this is a forum where you express your opinions, etc, etc.

If the person I'm directing my inquiry too doesn't get upset,...then why should you???

Where is that "rolling eyes smiley" when you need one?

By the way Bobrovsky.....VERY IMPRESSIVE STUFF!!! Keep it up! :)
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 PM

Wow, I really really really really waaaaaant your kit!! I see you are a Sabian fan like me! =D I seriouly digg it! How was the gig?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audun_D
Wow, I really really really really waaaaaant your kit!! I see you are a Sabian fan like me! =D I seriouly digg it! How was the gig?
It was nice!
Unfortunately, due to the time limit we played a shorter program. After this concert a lot of good comments are available in internet (in Russian).
Old 06-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Several new photos from open-air recent gig with Kostarev group.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
but why be an a$$hole?
we don't have to be like this...fussion was just stating his opinion...isn't this called a drum forum? he wasn't knocking Bobrovsky for having a huge setup...he was just asking why. this is one of the reasons i stay away from a bunch of these threads/posts because it turns into a huge boxing match. people need to fully read the posts before jumping on someone's back and ripping into them for stating their opinion.

anyways, Bobrovsky (sorry for the above statements)...WOW...i think you need to get a drum tech! that is one amazing setup and impressive playing. i tip my hat off to you.

any chance of getting the entire specs off you (drums, cymbals, hardware, how much water you consume to keep hydrated while setting up this monster! LOL). best wishes and rock on!

birch
Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Beautiful set up. I can hear Bozzio's influence in your playing. Keep it up!
Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 PM

really nice playing and an amazing kit
solo from 0:52 to 1:25 is my favourite
Old 06-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Love the kit, I bet i cost a bomb but i bet it's bloody fun to play!!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Agreed - awesome playing -- found myself asking (on a couple occasions) "how the #*$% is he doing that?!?" :o

I do find it somewhat disheartening (and yet somewhat amusing at the same time) all the wildy opposing opinions here, and sadly human nature, mixed with the dryness of black-and-white internet text, often leads opinions to get misinterpreted etc. But monitoring a few different threads at the same time, I find a few things highly amusing. Be yourself - set your kit up the way ~you~ like it. (I did!) - if someone else doesn't like it or understand - that's fine, they don't have to play it (or, more appropriately, won't get to play it :) If you find someone else's set you like don't copy it cuz that's copying... -- oh, unless it's a Bonham kit. --Oh and if you be yourself ~too~ much, they'll tell you your tom angles are wrong, and should be like everyone else's. :p At the end of the day, the only one who has any right to care how they look, is you - and I suspect you agree with me - they look friggin' awesome! And based on the way they ~sound~ -- well it really doesn't matter ~how~ they look anyway :-)

I just hope you can find a way to claim all that stuff come tax-time!!! :-)
Old 07-01-2007, 03:10 AM

awesome drums man!

i saw your kit on the sabian forums about a year back (and you were treated pretty badly by those guys)
i wasn't aware you played for kostarev group though! i haven't had the chance to listen but my friends are pretty big into your stuff!

once again awesome kit

Old 07-01-2007, 05:00 AM

While I've never owned a monster kit,I can see that they would be loads of fun to play. Sometimes I think we lose sight of how visual we drummers are to an audience and I think that our brother Bobrovsky realises that. The minute he sits down behind his wonderful rat-warren of cymbals,tubs and gongs he becomes lost in his own world of total percussion and all eyes become focused on him; anybody who has ever purchased a "cage" or multi-purpose rack can easily identify. I have always used gongs,tympani,xylo-pipes,triangles and any other kind of junk that I could tweeze in simply because I feel the need to speak with more than just one voice. The Art of Music is multi-dimensional and (to some of us,) a form of Spirituality. If a keyboard player can surround himself with a bank of 10 to 20 different keyboards,or if a guitar player can use several guitars during a single gig,why can't we drummers have that same option. We are the ones that "drive" the band and are also the ones that are the most watchable whether we play a small kit with few cymbals or a big monolith such as our friend Bobrovsky. Fussion,I don't believe you are a Putz,you asked your question honestly. I think that sometimes we pounce without realising that the beauty of the drumkit is that it can fit any height,weight,body type,or sex and can be expanded upon and contracted at the whim of each player. Unlike those pitiable guitar players who are stuck with just one axe and an amp.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Thank you very much for the comments!
Yesterday we did recording of drum-track for one Kostarev Group song, see some photos here:
http://ratamaque.livejournal.com/276726.html