DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Hey Dr. Hook. How are ya? Wow. I can really appreciate your passion for Neil Peart, as I am also a HUGE fan of his. But let me put it in prespective what you say here. A little more of a realistic take on NP:

1.) No. He's not the "greatest" of all time. Neither technically or creatively. Great as he is, that would certaintly be more describing Buddy Rich.

2.)No. He hasn't influenced more than Buddy or Bonham. Though he definitely has influenced many, many drummers. Me included.

3.)No. He hasn't lost "perfection" over the years. Don't confuse adaption with ability. And his creativity has changed, not lessened. I believe his family comes first, especially after what happened to him about 10 years ago(loss of his daughter and wife in less than a year). And his music is 2nd on his list of importance. It IS his bread and butter, ya know. His drumming and his song writing. As far as "somethings gotta give"... well... He still gives 100% of himself in whatever he is involved in. And soon you'll be seeing him in the movies, also. So stay tuned...

4.)Let's not compare Neil to the drummers of today. Adler and Barker are very accomplished in what they do with their style and ability. They are different in almost every way than NP. And, by the way, not that it's a big deal, but Neil Peart is 54 yrs. old, not 55. He'll turn 55 yrs. old on Sept. 12, 2007.

5.)Yes. Neil Peart has definitely earned the title "The Professor". Perfect name for his ability at drumming and writing.

6.)Yes. Subdivisions is a fantastic song. One of my all-time-favorite Rush songs. But to say it's the best song to play along with ever...well, you may get some to disagree with you on that.

Anyway, it sounds like your a true NP fan, so that would make ME a Dr. Hook fan. Thanks for your post about NP... Play On!
I am also a Neil fan. My 2nd biggest influence definatly. I wanted to address a couple of things that you put into "Persrective" for Dr. Hook;
The first thing he said is "IMO". In his oppinion Neil is the greatest. How can you say his oppinion is wrong? Putting in "IMO" tells me he does not expect everyone to agree w/him.
The next one is; How do you know Neil hasnt influenced more people then Buddy, or Bonham? Bonham was w/Zepp for just over a decade. Neil has been w/Rush for over three decades. You do the math.
Anyway, Its all oppinion when you get right down to it. Nothing personal.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
fusssion

Off topic, but I don't know where else to put this....

I was answering another NP question for his snare drums and ran across this site, and wanted to share it!

http://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_drumkits.htm

What I found interesting was this.....remember back for Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures when NP used Evans "Looking Glass" heads on the top and Hydraulic Blues on the bottom?! Practically unheard of today...but....

Browse the site,...it's great.....
Old 02-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Neil Peart-The Analog Kid

I'm listening to The Analog Kid from Signals right now. I can't believe how great a track it is to this day. It's not one of Rush's more popular songs nor is it a real Peart fill showcase, but I think it's the best straight forward track he ever did. On this (and on all of Signals for that matter) you can really hear him "digging-in and smacking the snare.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:47 AM
michael drums

Default Re: Neil Peart-The Analog Kid

Hey Pocketman! Yea, that drum track was unique for Neil back then. And "Signals" is one of those albums that you can pick up more and more of his amazing fills and intricate time changes, each time you listen to it...EVEN to this day! I personally can't get enough of "Subdivisions" and "The Weapon". That bass foot in "The Weapon" is sick. I love how it's just constant throughout the entire song...never wavering! And "Subdivisions" is just a fantastic example of Neil Pearts' legendary perfection...Play On! ;-)
Old 02-23-2007, 04:55 AM
michael drums

Hey! Please stop taking off/removing certain threads for NO apparant reason. Why does this continue to happen? It's not fair to anyone that may want to contribute an important or inspiring post. And this thread of, Pocketmans' creation, deserves better than that! Thank You...Play On!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Hey! Please stop taking off/removing certain threads for NO apparant reason. Why does this continue to happen? It's not fair to anyone that may want to contribute an important or inspiring post. And this thread of, Pocketmans' creation, deserves better than that! Thank You...Play On!
Thanks MD. I am perfectly aware that Neil has probably more threads about him than any other drummer. My point in beginning this thread was to point out that I find Neil's straight ahead playing as inspirational as his technical, odd time, fill free-for-all's.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketman View Post
Thanks MD. I am perfectly aware that Neil has probably more threads about him than any other drummer. My point in beginning this thread was to point out that I find Neil's straight ahead playing as inspirational as his technical, odd time, fill free-for-all's.
You're welcome, Pocketman! I just feel that whoever keeps stopping certain threads is biased to who or what "they" like. It's a strange phenomenon that continues to happen to the detriment of interesting and inspiring threads/posts...Play On!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketman View Post
I'm listening to The Analog Kid from Signals right now. I can't believe how great a track it is to this day. It's not one of Rush's more popular songs nor is it a real Peart fill showcase, but I think it's the best straight forward track he ever did. On this (and on all of Signals for that matter) you can really hear him "digging-in and smacking the snare.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I actually think thats some of Alex's best guitar work...some of my friends who aren't Rush fans even like that one....

Signals was a real transition album and I'm kinda torn between liking it...some songs have cool riffs in them but some parts just don't work...like on Digital Man the shuffle groove and the little reggae riff and solo breakdown are sweet but the hook is horrible and the keys don't fit....

IMO - Chemistry is the best cut on there .....transitions are smooth and all the grooves work well together....and I like the lyrics too....

I actually dig the synth stuff (which alot of true fans don't) its just Signals sounded like an experiment to me....much more into Power Windows and Hold Your Fire....better song structure and balance between keys and guitar..

Good point about the snare...he's really crackin it....
Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Neil Peart gives a drum lesson

Hmm. Looks like nobody's posted Neil on Rick Mercer's Monday Report yet. For those who don't know, Mercer is a well-known Canadian political satirist. He had Neil give him a drum lesson a couple of months ago.

Check it out under "Week of November 7, 2006" half way down this page:

http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/backissues.php
Old 03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Neil Peart gives a drum lesson

Oh yeah i saw this a while ago on youtube. Its pretty cool lol.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Neil is the drummer who has inpired me mostly. I still remember when I listened La VIlla Strangiato first time, and after that "invented:D" playing 16th and 32th on hi-hat. To some people: he is definetly not one of the best techniqual players. But in my eyes, he has the best drum solos. Anatomy of drumsolo! First time when I saw it on youtube, I couldn't belive my eyes! He makes it so logical and easy to understand, some of my friends who doesn't know nothing about music, love it. I soon start to learn some of Rush songs. Amazing band, theire work, creativity. Awesome drummer!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM

For those Peart fans and rush fans, check out the new single at their web site http://www.rush.com/

Neil incorporated some nice double bass work in this song as well as some sweet ride work. Otherwise it seems like a pretty laid back song for him, but it flows with what the song calls for in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 PM

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/index.html

Well I am STOKED. new material, new tour that I have front row tickets for in WPB the second show of the tour, and can not wait to see and hear the new kit. AND the rest of the band!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

What does anyone think of Snakes and Arrows...?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:08 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
What does anyone think of Snakes and Arrows...?
Well...it has A LOT more acoustic guitar in it that I would have expected, but I like the fact that they stayed away from the keyboards, for the most part. The muscianship is OUTSTANDING, as usual, with my favorite songs being...The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissisim, The Way The Wind Blows, The Larger Bowl, Good News First and, We Hold On.

But the entire recording is WELL worth listening to, and have the MVI DVD on order, which comes out on June 5th! And the show @ Nissan Pavillion on June 23rd will be the "icing on the cake"...Play On! ;-)

Oh.... And as far as Neils' playing on S & A, well...the guy just drops your jaw!! STILL...after 32 years on vinyl! The Professor...indeed!

Last edited by michael drums; 05-14-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 AM

Hello Pocketman,
In reply to your thoughts on Analog Kid , and Signals in general, I do agree. This is my first post here , and while I am not a drummer , I have been an airdrummer for nearly 27 years ( boy , am I tired ! ). I do tend to miss the more 'heavy' days of Rush , but , with maturity comes increased wisdom and scope , which is what has been on display over the last decade or so. Thinking of "pounding" the snare makes me want to go watch "The Enemy Within" from the p/g Tour video.
Anyhow , hope you and everyone else can appreciate my comments. GTG - my absolute favourite just came on my playlist - Marathon.
Best wishes from Montreal.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 AM

This man has had a great influence upon my life. He was the one who I saw the best, in my opinion, a drummer to shake the ages. And that he did, he has overcame so much in his life and stuck true to his one love...Drumming, so no doubt that he is a true legend but though when he passes on no one will be able to reconcile the greatness that he had put into drumming.

