DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Default Saw Blades: A new mettalic sound!!

Hey Guys.

Just recently, i've been using saw blades on my kit, As i find they sound awsome, and very "shimmerng", if that's the right word. I've seen that there are some drummer's who do use saw blade's on there kit, and I would love to get some feed back on what other people think about saw blades, and other stuff that we can use on our kits!!

Cheers.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Saw Blades: A new mettalic sound!!

You have to be careful....

1, You could cut yourself.

2, There was a bloke on here called Drok, who used them, and got flamed so much by the other forum members he left.

But, it is a cool sound, so could be worth it.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Ha ha. I actuely make sure I mount them where I won't hit my hands!!

Cheers.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

[quote=fijjibo;318431]
2, There was a bloke on here called Drok, who used them, and got flamed so much by the other forum members he left./QUOTE]

you're joking aren't you?

Old 06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Well, I did a bit of searching, there was a member named Drock, and he did use sawblades.
http://drummerworld.com/forums/member.php?u=3728
But, I can't find any flaming or anything. Possibly got deleted?

Cool idea though.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

He said he was gonna leave. Not sure if he still comes online, but he had blood on his snare and stuff. People were pretty out of order now.

Tom
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Heh I had blood on my snare head at one point. Somehow managed to cut myself on my hi hats.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a good idea. I've mounted a fire bell, hubcaps, various stuff before, but never saw blades.

I suggest taking a grinder to the blades and dulling them. It would be dumb to play them sharp - you could cut yourself or someone else or, worse yet, scratch your set. Plus, blood on your drum set would look really emo.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Sounds like a good idea. I've mounted a fire bell, hubcaps, various stuff before, but never saw blades.

I suggest taking a grinder to the blades and dulling them. It would be dumb to play them sharp - you could cut yourself or someone else or, worse yet, scratch your set. Plus, blood on your drum set would look really emo.

Jeez, you got some great idea's for adding cheap and cool stuff. Right now I only have small blades on my kit, because they're like 2$. But i shall have to try bigger ones. If you have anymore idea's for "recycled" stuff, please feel free to post more or p.m. me.

cheers.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post

Haha. I was gonna suggest the same thing. My friend has one on his set and he dulled it first.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:51 PM

Exactly how do you mount saw blades? If you drilled a hole I'd imagine they spin, making them hard to hit.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

ohh the saw blades mount separate? i should try that, this whole time ive been reading this, i thought they replaced their batter head for a saw blade!, that would be pretty dumb

Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
Exactly how do you mount saw blades? If you drilled a hole I'd imagine they spin, making them hard to hit.
They are talking about circular saw blades. They already have holes in the center and are quite easy to mount. I used one in my early years of drumming over ten years ago. Cool sound, but not real loud. The blade I used was only about 6-8" diameter though. I didn't grind the edge of that one down, but that's a pretty good idea. At that time, drumsticks were more of a danger to myself than any other part of my kit.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

The one I have on my kit is only 7 and a half inchs, so I use it for more quiet settings, not as a crash. It sounds way better with my aheads then it does my wood sticks. I think a bigger saw blade should make more sound. I geuss i'll experiment..

Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 PM

i mean...yea...you hit them with your sticks, id imagine id be more inclined to buy sticks often but i dont have to hit them with my hand so unless they fall over youd be relatively safe, I dont have any saw blades but it sounds good, do they have a loud enough sound?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple Groove View Post
i mean...yea...you hit them with your sticks, id imagine id be more inclined to buy sticks often but i dont have to hit them with my hand so unless they fall over youd be relatively safe, I dont have any saw blades but it sounds good, do they have a loud enough sound?

