DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Saluda Birch Snare is Here!

I posted another thread about this, but I wanted to make a new one to announce its arrival. My 4x13 Saluda Birch snare finally came in, after about 10 weeks of waiting and an extra 2 DHL late thanks to DHL.

First I want to address the finish because I had mentioned in the original thread about how Jamie told me that the drum still had buffing scratches on it, and I'd have to get rid of those myself unless I wanted them to hold the drum for a month before they could do it (I still don't know why they'd have to wait that long..). Anyway, I'm happy to say that yes, there are a few buffing scratches on it BUT, you can't see them unless you hold the drum in the light at a certain angle..they're definately nothing major. In fact if Jamie hadn't told me that they were, I probably wouldnt've thought twice after seeing them. So people might be bothered by that, but I'm fine with it. There are however a few tiny tiny bubbles in the clear coat. I found about 3. Why THOSE definately slipped by QC, I don't know, but again, it's not worth making a huge stink about. Face it, you don't look at drums through a fine tooth comb every time you see them, so in normal viewing and inspection these issues aren't that noticeable.

I have to say though that they did a great job with the color. I had originally asked for a dark walnut finish because I ordered it when I had my Catalinas and I thought that finish would look good. When I got the Renowns I casually mentioned it to Jamie and he said that it could be resprayed, so I asked for a black cherry, and sent them a picture of my Renowns. It's obviously not an exact match especially since my Renowns are a black cherry burst so the color is a tiny bit lighter, but at first glance you'd think that the snare was meant to be on that set finish wise. In the comparison pic below, my Renown snare looks alittle darker than it actually is. In person they're even closer in color.

Now to construction and sound.. I'll be honest, I haven't had a chance yet to take the drum apart and examine the bearing edges or anything but I'll do that when I change heads, and I do want to change heads. The drum came with Attack heads. A clear snare side and a CLEAR medium single-ply batter...why they put a clear batter head on the drum, I have no idea. I just ordered heads and am waiting for them to arrive, so I think for the time being I'll just go to my local store and get a coated Ambassador. They definately won't have any 13" snare side heads in stock so I'll change that at a later date. Oh back to construction...I did notice that the seam in the snare is not the tightest I've seen..It has a noticeable gap.

Sound wise, it's hard to judge right now because of the lousy heads, but it does have a nice crack, with a dry sound that has a slightly ringy edge. I think it would be pretty nice once I change the heads. I recorded a short mp3 of me just messing around on it. I haven't played much in like 5 months so the playing is lousy, don't mind that.

www.handidrummed.com/saludabirch.mp3

and here are the pics:

Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Saluda Birch Snare is Here!

You put up with alot of stuff that I would've complained about. I think if you pay top dollar then it should be PERFECT. But, thats just me. Looks alright from the pics though. Those vintage tube lugs are classy.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengedDrummer View Post
You put up with alot of stuff that I would've complained about. I think if you pay top dollar then it should be PERFECT. But, thats just me. Looks alright from the pics though. Those vintage tube lugs are classy.
Well I traded for it, I didn't pay for it, so I don't feel like I have as much room to argue there.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengedDrummer View Post
I agree with avenged, but you said you traded.. what did you trade in for that?

Sounds pretty good for that quality of audio, and the lugs are spiffy. I bet with a coated head that thing will sound nice.

Im guessing he said 30 days is because the clear coat must be an auto clear coat and that needs to cure for 30 days before you can wax, but im not sure..
Old 04-25-2007, 10:52 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
I agree with avenged, but you said you traded.. what did you trade in for that?

Sounds pretty good for that quality of audio, and the lugs are spiffy. I bet with a coated head that thing will sound nice.

Im guessing he said 30 days is because the clear coat must be an auto clear coat and that needs to cure for 30 days before you can wax, but im not sure..
I traded a Yamaha Musashi. It wasn't a bad deal because the Saluda, had I paid for it outright, would've cost more than I could've gotten for the Musashi I believe
Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Finish looks nice and those tube lugs are definitally sweet.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

The seam is just something you learn to live with when you're using Keller Shells. =) That's why we all just slap the hardware over the seam. Sounds good though and I do like the finish! Glad you got it. Now... will I get my new toy tomorrow....

Oh on the clear coat thing... Clear coats are OK to buff after 12 hours of dry time in most conditions. A full cure time varies based on the product but it's less than 30 days typically.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Looks very professional, congrats. If i could just get over the hideous font on their logo, i might buy one..
Old 04-27-2007, 04:42 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
Looks very professional, congrats. If i could just get over the hideous font on their logo, i might buy one..
I don't mind the font on the drum badge, it's rather classy looking I think. It's not the same logo as on the cymbals.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 PM
fusssion

Looks nice.........sounds NICE !!

Glad you like it......

Yes, they do use Keller shells......and YES........they DO USE AUTOMOTIVE paint / clear coats for durability,...so that could have been the timing issue......
Old 04-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Guinness

Saluda snare, eh? That little guy is sure to become a collectors item sooner than later. Saluda seems to be establishing themselves as a permanent fixture in the percussion industry. I have heard nothing but great reviews of their cymbals in particular. I hope to add a Saluda cymbal or two to my arsenal in the near future.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 PM

I've been a Saluda Cymbals endorser for 6 or 7 years now. They've come along way and I congradulate for their success in the biz.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

How'bout a close-up?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
How'bout a close-up?
Of what part? I'm really bad at taking pics of just the snare.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 PM
fourstringdrums

Money issues have come up so I'm selling this snare:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showp...&postcount=116