DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-23-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Choosing Heads

Hi!

So I'm going to buy some new heads for my kit. I was thinking getting Coated Emperors over Clear Ambassadors on the toms and Coated CS Black Dot over Clear Ambassador on the snare drum. Is that a good choice?

But I don't know, which batter head to choose for the bass drum. I'm leaving the reso head stock.What's the difference of coated and clear bass drum batter heads? What heads do you recommend to me? And coated or clear?

Beacuse I'm a begginer and I don't play a certain music style, I don't know what do I want from the sound of the bass drum.

Oh, and the drums are TAMA Superstar Custom (22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11 and snare is 14x5) The shells are birch and basswood.

Thank you!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Choosing Heads

I just put a aquarian superkick I batter on my bass and am well pleased with it, it gives a lovely deep thump, a real classic bass drum sound. I think an evans emad will give similar results too. I don't think you will go wrong if you get either of these but there are many other possibilities for your bass head which others with greater knowledge will point out.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

I dont know if intermediate sets like a superstar do well with coated heads. Usually coated heads are reserved for high end kit. Nothing wrong with a superstar, but it might do better with a clear G2 or pinstripe.

For bass: clear emad + remad, or clear EQ4 + EQ3, or PS3 + PS3.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Coated emperors are great.
I own them and they really give a fat warm sound that is great for the music i play.

all bass heads requested earlier are fine choices.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
da cheese walks

i hate evans heads...

i use the coated emperors....used coated ambassadors till recently...but decided to try for the coated emperors...theyre lovely,deep and also coated for that extra...YEAH!

i dunno about puttin an ambassador on the reso of oyur snare....i always thought the snare reso had to be really really thin??
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks View Post

i dunno about puttin an ambassador on the reso of oyur snare....i always thought the snare reso had to be really really thin??
Yes, it's called "snare side ambassador". You have snare heads in different weights.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

I definitely wouldn't say coated heads are reserved for high end kits... You might say that single ply heads tend to be better suited to pro level gear because the edges, etc are precise enough to facilitate tuning. Any of the above selections are fine. On my old pearl exports I tried everything from pinstripes to fiberskyns and they all worked.

I did just recently put an Aquarian Super Kick II on my Taye bass drum and it sounds killer. I like it much better than the old Evans Hydraulic I had. My drum has no ports in the front and no muffling other than the built in ring around the head and it sounds great.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:12 PM

But can anyone tell what is the diffrence of coated and clear bass drum batter heads?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:38 PM

really, same difference as regular coated or clear heads. Coated are more warm, some say that clear sound "plasticy", but I wouldn't really know. Try some different ones, see what you like. Heads aren't too expensive.