I find after experimenting with my little 7 and a half inch one i have now, It dosen't really cut through loud music. I use it more for more quiet settings. It sound's very simular to sabian's cymbal discs, which are 90$. I like it, don't get me wrong, but I am considering experimenting with bigger sizes. I only paid 2$, and for the price, you can't go wrong. I'm also experimenting with a trash can, thinking about putting some hardware and a skin on it. I think i'm upsessed with the hardware store, as for I'm in there twice a week!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

Ya, just reserve it for quiet settings. I have a little bike bell mounted on my hats that have a real nice ding to them. They don't cut through loud parts, but quiet parts they are fun to experiment with. You should try that- bike bells. Be sure to get the type that you hit with the pull back hammer, and not the jingly type. I bought a couple of the jingly ones and they don't work quite as well, so I put them on my sons' bikes.

Something I've been pondering is PVC octobans. I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't done any research yet to find clues as the how to. More specifically, what depth I need to cut them at for specific pitches.

A cardboard box makes a nice kick drum. Five gallon bucket is nice too. What about chimes made from socket wrenches? How about mounting a bunch of crazy wind chimes around your kit? hahah You could easily make some shakers with tin cans and beans or macaroni.

If you're going to Home Depot, pick up some cable cuffs. They are real cheap and great for keeping mic and instrument cables organized. Many drummers may not need them, but I have a ton of cables here because I record and play other instruments. Get them for your band mates if you don't need them. I think they are cheaper than the velcro straps they sell for the same purpose.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Gold Member

I think saw blads kind of sound like the Factory Metal Celtic Bells, so I use those, no chance of getting hurt!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 AM

how exactly you mount saw blades and where ??? could you post pictures please ??
Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=k3ng;318459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
2, There was a bloke on here called Drok, who used them, and got flamed so much by the other forum members he left./QUOTE]

you're joking aren't you?

No. It happened ages ago though, when I was new here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
Well, I did a bit of searching, there was a member named Drock, and he did use sawblades.
http://drummerworld.com/forums/member.php?u=3728
But, I can't find any flaming or anything. Possibly got deleted?
Yeah, he made a big fuss, started swearing and stuff, so the posts got deleted by Jason and Dogbreath.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM

Post some pictures and sound files!!!!!
Pro Mark
Aquarian
Old 06-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASP3Rdrummer View Post
how exactly you mount saw blades and where ??? could you post pictures please ??

The circular saw blades already have holes in them, so just put it on a stand and you're ready to go. By all means, I put my blades on top of crashes, and they're high enough that I don't get hurts. It's probaly also because I use Big sticks, and I hold them near the end. I Haven't got hurt yet.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
Ya, just reserve it for quiet settings. I have a little bike bell mounted on my hats that have a real nice ding to them. They don't cut through loud parts, but quiet parts they are fun to experiment with. You should try that- bike bells. Be sure to get the type that you hit with the pull back hammer, and not the jingly type. I bought a couple of the jingly ones and they don't work quite as well, so I put them on my sons' bikes.

Something I've been pondering is PVC octobans. I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't done any research yet to find clues as the how to. More specifically, what depth I need to cut them at for specific pitches.

A cardboard box makes a nice kick drum. Five gallon bucket is nice too. What about chimes made from socket wrenches? How about mounting a bunch of crazy wind chimes around your kit? hahah You could easily make some shakers with tin cans and beans or macaroni.

If you're going to Home Depot, pick up some cable cuffs. They are real cheap and great for keeping mic and instrument cables organized. Many drummers may not need them, but I have a ton of cables here because I record and play other instruments. Get them for your band mates if you don't need them. I think they are cheaper than the velcro straps they sell for the same purpose.

It's amazing what the home depot has. I just put the "felt stickie things' (sorry, don't remember the names)that you put under chairs to not scratch floors, on my kick drum, as a pad, to make it sound like a nice old school Bonzo feel. It works very well to. I put one at the 11 o' clock position on the inside of the batter head on my snare. Get's rid of the over ringing, but not so much that it makes it sound dead. Man, if i would of known that this thread was going to become like this, I would of called it the "Hardware store Inventions" thread. (LOL). I love all the idea's every one is giving. I'm right now working on makeing a metal trash can into an alternate tom, with the exception of that i have all the stuff I need to make a 14 inch one. (I have the rim, hardware, and skins).

Keep posting your ideas!

cheers..