DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Default reso snare head broke..

well I was sittin there playing my drums, and all of a sudden i deside to switch from some skinny sticks to like 5A's or something. After i hit it like 3 times it feels like the head is mush, so i whip off my sound silencing hearing protection gizmo and i hit the drum.

Each hit i can hear it detuning, so i tighten the batter cuz i think its loosening. Then i whip the snare over to tighten the reso cuz its still not fixed and find that my remo ambassador snare reso tore about half circumference along the edge.

I had the head pretty tight.. and it was like 8 months old, but should this have happened? Or has this happened to you?

AND. what new reso head should i get? (i have a 12 x 4 tama steel picolo with a coated g2 batter)
Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 PM
PureRockFury

Default Re: reso snare head broke..

Yeah it should have happened. Snare heads are thin and can be unpredictable at times. A number of variables could come into play why it broke, but we don't need to get into that.

Just get another one and your good to go.

I personally use Diplomat Snare Sides for the extra snare response at all dynamic levels. They also tend to dry the drum out ever so slightly, but no where near to the point of voiding the drum of any character.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Pioneer Member

Snare heads are designed as a thinner head and if you overtighten them this can happens. Or maybe you sat the drum down on something.....or the snare wires rubbed a hole in a spot.

No biggie....

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 06-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

8 months is a reasonable time, especially for a thin snare side head tuned tight.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Evans hazy 300 and remo ambassador snare side are the ones I know of...
Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

i had the same problem with a diplomat snare side head- it wasn't even tightened at all though. Somehow overnight 4 lugs became significantly loosened, so the next day I unscrewed them all and put them back in at even tension- first thing that happens when I hit the drum- bang- the head moreless exploded ripping it in a similar way as described here. I imagine the head was defective as it was only a few days old, and I'm sure the uneven tension, even though just for 12 hours, didn't help.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
I personally use Diplomat Snare Sides for the extra snare response at all dynamic levels. They also tend to dry the drum out ever so slightly, but no where near to the point of voiding the drum of any character.
How can such a thin head (2mil) dry out the sound?? Either you're referring to a diplomat tom head (7mil) or an emperor snare side (5mil). A thicker head like the ones I've mentioned will dry out the sound, not a thinner head.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
PureRockFury

No I'm not referring to either a regular Diplomat or an Emperor Snare Side. I know the difference. I know Remo's catalog inside out including part numbers. IIRC I've helped you out NUMEROUS times on the PDF when it came to heads and their specs.

It dries the drum out simply because the snares become more prominent in the sound due to the thinner mylar film. It's fact. The head is on my 14x5.25 maple/purpleheart stave. It has Gibraltar 20 strand wires. I have used my typical Coated CS over Ambassador Snare Side on it before and it rang like hell because it is a thick stave. Once I put on a brand new Coated CS over Diplomat Snare Side a lot of the ring was gone, more snare sound, which makes the drum as a whole sound thicker, and it sounds wonderful.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
No I'm not referring to either a regular Diplomat or an Emperor Snare Side. I know the difference. I know Remo's catalog inside out including part numbers. IIRC I've helped you out NUMEROUS times on the PDF when it came to heads and their specs.

It dries the drum out simply because the snares become more prominent in the sound due to the thinner mylar film. It's fact. The head is on my 14x5.25 maple/purpleheart stave. It has Gibraltar 20 strand wires. I have used my typical Coated CS over Ambassador Snare Side on it before and it rang like hell because it is a thick stave. Once I put on a brand new Coated CS over Diplomat Snare Side a lot of the ring was gone, more snare sound, which makes the drum as a whole sound thicker, and it sounds wonderful.

Well, I prefer more drum wood and less steel snare, hence an emperor SS for me.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 PM

ohhh noooo it happened again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well: last week i showed my 13" tom to my drumteacher so that he could tune it better then me and when he tuned the reso head he stepped on it and stood on the head with his hole weight and one foot in order to strech it a little... it worked and nothing happened (and he probably is heavier then i am)

today i got a new coated snare head and tuned it... i stretched the head with my weight etc and nothing bad happened. then i tuned the reso head a little higher cause i had not stretched it when i put it on the snare. after that i put a little pressure on it with my hand and there were those "holes" again!!! sh******!

the same thing happened to me like a month ago and everyone told me that there was a big difference of tension which caused it, but this time i really listened and there was the same tune at each lug! and my drum teacher even stood on a reso head and nothing happened.

are snare heads even thinner? its a remo ambassador reso head... and are there different 14" reso heads for snare and toms?
help!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:12 PM

Snare resos are pretty thin. They are different than a tom reso. I don't recall it being recommended to seat the snare reso head similar to other heads, either. I know I've put a serious dent in my snare reso before with just pressure from one finger (I was curious about how thin they really were).

If your reso was on your snare when you stood on the batter, here's what may have happened. The batter is much thicker than the reso, so, when you stood on the batter it stretched some, but, the much thinner reso may have stretched much more. The reso rim sits on the floor. Your weight gets transferred from the batter head into the shell & through the reso into the reso rim. Then you tune it high, stretch it out more, & push on it with your hands. All this may have over stretched the head.

Of course, depending on what weight you have for a snare reso could make a difference. I don't think you need to stand on any head to seat it properly. But, I could be wrong.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

snare reso's are much thinner than tom reso's.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM

hi, thanks for your answer... well at least my snare doesn't sing as much now :D
hey and are there any differences between batter heads for toms and snares? cause i just took some 14" coated ambassador and didn't look whether it's for snare or tom :/
Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by badamfh View Post
hi, thanks for your answer... well at least my snare doesn't sing as much now :D
hey and are there any differences between batter heads for toms and snares? cause i just took some 14" coated ambassador and didn't look whether it's for snare or tom :/
Most heads are not designated for one drum or another. Ambassadors sound great on both toms and snares alike..that goes for most heads until you start getting into 2 ply pre-muffled heads which probably wouldn't sound that great on your snare. There are some snare heads that are designated as snare heads. Evans makes things like the HD Dry, Evans EC Reverse Dot, Power Center Reverse Dot, etc.. which are specifically for snares. That's not to say that you couldn't put them on toms either, but they usually only sell them in 13 & 14" sizes.