DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Default The new guys set...

Yeah im new here. Already introduced myself in the intro thread so i thought id put some pics up of my set for everyone to see.

The set...

My snare...

Hope u all approve. Its not the best set ever but for a beginner set it works just fine. And with the new Evans heads i got it sounds pretty good too. Next upgrades will be some cymbals and a double bass. Oh and can anyone reccommend a good cymbal pack and/or double bass pedal?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The new guys set...

I think I'll get to it before everyone else does.
TOM ANGLES. :)
Try and keep them close together and flat.
It must be ridiculously uncomfortable doing fills with your toms so far apart and awkwardly angled. Take a look at some of the other member's sets.
However, it is a nice finish :)
I've never heard of Silvertone?

As far as recommending good cymbal packs, what's your budget?
You can get a set of Sabian AAs for about 600$ Canadian (including tax)
Or a set of Zildjian ZXTs for 300$ Canadian.
Personally, I'd go for the AAs, cause the ZXTs just sound awful.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemaster_flex View Post
I think I'll get to it before everyone else does.
TOM ANGLES. :)
Try and keep them close together and flat.
It must be ridiculously uncomfortable doing fills with your toms so far apart and awkwardly angled. Take a look at some of the other member's sets.
However, it is a nice finish :)
I've never heard of Silvertone?

Thanks. Yeah i tried keeping then flat for a while but i keep hitting the sticks on the rims so i tilted then like that. Im going to be playing alot today so i think ill try putting them flat again and putting the seat up higher or something...as for uncomfortable..guess ive kinda gotten used to it...

Im looking to spend $200USD on a fairly decent pack. I dont play for a band so im not really looking for something that will blow people away but i want them to sound good. I was thinking of Sabian AA's cus they have them up here for about $160. Just wanted to see what u guys reccommend.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Try setting your throne a bit higher?
How tall are you?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Try setting your throne a bit higher?
How tall are you?
Im somewhere around 5'6"
Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 PM

well...listen to groovemaster_flex. He knows what he's talking about. and yes, go for the aa- cymbals:)
Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

AA's. Do NOT buy low level Zildjians; they are complete junk.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Is your floor tom really that far to your right when you sit at the kit, or is it just moved over for picture-taking purposes?

And I second the Sabian AA's, they are excellent. I have a couple on my kit (although some are AAX's).
Old 06-12-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Is your floor tom really that far to your right when you sit at the kit, or is it just moved over for picture-taking purposes?

And I second the Sabian AA's, they are excellent. I have a couple on my kit (although some are AAX's).
It was...its closer now. I moved everything around after groovemaster told me to move my toms. Ive got it all closer together now. My room is pretty small and when i was setting it up i tried to get it as close to the corner as possible to avoid wasting space. I never really used it until a few months ago and that pic was taken about 6 months ago so...most of the music i played before was just beginners stuff. I havent really started to play with all of the drums until recently. Thank to gm_f its alot better now. :) Just got done playing a little of american idiot and it feels much better.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:28 AM
larlev

looks good hawk.....learn your rudiments and practice, practice, practice

Sabian xs20's are also a good cymbal pack...not sure what retail is...$200-$250 I would guess..these are the same exact alloy that the AA's and AAX's are made from just not finished the same....my advice buy what you can afford and let your ears develop a sense for what you like and don't like...because frankly at this point ANY cheaper cymbal pack will be just fine for now...
Old 06-12-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
looks good hawk.....learn your rudiments and practice, practice, practice

Sabian xs20's are also a good cymbal pack...not sure what retail is...$200-$250 I would guess..these are the same exact alloy that the AA's and AAX's are made from just not finished the same....my advice buy what you can afford and let your ears develop a sense for what you like and don't like...because frankly at this point ANY cheaper cymbal pack will be just fine for now...
yeah...i dont play in a band and im still learning the advanced stuff so i see no real reason to go for high dollar cymbals right now...
Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

AAs aren't exactly expensive if you buy them in a set.
I was thinking the same way you did when I bought my first set of cymbals.
"Oh, they'll do for now, I can buy a better set of cymbals later."
*sigh* Not a smart idea.
You'll be stuck with a horrid sounding set of cymbals for a while.
Besides, better sounding kit will make you want to practice more, yes?
With my ZXTs (ggaaaahhhh...) I hated the sound of the ride so much, I just wanted to stop playing.
Get good cymbals! Even if you look on ebay, or get them used.
Anyways.
Just throwing in my two cents.
*chucks two pennies at hawk*
Have fun playing =)

Edit: Oh yeah. Forgot about XS20s. I actually think the XS20 ride sounds really good for it's price. And in Canada, I think it retails at about 350$??? Not sure, but it's not a whole lot more expensive than ZXTs and sounds waaayyyy better.

