DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Default drum dial what is your setting ??

I got my new Mapex M Birch today and also a Drum Dial to help me, as I am newb and didnt know where to start with tuning. I have all the stock heads on (I will replace whern I have the cash) I have used the Drum Dial and used the settings in the instructions..so my Toms 75 for top and 74 for bottom but I think they sound way to high so got me wondering what other peoples settings are ??

Regards

A J
Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: drum dial what is your setting ??

[quote=invasion;324917]I got my new Mapex M Birch today and also a Drum Dial to help me, as I am newb and didnt know where to start with tuning. I have all the stock heads on (I will replace whern I have the cash) I have used the Drum Dial and used the settings in the instructions..so my Toms 75 for top and 74 for bottom but I think they sound way to high so got me wondering what other peoples settings are ??

Regards

Ive read a massive thread on this forum about drum dial & the tama whatsitsface. Search for it as people have shared tuning settings on that although i think starting a new thread for tuning settings alone is a great idea that was mentioned on that thread. Im about to change heads so will put mine down in the next week.

I will mention that i only really use the drum dial as a template to record roughly what the tuning is once i hit the spot. You should fine tune by ear as there not perfect but are a bloody got reference point

I do know my pearl ian paice sigature steel snare is

B-88ish R-80 spot on

There remo ambassadors
Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

I tried finding that thread a short while back and couldn't.

I like my rack toms around the 75 range, for both top and bottom. That's where I start then I tweak. Different types of heads will have different readings, so keep that in mind. Putting 75 on two heads with different weights and/or plies may not give you the same pitch, even though the number is the same.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:12 AM

75/74 is way too high, eh?

My snare is 90/86. My 12" tom is I think 81 over 83. 13" tom...well, its kind of out of commission for the moment, but its about 78 over 80. 16" is 75 over 77.

I like my toms to sing and not sound like I'm beating on a piece of plastic.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:14 AM

I think you got me and the original poster mixed up. Or you misunderstood my first sentence expressing my surprise that 75/74 was too high for him.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimor View Post
I think you got me and the original poster mixed up. Or you misunderstood my first sentence expressing my surprise that 75/74 was too high for him.
Doh! I'm sorry. I wasn't paying close attention. I thought you were the thread starter and was responding to my post.

... off to edit previous post... lol
Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Pioneer Member

My Drumdials not working right now. It gives all readings at a 50-65 ish level instead of in the 70s. If I got up to 65+ it sounds like a marching snare. Im not really sure what to do about it.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
My Drumdials not working right now. It gives all readings at a 50-65 ish level instead of in the 70s. If I got up to 65+ it sounds like a marching snare. Im not really sure what to do about it.
I know this is a silly question, but have you tried to re-zero it? You could always turn the face so that what reads as 60 now, will read as 70.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Retuned my kit this morning all to 75 as a starting point..worth mentioning make sure you Zero your Drum Dial before tuning each drum when you first get dial.

I think I was wrong in saying it is to high... I think what I dont like is the continued ring would like a more dead sound so it doesnt ring on for so long if that makes sense ?? when I put my finger on the batter head while striking it sounds just right. How do I acheive this sound ?? do I use tape or somthing or would a change of head be the best bet

Regards
A J
Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM

What heads are the batter heads you have on at the moment? You say they are stock, are they 1ply or 2ply? Either way tho, you will probably be best to swap them for something 2ply like Emporers, G2's or maybe EC2's if you want a bit deader sound. Get some moongel for a quick inexpensive fix to deaden overtones.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 PM

The stock heads are Remo UT series non coated to be honest I am new to all of this so not sure if they are 1ply or 2ply if somone could explain this to me would be much appreciated.

I will go and pick up some moongel see if that does the trick thanks :)

Regards
A J
Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM

I think Remo UT's are cheap Chinese (or Taiwanese?) single ply heads so its unlikely you are ever going to get a great sound from them, moongel may help to ge them sounding ok but still may not give you a great sound. When you get the chance, swap the batter heads for a standard 2ply head (Remo Emporers or Evans G2's or even Aquarian Response 2's if you can find them) or a pre-muffled 2ply head to give a little bit more of a dampened sound (Remo Pinstripe or Evans EC2). The Remo UT on the reso side may still hold you back tho so if they still sound a bit poor with new batter heads swap the resos for some standard single ply heads (Remo Ambassadors or Evans G1's).
Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Hmmm I think I a going tohave to get some new heads I got some Moongel it has made some difference but still not that keen on the sound..whould it help if I took tension down to somthing like 65 o0r would that be to low ???
Old 06-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

65 is pretty slack, but I think my floor tom batters may be close to that, or closer to 70. It gives them a nice low and punchy sound. Definitely change the stock heads. It will make a world of difference.

The best thing you could do is just experiment. Even everything out at a certain tension, then slowly move up through the range listening closely to the change in sound. When you hear something you like, look at the number you are close to. The Drum Dial has really helped my ears. I can start tuning up one of my toms, and out of curiosity I'll check it with the DD to see that I've gotten pretty close in evening everything out and see that I've done a decent job.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
I tried finding that thread a short while back and couldn't find it.
You know what i was reading it the other day after searching for something & now i cant find it for love nor money!!!! Dont you just hate it when that happens.... im sure i was searching for drum tuning or something.... doh....
Old 06-23-2007, 06:27 AM

tuning by ear is always the best way to go.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

There's a huge DD thread stickied in the Harmony Central Drum Forum.

Anyway, I finally re-headed my whole kit, took me about three hours (seven pieces), including tightening all the hardware mounting screws. I started by checking the existing tuning with a DD, which showed close to recommended settings, and a range of 3 lbs or so between lugs on drums I had bothered to keep tuned (I was set-up as a 4 piece, sort of). Re-tuning the old heads to a single DD setting yeilded much cleaner and tunefull sounding drums. I picked a couple of representative drums, and tuned them by a combination of ear and Dial, meaning that I gave it a quick and dirty tuning to get close to the sound I wanted, cleaned up my tuning with the Dial, and then tuned up and down a few notches to check the result.

On my Starclassic Performers with coated Emps over clear Ambs, I got 75 over 72 on the mounted toms, and 79 over 75 on the floors. I havn't Dialed the kick, because it was much easier to leave it in place and tune it by ear. The Dial told me my original tuning extremely variable from lug to lug, so I might clean it up and see if it improves now that I have it about where I want it. My Supraphonic is about 80 over 85, IIRC.

Oddly, on the batter for the 12", I had to fix the Drum Dial's tuning: two of the opposed lugs needed to disagree with the Dial by several pounds to tune right, the hoop might be bent.

Once I am sure I'm at an optimal setting, I can jot down my tunings, and retune silently in a few minutes. I anticipate my next re-head would scarcely take an hour, mostly seating.