Neil Peart for life!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Administrator

i have just finished watching the whole of anatomy of a drum solo.

i liked it

but there is this one little moment which i have repeat watched at least 20 times. its on disc 2 in the tom sawyer bonus section at 2:33 and the next 10 seconds say everything about what a serious powerhouse of a drummer neil is. his fills are precise and creative and just astounding. that stuf following 2:33 is so very inspiring that i'm going to get off this computer right now and go and play dr

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
i have just finished watching the whole of anatomy of a drum solo.

i liked it

but there is this one little moment which i have repeat watched at least 20 times. its on disc 2 in the tom sawyer bonus section at 2:33 and the next 10 seconds say everything about what a serious powerhouse of a drummer neil is. his fills are precise and creative and just astounding. that stuf following 2:33 is so very inspiring that i'm going to get off this computer right now and go and play dr
Can you show us a clip Jason?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:47 PM
44Ronin

The most influential rock drummer? No way , not even close in fact.

Yes he is a premier prog drummer. What is neil peart? He is neil peart of course! ....the guy who plays in rush.

Who is ringo starr? Hmm big part of the band that changed the quintessential rock and roll sound into guitar , bass and drum format. Probably inspired countless people to play the drums, and of course - no one swings quarters like Ringo!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Administrator

i think that's a very old debate ronin. neil is ONE OF the most influencial rock drummers... a whole generation or maybe a few generations of drummers have become drummers because of him. same with ringo and bonzo and probably joey and travis.

Quote:
you're entitled to your opinion of course but i think the 'not even close' bit is a bridge too far.

j

ps: i cannot fussion as it would infringe copyright. i suggest buying the DVD. you will not be disappointed.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ronin View Post

Yes he is a premier prog drummer. What is neil peart? He is neil peart of course! ....the guy who plays in rush.

Who is ringo starr? Hmm big part of the band that changed the quintessential rock and roll sound into guitar , bass and drum format. Probably inspired countless people to play the drums, and of course - no one swings quarters like Ringo!
Well, Ronin...I think A LOT more fans of "the drum" have air-drummed to Neil Peart and Rush than to the Beatles!! WITHOUT A DOUBT!!

I agree that Ringo has been a huge influence to "music" fans, but to "drumming" fans...Neil Peart is MUCH MORE influential in that department!! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

He's a DRUM GOD, Ronin!

Ringo has NOT reached that plateau, and I couldn't agree more...Play On! ;-)
Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 AM

Great drummer. The godfather of prog rock, in one of the best bands of the style: RUSH.
This is from where Mike Portnoy stole everything hahaha!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Has anyone heard the Main Monkey Business drums only matsered recording that is Neils Web site yet? It is pretty awesome, some nice technique on an intricate beat, very cool of him to put it up, It's a long recording. Be great if Drummerworld could put up a snipet of that!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Cant wait for Saturday...I get to see the man in action! My first Rush show!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
Has anyone heard the Main Monkey Business drums only matsered recording that is Neils Web site yet? It is pretty awesome, some nice technique on an intricate beat, very cool of him to put it up, It's a long recording. Be great if Drummerworld could put up a snipet of that!
Oh...THANKS, palmeris!! Gonna go there, right after this, and check it out! ;-)

And...YES! It would be great if DW does that! :-)

How 'bout it, Bernard? ;-)

Thanks again, palmeris...Play On! ;-)
Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
Cant wait for Saturday...I get to see the man in action! My first Rush show!
Excellent, franklinj!! You WON'T be dissapointed!!

I've seen him 22 times since 1982!! It'll be 23 on 23(a week from this Saturday)...Play On!

;-)
Old 06-16-2007, 06:13 PM

WOW what a show! From the front row!!!!!! So good. A complete new solo. I am still buzzing MAN that was SOOOOOOO good. The new kit looks and sounds killer. I will post a picture once I get it out of my phone

He had a snare problem about a half hour into the show. Gump had it changed out in 30 seconds, amazing. He also had some type of wierd looking prototype cymbal, looks like it has jingels rivited to it.

About 6 new tunes played. 3 hour show with a 20 minute break between sets. Man my head still hurts, but it's a happy hurt.

Oh did I say WOW!!!!!!!! my 14th tour and the first from the front row. I
Old 06-17-2007, 05:26 AM
michael drums

Wow, palmeris!! Great review!! FRONT ROW?? Excellent!!

Hope to give a review next week...Going to the Bristow, Va. show on the 23rd! ;-)

Can't wait...Play On! ;-)
Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how the hell does he tune his higher toms to get that sound? I cant even really explain the sound, it just sounds really, really good. The toms im talking about are the higher ones to the left of the traditional "main" rack tom.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how the hell does he tune his higher toms to get that sound? I cant even really explain the sound, it just sounds really, really good. The toms im talking about are the higher ones to the left of the traditional "main" rack tom.
They are cranked EXTREMELY tight. His tech says in general, the bottom heads on his toms are a bit looser than the top, but I've gotten my smaller toms to sound just like his by tuning very high with top and bottom heads matched in pitch. I mean so tight I almost can't turn the key anymore, like a marching snare...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
They are cranked EXTREMELY tight. His tech says in general, the bottom heads on his toms are a bit looser than the top, but I've gotten my smaller toms to sound just like his by tuning very high with top and bottom heads matched in pitch. I mean so tight I almost can't turn the key anymore, like a marching snare...
Kinda weird, but kinda cool...ill def have to check that out. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM

snippet of Neil's new '07 solo:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LDEOeJsi94
Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
snippet of Neil's new '07 solo:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LDEOeJsi94
Oh, THANKS xush!! Nice!!

Though...it cuts out and stops at 48 seconds, and it says that it's 5:15 long?? That seems kinda strange, huh?

Anyway...Thanks for that...Play On! ;-)
Old 06-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Franklinj

So what are your thoughts on your first Rush show and watching the man, the machine, the drum god himself?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Neil Peart is incredible for weird time signatures and off beat drumming :D!!

Can't wait to see him live :D
Old 06-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
Franklinj

So what are your thoughts on your first Rush show and watching the man, the machine, the drum god himself?
Do you even need to ask? The mans a genius.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Hello everyone...thought I might bring up a thread that hasn't had a post for a while. I actually came on here quite a lot a while back but got busy so when I came back I couldn't get into my account...anyway. I come because something has been bothering me.

I have seen many a video of Peart. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I didn't mind him. But a visit to the good old YouTube and another watch of his solos and such, and I quickly became confused. Looking at the amount of people proclaiming that drums were invented for Peart, and that without a doubt he is the greatest drummer ever to live, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I was ALMOST drawn to start an argument and become like one of those losers who sit on YouTube and drone on and on about why Derek Roddy is so much better than Joey Jordison (they're both tasteless in my opinion but that's beside the point).

Every single solo I've seen of Peart immediately reminds me of solo's I would come up with when I'd been playing for 6 months to a year. Four on the floor, semiquavers on the snare with some triplets, and some tom fills. I'm not here to say I could school Peart in a battle or that he's crap or anything like that, I've just honestly been baffled by why people continue to be so amazed by stuff that many beginners come up with for their first solo. When I was in a Mike Mangini clinic he actually said that the whole four on the floor thing is a beginnerish thing (in the sense that it's what drummers start out with, not that it's bad or anything).

If I was playing stuff so similar to Peart after such a short while of playing and only being able to play a Go-Go's greatest hits album, how is he so good?

After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy (beside the point but it doesn't hurt to show some emotion...) and who could come up with nothing but basically what would usually be a rock fill played over and over again. It bored me to tears, not because it was simple (some of the best sounding licks I've heard are simple) but because it just seemed so repetitive and uncreative.

