DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Electric Guitar

I think I have already mentioned this before but I am seriously considering picking up the electric guitar as my 2nd instrument.I know that there are a few guitarists/drummers on the board so any advice/tips would be most appreciated.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Electric Guitar

I know enough to get me arround on a guitar but thats it, if I had choice of second instrument it would be piano or bass, guitar last.

Get involved in forums, and watch videos on youtube, the internet is an amazing tool.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Do it. I've been playing just over a year and I wonder how I managed without it. So much fun. I mainly play acoustic, but I have a decent electric setup as well and it's just awesome. I play probably three to four hours a day. With regards to purchasing your first guitar, make sure you get a quality instrument. Something like an Ibanez SA series would be a good starting point. Yamaha Pacificas are also supposed to be rather good, but I'm a fan of the Ibanez SA series. I don't own one, I own a PRS Santana SE, which is more expensive (I got it for a drastically lowered price) but they are nice. Be VERY careful if buying second hand, there are so many things that could go wrong with a second hand guitar that I wouldn't advise it unless you're with a friend who really knows their mustard.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:26 AM

I agree with MFB....

I started playing guitar when I was 19 yrs old. I started drumming when I was 13 yrs old. I never got as good at guitar as drums, but I love playing it.

I recommend that you purchase a quality instrument and take lessons. Actually, I recommend lessons on both instruments. Playing guitar has helped me immeasurably in my drumming. And playing drums has added to my guitar playing.

Do it...You'll love it!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:56 AM

At the moment I own a Fender Strat. The bassist in my church band gave it to me because it was his old one. I will upgrade once things start progressing. Any things I could do in the meantime that will put me in good stead for future lessons? Plus how could I balance playing both instruments?

Last edited by JCM; 07-04-2007 at 02:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-04-2007, 03:48 AM
Silver Member

Playing multiple instruments is great, but I generally encourage people to stick to one instrument. In the long run, you end up putting all your effort into one and becoming the best you can, and not balancing skill and time between instruments.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:40 AM

Well, if you're serious about guitar, start learning scales, chords, and songs. Playing the drums will have given you some knowledge to start with - don't tense your muscles, practice slow at first, use a metronome, etc. I've never used any actual books to learn guitar, so I can't help you there. Lessons help immensely of course.

I've played guitar for about 5 years, but was never really into it. Now I've found my home with the drums.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:17 AM

Can anyone recommend some good forums for Guitarists?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
Playing multiple instruments is great, but I generally encourage people to stick to one instrument. In the long run, you end up putting all your effort into one and becoming the best you can, and not balancing skill and time between instruments.
Good point. But then again, with hard work and practice you can become equally skilled in both instruments. I know this dude at my college who is an amazing drummer (been playing since he was 2) but he is also an amazing bassist.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
No-one is going to practice drumming 24/7. It's not too difficult to find a few moments a day to work on the guitar... I play several instruments, and practicing them hasn't done any harm to my drumming or the amount of practice I get..
Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
No-one is going to practice drumming 24/7. It's not too difficult to find a few moments a day to work on the guitar... I play several instruments, and practicing them hasn't done any harm to my drumming or the amount of practice I get..
It is has nothing to do with harm, just holding back. I simply suggesting you can be better then you already are if the time that you spent with the other instruments was placed into drumming. Yes you do get an amount of practice, but you could get more is what I am saying. Because eventually, those "moments" add up over say a year, and you are missing out on tons of hours of practice on drumming by balancing some time on other instruments that I would imagine, are not your primary one.

"The more you put into studying drums, the more you get out of it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Good point. But then again, with hard work and practice you can become equally skilled in both instruments. I know this dude at my college who is an amazing drummer (been playing since he was 2) but he is also an amazing bassist.
Hah nice, now just imagine how much more amazing he would be if he stuck to one his whole life? Judging by your praise, I would say maybe even professional.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Fair point but the guy in question has appeared on television (Rtv) and has played on numerous occasions at the Jazz Cafe in London as a drummer. I have decided to reach a level on the drums I am happy with before picking up the electric guitar.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

See, I think drummers compartmentalise themselves too much. We're not just drummers, we're musicians. Why not develop a musical and technical understanding of another instrument? They do complement each other.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Pioneer Member

I used to play guitar first, found it to be boring, then played drums, picked up guitar again, and love it. I've been playing for about a year now andam alright at it. I also play Bass aswell. In September I'll be taking some piano lessons as well. All of this will help you become a better drummer. Go fer it.

Oh, and I also play the Saxamophone.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Pioneer Member

I was watching Steve Jordan's DVD 'The Groove is Here' with my teacher and Steve was talking to this famous country drummer/singer/mandolisnist (forgot the name), but he was saying he liked to play other instrument not only because that its a change from drums, but also 'when you come back your favorite seat, you now know what the other players expect from the drummer and what they're looking for.'
Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
I was watching Steve Jordan's DVD 'The Groove is Here' with my teacher and Steve was talking to this famous country drummer/singer/mandolisnist (forgot the name), but he was saying he liked to play other instrument not only because that its a change from drums, but also 'when you come back your favorite seat, you now know what the other players expect from the drummer and what they're looking for.'
That would be Levon Helm from "The Band". I've watched that DVD more than 100 times this last week, no joke.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
That would be Levon Helm from "The Band". I've watched that DVD more than 100 times this last week, no joke.
Cheers, it's a damn good video. Steve Jordan grooves so hard.