Last edited by groovemaster_flex; 06-12-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: ADDING STUFF!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 PM

thnx gm Im heading up to the local music store today to pick up a practice pad abd some other odds and ends so i think i might look and see what they have on sale. The place up here has HUGE markdowns sometimes. They had a Iron Cobra DB pedal reg $500 or something for $250...maybe i can find a deal on some AA's.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 PM

I was thinking about getting an iron cobra then i realized that the iron cobra would eat up all my money up so then i looked into the pearl 122 double pedal. Because of its price i was thinking that it was going to be a piece of Crap but after i got it out and got it all set up it was perfect! It could blow my 1st pedal out of the water! HAHA! There are many things to adjust on it including spring tension of course, beater angle, powershifter and many more! Once you adjust it to your likings which will take some time its Excellent! I would strongly reccommend this to beggining and developing drummers! GET IT!

Last edited by tooldrums1000; 06-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:01 AM

hey hawk, welcome to DW. nothing wrong with your kit, play what ya brung is my motto. I saw some earlier advice on cymbals that was very good. Hold out for some nicer cymbals if you can, as they are more of an investment for the future. It's fine to have "practice" cymbals, but I like to treat it like a treasure hunt. Go to the local music store and hit some. See what sounds you like. Then make yourself a budget and start collecting. I have bought a few on ebay at great prices, you just have to shop. One thing I will say is when I find something I like, I always give the local drum shop the first shot at the sale. I will pay a little more to buy locally and support the local shop. As you become a regular at a shop and get to know the peole there, you may get better deals. Good luck! there is a wealth of info on this site to keep you busy for a long while. Use the search to find what you are looking for, saves time!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigG View Post
hey hawk, welcome to DW. nothing wrong with your kit, play what ya brung is my motto. I saw some earlier advice on cymbals that was very good. Hold out for some nicer cymbals if you can, as they are more of an investment for the future. It's fine to have "practice" cymbals, but I like to treat it like a treasure hunt. Go to the local music store and hit some. See what sounds you like. Then make yourself a budget and start collecting. I have bought a few on ebay at great prices, you just have to shop. One thing I will say is when I find something I like, I always give the local drum shop the first shot at the sale. I will pay a little more to buy locally and support the local shop. As you become a regular at a shop and get to know the peole there, you may get better deals. Good luck! there is a wealth of info on this site to keep you busy for a long while. Use the search to find what you are looking for, saves time!
Thanks man, i already feel at home here. Not many good drum forums around.

Aight for my list of things to get next (in order of purchase):

practice pad
Sabian AA pack
double bass pedal
maybe some new heads

Somewhere in there will be some accessories such as stick bag/holder, bass drum muffler, drum silencers, and maybe some other stuff. If anyone wants to throw in some other items that may be of use feel free.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

why in the world would you silence you drums?

put the new heads before the double bass pedal. Trust me its worth it.

GET A METRONOME!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Big_Philly

I agree with maddrummr, get new heads first. Then look for a double bass pedal. For a good double pedal at a decent price I can recomment the Pearl P122TW (the powershifter twin pedal) or a Tama Powerglide standard twin pedal. They're not the top of the line pedals but don't let that fool you. I was used to a Tama Iron Cobra when I got my Powershifter, and I barely noticed the difference after I set the spring to my preferred tightness.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 PM

I need drum silencers because i cant practice as much as id like due to my brother complaining about it so i need something to make it a little quieter. I already bought new heads but i might end up buying some new ones at the end of the summer.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

he said he was a beginner... your thinkin AA's?..haha. if your thinkin about sabian, at Guitar Center has a good deal on some B8's. and my Taye Double Bass Pedal is a good deal also at Music 123 i think it is around $170..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...ull_sku=445242

Quote:

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-19-2007, 04:01 PM

Yeah but spendin more now saves in the long run,good cymbals will last a lifetime (depending on the player),why buy crappy cymbals then good cymbals later? the best thing to do is go to a shop see what you like pedal wise and cymbal wise. I agree the AAs are a good choice or AAX are brilliant too,a wise investment. As madddrummer says,get a metronome too,not expensive and very important for practise.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

ive had my B8's for 3 years...i have better cymbals but i still have a couple B8's up and i play them hard...and they havent cracked..i might be lucky but still!?
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY