DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-09-2007, 05:04 PM
ermghoti ermghoti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 635
Default Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

I am experimenting with heads for my Tama Starclassic Performer kit. I just got the add-on pieces (12x14 and 14x16 floors, as it was a fusion style kit before), and I'm ready to get the thing all headed up. I have always been happy with the kick, with a PS3 and a logo front, the others are a work in progress.

Anyway, I grabbed some 10" and 14" heads at GC, and started swapping. In general, the drums seem a bit bright and attacky/sticky to me, the stock G2/G1 combo on the new floors clicked like a metal kick. To make a long story short, I thought the combination of a PS3 with the G1 on the 14" floor sounded pretty awesome, dark, round, boomy, but a good dose of resonance from the single-ply bottom The GC boob had sold me a PS3 with a dot, which I had told him I didn't want, so I thought a PS3 with no dot would allow some overtones into the sound, and end up just about right. I mentioned this at my local shop, and he looked at me like I had suggested masturbating with a handfull of Ben-Gay and ground glass to a picture of Bea Arthur. He thinks Pins are the way to go. I thought of Pins as more muted than a PS3, so I'm perplexed.

Do my ears need to grow accustomed to these drums, or has anybody tried such a setup, or what? I'd like to provide some business for my local guy, he only stocks Remo.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 PM
MadJazz MadJazz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 659
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

Quote:
I thought of Pins as more muted than a PS3, so I'm perplexed.
Is it?

I'm curious about PS3 on toms, seems promising as it won't need any moongel or other muffling with the built in ring. Question is, does the PS3 ring muffle as much / more / less than an external muffling device on an unmuffled head.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
tubbyadam tubbyadam is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

I'm not 100% on the PS3's, but I had PS4 coated batters with coated ambassador resonants on my Pearl BRX drums and those were by far the best match up for my drums. The trouble is getting those heads as they aren't stocked very often. The tone was still quite resonant with the ambassadors but it was a dry resonance, or less overtones I guess. I'd think that the PS3's would be a good way to go as they are not quite as dense sounding, being single ply and all. If you're like me, and you don't care much for the high end overtones, I think birch drums with either of the PS heads will sound good. But, either way the tone will be fairly dark. If you're trying to get away from the "clicky" or attack heavy sound, don't use clear heads as coated seem to mellow out the attack a little.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
ermghoti ermghoti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 635
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

Hm, maybe I'll insist, then. Availability isn't an issue, as I'll have to order them regardless, 20" and 8" aren't at the shop. The PS3 head was coated, should have mentioned that. I also had a coated Emporer 14" which is good, not clicky, but still a little bright. Maybe coated Emps on the racks and PS3 coated on the floors? The guy at the shop doesn't like the idea of mixing heads on different toms, but I know people do it.

I haven't tried external muffling, I'll do a coated Amb with tape vrs PS3 vrs Emp deathmatch next time.

Of course, I'm spending so much time diddling with heads and tuning that I'm not getting anywhere in my lessons, which is why I'd like to be done with it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
I am experimenting with heads for my Tama Starclassic Performer kit. I just got the add-on pieces (12x14 and 14x16 floors, as it was a fusion style kit before), and I'm ready to get the thing all headed up. I have always been happy with the kick, with a PS3 and a logo front, the others are a work in progress.

Anyway, I grabbed some 10" and 14" heads at GC, and started swapping. In general, the drums seem a bit bright and attacky/sticky to me, the stock G2/G1 combo on the new floors clicked like a metal kick. To make a long story short, I thought the combination of a PS3 with the G1 on the 14" floor sounded pretty awesome, dark, round, boomy, but a good dose of resonance from the single-ply bottom The GC boob had sold me a PS3 with a dot, which I had told him I didn't want, so I thought a PS3 with no dot would allow some overtones into the sound, and end up just about right. I mentioned this at my local shop, and he looked at me like I had suggested masturbating with a handfull of Ben-Gay and ground glass to a picture of Bea Arthur. He thinks Pins are the way to go. I thought of Pins as more muted than a PS3, so I'm perplexed.

