DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Default VIC FIRTH AMERICAN JAZZ

I just got a pair of the AJ1 in hickory...great sticks. I can recommend these for anyone wanting a great feeling pair of sticks with a controlled feel and sound. They are like 5As but with a bit smaller tip....the others AJ3, etc. were nice too. I'm sure the maple versions are fantastic too. Just wanted to put that news out there for anyone looking for new sticks to try...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: VIC FIRTH AMERICAN JAZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I just got a pair of the AJ1 in hickory...great sticks. I can recommend these for anyone wanting a great feeling pair of sticks with a controlled feel and sound. They are like 5As but with a bit smaller tip....the others AJ3, etc. were nice too. I'm sure the maple versions are fantastic too. Just wanted to put that news out there for anyone looking for new sticks to try...
How is the durability?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Pioneer Member

AJ6 for me. You get the most absolutley perfect cymbal sound from them. They also have the absolute best feel from any stick i have ever felt.

I highly recoment these to every jazz drummer out there. They are light, yet give a decent punch.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
KARL MEMBER

Mhhh, first I wanted to go for those American Jazz sticks but then I dedected the SD4 Combo...and I went for these.
However, after I was playing hickory sticks for a long time I decided to try maple...and I love this wood.
I couldn`t find the maple versions of the American Jazz line...can someone give me the link please?

Also, the head of the American Jazz sticks seem to be pretty big...mhh, I think I have to try them again.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Mhhh, first I wanted to go for those American Jazz sticks but then I dedected the SD4 Combo...and I went for these.
However, after I was playing hickory sticks for a long time I decided to try maple...and I love this wood.
I couldn`t find the maple versions of the American Jazz line...can someone give me the link please?

Also, the head of the American Jazz sticks seem to be pretty big...mhh, I think I have to try them again.

Karl
The head of the jazz sticks seem big? Do you mean the tip? If so, they are actually really small.
Good choice on the SD4 Karl. I have those sticks too, really great. They are real light, but good for rock funk and jazz too. They are great.

Edit- But i prefer the AJ6 just because it is waaaaayyy more bouncy and easier to get clean roles with.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
The head of the jazz sticks seem big? Do you mean the tip? If so, they are actually really small.
Good choice on the SD4 Karl. I have those sticks too, really great. They are real light, but good for rock funk and jazz too. They are great.

Edit- But i prefer the AJ6 just because it is waaaaayyy more bouncy and easier to get clean roles with.
Yeah, the tip seems big...but okay, I guess just on the pics...
Those SD4 are actually very light and nice to handle but then again they don`t feel like drum sticks which are too bouncy. I like their natural feel. Though, if there is a maple version of the American Jazz line I`ll go for a pair I think. Just to have a second light pair...

but wow, it seems that the stick industry wants to throw away finger work and hand/finger strength...I mean, look at those old drum sticks from the 50`s...or even earlier!

I just don`t like those marketing descriptions for the sticks, I mean it is a modified piece of wood, it is no magic wand.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Pioneer Member

These AJ1s are like 5As but with more taper and a smaller tip, feel better than the new 5As. These are the biggest of the AJ series too...
BTW: another fun stick to have is the SD5 Echo...you really can't appreciate this until you try it.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah. I play the AJ3's and AJ6's. I tend to alternate between those depending on the cymbal sound I'm looking for at the moment. I like the AJ6's for light Bossa Nova stuff.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Pioneer Member

The maple versions are the Promark Jazz Cafe ones. For some reason I though Vic Firth made maple sticks like that too. They do make the classic models 5as and whatnot in maple now=American Heritage series.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 PM

I used to use the AJ3s but i can't find them in stores anymore. Do you guys special order them?