DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: The most afrolicious kit.

Thanks for the input.

Mediocrefunkybeat, I'll definetely try that. I was looking at those pics of your setup with one tom on the left just recently and I wanted to do something similar. Now that I have my second clamp I'm finally able to do this. I like the distance to my ride though. It's not as far away as it looks and if it were any closer it would probably be less comfortable to play.

Guadruple Groove, yes the new Alpha Hats are very nice and not expensive at all. At least if you compare them to mostly worse sounding A-Custom/AAX/insert expensive line here Hats which cost about twice the money. That's only my experience but I'd suggest you should definetely check them out. The only hats I found to be similar or better sounding when I tested about 20 pairs were some higher UFIP line, Sabian EQ (i especially liked the looks but the sound was nice too) and some Paiste Signature hats. All of those would've been more than 300 and the alphas were abput 150.

hauk, I like the EC2s, they're definetely good heads but they didn't astonish me as the EMAD did, so probably there are heads I'd like more, if I just had the chance to try them all.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 PM

Little update, things are gonna change soon, I'm gonna move into my very own small residence (well, a students' living community to be honest) and probably won't be able to keep my drumset. Perhaps I'll lend it to a friend or something like that, it's pretty sad still.
Totally offtopic, but I'm gonna write my first "Abitur" (German school leaving examination) test tomorrow (maths) and I'm just a tiny bit excited....
Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrolicious View Post
Totally offtopic, but I'm gonna write my first "Abitur" (German school leaving examination) test tomorrow (maths) and I'm just a tiny bit excited....
Oh...I know, off-topic but good that you mention it! Hey, I wish you all the best, good luck my friend! Maths isn`t easy really...

PS: Oh god, if I imagine that I`ll do my A-levels as well, just in a few years. Man, I`m so excited!! :-[

Take care,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:41 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrolicious View Post
Well, to be honest it's just an old powerstroke 3 on the 10' tom that I got from a friend who bought new heads because new cymbals seemed way more important to me at the moment.
I like the sound of it, and I even got a good sound out of the 14' tom with the stock head, but it's tuned pretty high now so that I can't get a nice sound for my 12' tom between the other two. So what I'm planning to do is, getting new heads for the 12' and 14' toms. I was thinking about either Powerstroke 3 or Evans Genera 2 or do you have any other suggestions which heads would give me a nice sound for some Funk, Rock and a little harder stuff?

P.S.:Thanks for all the comments!
Hey i know its pretty futile to comment since you now have your heads...but maybe for future reference....I have a Sonor force 2005...i love it...i also play Funk,jazz and some other crazy stuff...if your interested heres my ideal skins for them:

Snare: Aquarian coated with the powerdot(inside?)
Toms: Remo coated ambassadors on batter,pinstripes on reso..
bass: Remo powerstroke 3

if your changing again check out those configs....give the kit lovely depth and sound....especailly for the likes of funk and jazz....!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks to both of you, Karl, I can tell you it's all very relaxed right now, because they had to make the "Landesabitur" easy enough for all those mediocre schools and I'm on one of the better (and harder) schools. I wrote my English test today and it was easier than most of the regular tests I did on my school the last three years. They might make it harder the next years though, because everyone thinks it's pretty easy.

da cheese walks, thanks for your suggestions, I'm happy with my heads right now and I don't know if I'm going to be able to play much in the future so the next head change might take a while. Still, an insteresting combination, I have never heard of the resonant head being a more muffled head than the batter head.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Update: The most afrolicious kit. PORK PIE SNARE

So after finishing my Abitur (graduation from school, like A-Levels) I got myself a pretty snare. In Germany Pork Pie is pretty unknown so I could get this from ebay for only 140!
It's a 12x5 maple snare built in 2002. The heads it came with look like they're five years old as well, I'm sure the reso is because it's a stock pork pie and you don't get those heads 'round here. It sounds pretty nice already, but I hope I can tickle out some more life with new heads. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Nice snare!

A 12x5 is going to be very high pitched, I'm thinking perhaps something like an Evans Genera Dry. I use a Remo Ambassador on my 13x6.5 Musashi, which is a lovely head and it brings out all the aspects of your playing. It depends if you want the head to be slightly dampened (a drum this size might have some 'ring') or would you rather there were some ring?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Thx for your comment. Since my brich snare has a Evans HD Dry on it, I already have a focused, dry, slightly dampened sound in my repertoire, so with this high quality drum I'd really love to bring out as much of the character as possible. Yes it does have some nice ring to it and I love ring on a snare, so I'll probably try an ambassador or some other single ply head. The Evans EC1 Coated looks interesting as well and it would fit my EC2s on toms.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Silly question...but do you fellows in Germany get the Sonor drums at a good price since they are made there??
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 PM

They're not much cheaper then anywhere else. Especially now that the exchange rate is about 1,35 $/ the price in for Sonor drums in Germany equals more $ than the price in the US. (I hope this makes sense)