Do my ears need to grow accustomed to these drums, or has anybody tried such a setup, or what? I'd like to provide some business for my local guy, he only stocks Remo.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I have used the PS3 with some good results; I liked them!

You can get them online from:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...&storeId=10051

or call them at


1-800-IN-A-BAND


Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 AM
ermghoti ermghoti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 635
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJazz View Post
Is it?

I'm curious about PS3 on toms, seems promising as it won't need any moongel or other muffling with the built in ring. Question is, does the PS3 ring muffle as much / more / less than an external muffling device on an unmuffled head.
Oops. Remo lists the PS3 as less sustain/darker than Pins. My bad.

Still dithering instaed of buying, I'm hopeless.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
Oops. Remo lists the PS3 as less sustain/darker than Pins. My bad.

Still dithering instaed of buying, I'm hopeless.
What's funny is I have tried both of these heads on my DW collectors' toms and thought that the PS 3 sustained more. And you can get these from Interstate music through their website!



Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM
ZDrums24 ZDrums24 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 263
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

I have a seven peice starclassic performer as well (10 12 14 16 racks, 18 floor). I found the g1/g2 combination great. the only change ive made so far is switching over to coated g2s for the band i was in at the time (i just heard a coated sound for them). My only issue so far is that i find my 18" a bit choked at times, as well as my 16". i usually solve this with some fine tuning (such big drums have such a small tuning sweet spot). Ive also considered going to a thicker batter (though im not sure if there is one) for some more punch in the two bottom drums at times.

I am a complete ignoramus with remo, but i know alot of evans heads have a remo counterpart. evans makes a special floor tom reso last i checked. does remo?

as far as the drums themselves go, ones of this quality shouldnt really present you problems in tonal quality. the birch has a ton more inherent attack and punch than your typical maple kit, plus its a hell of a lot darker. the trade off is that they dont sustain nearly as long. the new hollow floor tom feet help reverse this (my 18 can generate some killer resonance, but it is short lived). the click may have been that the heads just werent quite right (batter too loose?) like i said, some of these drums have very narrow tuning ranges due to their size.
__________________
'Tis my band
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 AM
ermghoti ermghoti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 635
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

I chickened out: just ordered coated Emperors for all the toms. I think I'll be able to tune them to what I want, based on my experiments. I'll try tightening up the batter head on the floors until the thwack dies down, and see where I end up for pitch after tuning the reso in relation.

Remo doesn't have a FT-specific reso, to my knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2007, 04:38 AM
ZDrums24 ZDrums24 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 263
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

could some of that thwack just be a sound you hear? I know much of my kit sounds differently from behind than from the front and different from 6 feet away than it does from 30 feet, depending on the room. my 18" sounds choked in my basement just for a sheer lack of room to develop its sound as well.

try changing your environment when you mess with tuning, and have some one hit the drums for you at a distance. My floor toms are kinda 'thwacky' up close, but they have a lot of body to the audience.
__________________
'Tis my band
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
ermghoti ermghoti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 635
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

I'm a rookie drummer, but I've played guitar for 18 years, so I've spent enough time on both sides of kits to know exactly what you mean. There are three drummers in the band I'm in, so I have heard others hit my floors, I really did feel the G2's were clicky. I'll try tightening them up a little, it did sound a lot like that "just tighter than wrinkled" kick tuning.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2007, 02:34 AM
ermghoti ermghoti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 635
Default Re: Am I Off Base?: PS3 Content

Thanks for all the replies. Based on the responses, and some experimentation, I got coated Emperors or clear Ambassadors, which are sounding great. I also splurged and got the new and awesome aged white Starclassic logo heads for the kicks, they look delicious on my Indigo drums and deliver a punishing sound with the PS3's.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com