There's hardly any dynamic range in his soloing. For the best drummer in the world he sure doesn't show any contrast. I saw an old post on here saying how he leaves heaps of space and such in his solos...I could here no space except the space between his semiquavers and the time it took him to jump around to his electronic drum kit. So often in drumming less is more...

Which leads me to the next thing. He has such a big kit, but I just see him use it so uncreatively, it's honestly uninspiring. There are so many drummers out there who create just this amazing contrast and inventive grooves and patterns on a 4-piece, meanwhile Peart continues his long semiquaver tom roll. Bill Stewart, Brian Blade, JoJo Mayer (maybe a 5-piece but close enough), it goes on. While I'm at it I might offend any others who weren't already offended :P...I haven't been so bored or confused since I saw Mike Portnoy play his monster kit.

I've tried to take the high road here folks because I've thought long and hard and I've come up with nothing except that the people who like him can only appreciate big drum kits and loud playing. I know this can't be true so I MUST be missing something. I just don't get it.

Enlighten me!

Harley
Old 07-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley_g View Post
After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy

Harley
I agree completely. His solo's are unimpressive and painful to watch. But he is an amazing drummer. Forget the solos; go listen to La Villa Strangiato off of Hemispheres if you want to hear truly superb drumming.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley_g View Post
Hello everyone...thought I might bring up a thread that hasn't had a post for a while. I actually came on here quite a lot a while back but got busy so when I came back I couldn't get into my account...anyway. I come because something has been bothering me.

I have seen many a video of Peart. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I didn't mind him. But a visit to the good old YouTube and another watch of his solos and such, and I quickly became confused. Looking at the amount of people proclaiming that drums were invented for Peart, and that without a doubt he is the greatest drummer ever to live, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I was ALMOST drawn to start an argument and become like one of those losers who sit on YouTube and drone on and on about why Derek Roddy is so much better than Joey Jordison (they're both tasteless in my opinion but that's beside the point).

Every single solo I've seen of Peart immediately reminds me of solo's I would come up with when I'd been playing for 6 months to a year. Four on the floor, semiquavers on the snare with some triplets, and some tom fills. I'm not here to say I could school Peart in a battle or that he's crap or anything like that, I've just honestly been baffled by why people continue to be so amazed by stuff that many beginners come up with for their first solo. When I was in a Mike Mangini clinic he actually said that the whole four on the floor thing is a beginnerish thing (in the sense that it's what drummers start out with, not that it's bad or anything).

If I was playing stuff so similar to Peart after such a short while of playing and only being able to play a Go-Go's greatest hits album, how is he so good?

After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy (beside the point but it doesn't hurt to show some emotion...) and who could come up with nothing but basically what would usually be a rock fill played over and over again. It bored me to tears, not because it was simple (some of the best sounding licks I've heard are simple) but because it just seemed so repetitive and uncreative.

There's hardly any dynamic range in his soloing. For the best drummer in the world he sure doesn't show any contrast. I saw an old post on here saying how he leaves heaps of space and such in his solos...I could here no space except the space between his semiquavers and the time it took him to jump around to his electronic drum kit. So often in drumming less is more...

Which leads me to the next thing. He has such a big kit, but I just see him use it so uncreatively, it's honestly uninspiring. There are so many drummers out there who create just this amazing contrast and inventive grooves and patterns on a 4-piece, meanwhile Peart continues his long semiquaver tom roll. Bill Stewart, Brian Blade, JoJo Mayer (maybe a 5-piece but close enough), it goes on. While I'm at it I might offend any others who weren't already offended :P...I haven't been so bored or confused since I saw Mike Portnoy play his monster kit.

I've tried to take the high road here folks because I've thought long and hard and I've come up with nothing except that the people who like him can only appreciate big drum kits and loud playing. I know this can't be true so I MUST be missing something. I just don't get it.

Enlighten me!

Harley
You defnitely have a point here. I remember seeing a couple jazz pieces he was playing with a big band, and I was very unimpressed. The same characteristic fills of his playing, and his swing rythym was pretty uncreative (I don't even play jazz that much and I could tell it was bad. It was just boring).

I just hope people don't start flaming you for disregarding his glory or something...

crumbdrums is right, too, though, I love the drumming on that track, just awesome.